It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure, but is this natural or artifical?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Reading another thread about possible structures in the Antarctic, and doing my own research, I found this 'object' in the ice:

Why does this come to my attention? Its almost a PERFECT rectangle. Would something like this occur NATURALLY?

This is the area I found it in, I follow the coastlines or Antarctica, knowing most settlements usually are found along the coast or other places of natural waterways.
The coordinates are at the bottom of each pic

If this can be debunked, please tell me how this shape can occur naturally.
Enlighten me

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Got any pics of you zoomed in closer and totally zoomed in? i see you are halfway with the zoom function..

Does getting closer give you a clue or become terribly corrupted?

Remember geometric shapes have been proven to occur naturally in certain situations.. in the snow tho... wonder if its something buried..loss of cliff faces/rocks in that area could be edge of something like that, anyway withholding comment until the uber image analysts take this one apart

edit on 13/5/13 by Quantum_Squirrel because: added additional thoughts

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The first question I have is, "What is the scale of the object?" It is a mile across or 60 feet across? Knowing the scale could narrow down the possibilities in my opinion.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Isn't this area indicated on your image off the coast?

The thin yellow line shows the landmass / coastal region under the ice, so logically the rectangle isn't part of the mainland.

Not sure what it is, but would guess a large chunk of ice broke off, flowed a little way off coast and refroze where it is now.

edit on 13-5-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

How do we debunk something like this
It has to be bunked before it can be debunked. Interesting photo but it could be natural or manmade, I doubt that it could be properly evaluated without going there and seeing it.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

here's a closeup

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Is there any way to estimate it's size?

I'm betting it is to big to be an airplane wing, but that was kind of a funny thought I had.
Also wonder if you could find meteors in Antarctica in the snow this way if you can zoom in enough....

Whatever it is, it is a cool pic!
S&F

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
All it is is the hole created in the ice sheet by a cigar-shaped, alien "mother ship" when it came out from under the ocean.

Simple, really, when you are allowed to use your imagination

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The date of the image says 12/31/1998. Can't you use those coordinates and find an image that is newer? This should help confirm it's not just ice if it's still there and appears the same.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

never thought of that....

ETA: I'm now thinking its an ice floe that broke off and caught up in ice, formation debunked, thanks to TLWL for suggesting i check up on a recent map of the area

I have denied ignorance in myself

edit on 5/13/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
good find!

looks man made but who knows.

thanks for posting

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

As others said, there's no context -- and yes, a volcanic sill or a slip fault could indeed cause something like that. If you're going to explore regions of the Earth and attempt to find out more about them, maps and records are your best resource. From the air, land formations look very different than they do from the ground, and something seen at a 1:60 scale may look smooth and regular (when a close examination would show a rough and natural surface.)

You really can't "just look" at something -- you need to know what you're looking at (maps, old expedition records, etc.)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

it looks to me like a large lump of ice sitting on top of even more ice....

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Yeah I jumped the gun a lil on this, but I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong, if its a fluke, then I learned something, which in this case I did

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I wonder if it's possible/likely the 'anomaly' is a glitch in Google Earth?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The possibility's are quite numerous, yes there are many natural structures that can create this type of shape but how large is it, there are also many man made object's on Antarctica from recent to modern expeditions and there have been may aircraft lost over the area as well, I would assume it is very large to appear on Google earth so believe it to be a natural formation, if it was in context with other similar shapes geometric and straight line's then it would warrant genuine exploration. SF nice find.

Looks like it is off the coast in coastal ice, maybe a capsized or ice bound ship.
edit on 15-5-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by Byrd

Yeah I jumped the gun a lil on this, but I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong, if its a fluke, then I learned something, which in this case I did

So few people on this site will actually admit when they are wrong or when they realize that what they posted was actually nothing extraordinary. Although this appears to be nothing really exciting (even though we really don't positively know), I offer up my meager S & F for setting an example of integrity with your admission.

Well done sir!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Thank you sir!!
We all deny ignorance when we admit when we are wrong

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It's easy to be fooled. Here's an image of a patch of land in northern Alaska. With the squares and rectangles, it sure looks artificial, huh? Like the ruins of an ancient city?

join