It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Central Florida banks to ban hats, sunglasses and hoods, cops say...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Apparently Central Florida has a problem with bank robberies, but thanks to our fearless leaders there's a way to stop the criminals from robing the banks. All the banks have to do is ban all costumers from wearing hats, sunglasses and hoodies. And wala, problem solved... Obviously a bank robber will most definitely obey the new rule and take his hat, hoodie and sunglasses off before entering the bank to rob it.

And thanks to the $hit load of cameras recording every inch in the bank, it will be very easy to identify and capture the stupid bastard who chose to ignore the ban on bank robberies but obeyed the ban on wearing a hat, sunglasses or a hoodie.

Longwood banks to ban hats, sunglasses and hoods, cops say

Most Longwood banks are implementing a new policy banning customers from wearing hats, sunglasses and hoods as part of a new public safety program, police said in a statement. The new policy is in response to "the rising number of bank robberies occurring in Central Florida," the Police Department said in a statement. "The simple act of removing hats, hoods and sunglasses in Longwood financial institutions will make it much easier to identify and capture anyone committing a crime."

This will definitely work because officers stuck decals on the front doors of the banks informing customers of the new policy.

When will the madness stop?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Most Longwood banks are implementing a new policy banning customers from wearing hats, sunglasses and hoods as part of a new public safety program, police said in a stat

You can count me as a new customer of the banks that are NOT implementing this stupid policy.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
That's funny. Here in South Alabama that policy has been in place for about a year now,
and surprisingly enough, bank robberies have declined.
However, Dollar store robberies have increased exponentially.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by amarenell

My credit union has the same policy here in AZ.

Remember: Hats, hoodies and sunglasses are common sense accessories to confound or fool facial recognition software. The sign at my CU specifically says it is due to the camera's.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret

Longwood banks to ban hats, sunglasses and hoods, cops say

I am surprised they have not done this already. In the Northwest where I live...when I go into my bank...you cannot have any of those things on..at all.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

This is a policy implemented by the banks themselves is it not ? Similar to no shirt, no shoes, no service.

I for one have never understood why banks have cameras on the ceiling instead of embedded right there in the teller window.

Penny

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

My local bank here in Upstate, NY has the same rule. Although I can't count how many times I've broken that rule. Lol. I think it's just a minor security measure, obviously.

I really couldn't care less about it.

I have yet to be 'ordered' to take my hood off. And if I were told to do so, I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The banks are going to lose a lot of customers if that happens. There are a lot of Finns that retire down there or are snowbirds. The guys wear hats all the time so their bald spot doesn't get sunburnt

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Ok, some might think this rule is crazy, but I would feel more comfortable if the people around me at a bank aren't dressing as if they could possibly rob me. Maybe, it because as someone that frequents a conspiracy site, I feel that I have a protective sense of paranoia about me anyway. Besides, If I was a bank owner (which i probably never would be) I would probably NOT want some customers scaring away others.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pennylemon

I for one have never understood why banks have cameras on the ceiling instead of embedded right there in the teller window.

They do it because they want to watch the tellers as much as they want to watch the customers. One camera watches both the teller and the customer, as opposed to needing one for each (and double the number of inputs that need to be monitored.)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

I for one, don't like having my face recorder everywhere I go. But... I have no other choice so I'm not really complaining about it. Just saying that pretty soon we'll be so paranoid that we'll allow the police department to put a camera pointing to our front door so they will know exactly who is coming in and out of our house.... For our safety of course.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Florida was the first state to fully integrate the Real ID drivers licenses with its biometric facial recognition tracking database. They obviously don't want anything obscuring your face for this reason.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I assumed this has been nationwide for some time. It has been in effect here for at least 10 years give or take.

Funny thing is when I wore a hat I still went in with it as well as sunglasses if needed. I even got a loan with a hat on my head when this was in effect.

Now that I do not wear a hat any longer (aside from when I am out in the sun collecting fossils) that is not an issue. I still go in with sunglasses (unless it is a work light and I am working I like it darker), and if it is cold enough I wear my hoody. Nothing has been said yet. It might be that I am a customer that has money tied up in their business.

Edit to add: I think how you carry yourself has a lot to do with if they will bother you or not.

Raist
edit on 5/13/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In Chicago the banks have had signs on the doors stating this for years. No one obeys it and I've never seen it enforced.

I can't say it's a bad idea in theory, but why would a bank robber obey this? Obviously he wouldn't, he is robbing a bank already.

Ultimately it's a way for someone to get more pictures and video of you. Probably so they can send you junk mail, or add your face to a database.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

I for one, don't like having my face recorder everywhere I go. But... I have no other choice so I'm not really complaining about it. Just saying that pretty soon we'll be so paranoid that we'll allow the police department to put a camera pointing to our front door so they will know exactly who is coming in and out of our house.... For our safety of course.

This is a policy implemented by the banks themselves is it not ? Similar to no shirt, no shoes, no service.

I think it's the police department policy that banks are participating in.

According to Longwood police, banks participating in the program include Chase, Fairwinds Credit Union, Fifth Third, Fidelity, Old Florida National, Pinnacle, Wells Fargo and Trustco. Officers stuck decals on the front doors of the banks informing customers of the new policy, the Police Department said.

edit on 13-5-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Meh - the bank is not public property so they can make the rule. Its the same as "No shoes, no shirt, no service". It doesn't mean anyone has to bank there, but they have the right to make the rule.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Funny thing this. I moved to Oregon from Florida where none of this was a requirement.

I took a check from work up to be handled. I had never been to this bank, knew none of these rules. The bank wasn't open yet so I sat out front in my car and waited patiently. 30 minutes after the bank was supposed to have opened a police car pulled into the parking space behind me. I got tired of waiting there so I pulled over to the strip mall to look around, the officers followed and pulled me over. They asked why I was sitting there, which I told them, ID info etc.

Simply because my car still had Florida license plates and I was sitting in my car the opening staff called police to report me as a potential threat. I was livid. Went into the bank and recounted the happening with the officers and what did they do? Tried to offer me an account there. Told them it would be a cold day in Hell before I would open an account there if that was how they treated people waiting patiently for them to open.

Told my boss about what happened and she called the bank as well to complain. The Customer whose check I was sent to cash was also informed and they complained as well. The bank lost a couple of large accounts that day because of that.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Thalestris

Yeah nowadays we are all guilty until proven innocent. Sad but true.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I was though all banks did this already? And of course it is less about the robbery itself and more about the place being cased. That is why this ends up working to reduce robberies.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Wow, there are still some places that let you enter wearing helmets/glasses/hats?

In the UK, you're prevented from entering ANY major store/bank/post office/anywhere that handles a large amount of cash, until you've removed your headgear.

It kinda causes problems for me, as I have to wear darkened prescription glasses, due to a photosensitivity caused by a significant amount of laser retinal ablation. Even interior lights are too bright for me to be comfortable, and without my glasses, Im as blind as a bat, but I accept it because it has significantly reduced robberies.

Guess you guys must like being robbed if you're objecting to a relativly minor and logical change in policy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join