It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's pressure-cooker rice dish sparks panic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Student's pressure-cooker rice dish sparks panic

www.news.com.au

A US student was surrounded by armed FBI agents after neighbours spotted him with a pressure cooker and called police.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13/5/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/5/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Just because they are called out, does it mean they have to blame the innocent person? For crying out loud, what wrong did this guy do? Nothing, but they warned him anyway. Add to this that they stopped carrying pressure cookers in some Boston stores after the bombing and we will one day be asking WTF? when the FBI surround our house because we accidently snapped a heavy book shut and it made a boom sound.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What they are going to have to ultimately do is put in a high pressure "blow out" area in these items so they cannot be used for such nefarious reasons in the future.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I don't do it often, but I'm gonna shamelessly quote myself from another thread.
The thread in question refers to the assumed school shooting on may 9th. See thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Indeed, I mean really next thing you know u won't be able to carry a bottle in your jacket, you might be carrying a gun. If you see how people are getting utterly scared and paranoid.

So yeah, I would say all is going according to plan.

To where a fellow poster replied

It is you who seems to be paranoid, and jumping to radical conclusions.

And my final post.

Thread proves me right, also, a person did call the police for seeing something they deemed suspicious? did they not? how many SWAT car's came on the scene?

Its a game of stamina.

And besides, I don't have to prove anything. I'l let the MSM do it for me.

So again the plan is working. This will keep on going untill people are begging for armored vehicles and patrol's on the streets.

Fear gives the worst advice.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
US terror is winning, when people live in fear of pressure cooker rice... and effectively, chinese take-out.

Yea, alot of those dishes (ie, the tender chicken, shrimp & beef strips) are so delish thanks to pressure cookers.. (not that i trust eating US livestock anymore)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Indeed, I mean really next thing you know u won't be able to carry a bottle in your jacket, you might be carrying a gun.

Carrying a bottle can already be dangerous in some neighborhoods: Jordan Miles

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Jeepers, they'd flip out if I had ever converted a pressure cooker into a home made still.

Bought a real still instead.

But yeah, I don't see an agenda. I just see a stupid world going stupider..

I started to see this when people were being arrested for writing with chalk on sidewalks. nothing surprises me any more.

eta-

heres a funny thing tho. I just googled the dish. Why was he using the pressure cooker to take it to his friends place?

www.google.com.au...

not a single image of it in a pressure cooker. Who actually takes the entire cooker along when they've made a meal? Are we sure he wasn't just being a smart arse?? Knowing he'd likely make the news?

And I don't put it past people, it fits in with the stupid world we are living in...

edit on 13-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
What they are going to have to ultimately do is put in a high pressure "blow out" area in these items so they cannot be used for such nefarious reasons in the future.

Designing a relief valve that can't be jammed would be hard to do though.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I think the blow-out idea isn't just another valve but something like the bottom blowing off the thing. Normal pressure for a cooker is 15 PSI. I don't know what the internal pressure would be if you packed it with explosives but I'm sure it would be much much much higher than that, thousands of PSI. If they built it so the bottom easily blows off at something like 30 PSI it would still be perfectly useful as a pressure cooker but less useful as a bomb case. I'm just taking a guess about this, so anyone feel free to correct me.

Still seems kind of silly to me, but if it makes people feel better than whatever.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I am disgusted by this. With the FBI for cautioning a fellow who enacted the appalling heresy of cooking a meal, yes of course, but most of all I am disgusted by the pathetic, spineless, ignorant and utterly warrantless FEAR of these neighbor folk.

"Oh God! I just saw a fella who isnt white carrying a pressure cooker! Its terrorism I tells ya! Send Homeland Security down here !!!"

Gutless. Utterly gutless. I have seen more backbone in the invertebrates section of the local Sea Life centre. Jellyfish have stronger spines. You dont stop using the buses just because some blew up in London once. You dont stop flying because some twits decided to plough some aircraft into a building, and you do not cause an innocent mans lunch to get him swept up in an FBI op, just because he is carrying it in the vessel in which it was cooked, no matter how that item may have been used.

If I had five minutes with the limp-wristed wretch who called the fuzz on this guy... honestly.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

You don't make it a relief valve, you make it a very specifically engineered “weak” spot in the materials that will “blow out” if the pressure builds beyond a certain level. Air tanks have a similar system in them, as do high pressure tires such as those on aircraft. The end user would not even be aware of its existence or location on the device, making it impossible to bypass.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Don't they already have that safety feature installed on most modern pressure cookers? If so, it's not like it would be hard to circumvent....just sayin....

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I was having lunch with some friends yesterday that had been planning on visiting the US for a holiday. However, now they have canceled their plans due to feeling that the US is to dangerous, violent and just plain not safe to visit. Couldn't blame them though, with all the news about shootings, police beatings, no fly lists, TSA issues and now people calling the police because someone had a pressure cooker. People in the US are insane and paranoid.

Even suggesting that a pressure cooker needs a weak area so that it can't be used as a 'bomb' container is the height of paranoia. Whats the next thing you are going to be afraid of...someone breaking wind!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

You reliably predicting
the future now defense
configuration five?

Is that some "insider information"
you are getting from your
contact at Homeland Security?

Can you describe the
"high pressure blowout"
that pressure cooker
manfacturers ultimately
will be installing?
edit on 13-5-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I use a pressure cooker for everyday dishes, the seal is missing so it's useless a a "pressure cooker" but it makes a very good pot being made of heavy material, as well as it's size. not to mention that locking lid makes for a great pot to transport food in without as much spillage as the lid does not fall off.

I also tend to take food i make in the pot/pan i make it in if i take it anywhere, less dishes that way besides much easier to reheat when it is in what you used to cook it.

so we can see just how pathetic people have become when an everyday item is cause for the FBI to be called out, just because you are seen with it. i wonder how much money was wasted on this "see something, say something" piece of useless suspicion? or how this waste of time and effort impacted on solving REAL crimes, while they went out to deal with "deadly cooking wear" issue?

jeez people are turning into little yellow morons. freaking out at the slightest thing that "could be used" as a weapon, turning into masses of jello and crapping their pants. people need to GET A GRIP. after all ANYTHING at all can be used/turned into a weapon, how long till it hits. "oh my god he's wearing clothes, he might be hiding a weapon", that's no more ridicules than freaking out and calling in a report about someone with a "deadly pot". good god i just can't believe how stupid and scared of their own bloody shadows people are becoming.
the "TERRORISTS" just keep on winning the war on terror. this is just yet ANOTHER example of the truth of that :shk:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
People in the US are insane and paranoid.

Even suggesting that a pressure cooker needs a weak area so that it can't be used as a 'bomb' container is the height of paranoia. Whats the next thing you are going to be afraid of...someone breaking wind!

suggesting a blow out area is similar to a lot of foul smelling gas.
it is the epitome of paranoia.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This isn't rocket science by any stretch here.
We have been engineering metals to specific tolerances to fail in known “safe” patterns for years. Just as an example, shear pins. It is not hard for them to design a pot where the tolerance of the locking mechanism fails when a certain tolerance threshold is reached. Its also possible to make the metal weak in a big “X” that then opens the top or bottom sort of like how a “jiffy pop” opens.

Again, this is not difficult to do, and we have had the ability to build things to fail at specific tolerance, in a known fashion, for a long time.This kind of stuff is used a LOT in the transportation industries, including with cars and aircraft.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
well here's a pic of a blow out panel on a standard tank used for an air compressor, the panel itself is the oval section, this is a last resort if the standard relief valve also fails. ie you would still # yourself thinking a bomb had gone off.

www.eatoncompressor.com...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing at this story.....

"there's an Arab crossing the street holding a rice cooker, get him!"

At some point, we just have to laugh at the absurdity of it.

"Akmed has a crock pot, we're DOOMED!"
Seriously, let's hope this nonsense ends before it gets worse, shall we? Caution is one thing, paranoia, quite another.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

I couldnt agree more. This fear means that whatever terroristic motive there may have been for the events at the Boston Marathon, has been fulfilled and that those responsible have won, and that should shame the dickens out of the people who clamour for big brother to save them. I mean theres playing into the hands of a wider agenda, and then theres this absolute mess.

Furthermore, on a slightly different tack. I read another post in this thread which contained a question something along the lines of "Who the hell carries food around in the pan it was cooked in anyway?".

I would just like to answer this point. Unless you live forty miles from your nearest neighbor, or have absolutley no family, have never had a get together with friends, been remotely active in your immediate neighborhood, there is no way you can reach adult hood without knowing that people transport food in the vessels in which they were cooked, all the time. An example. Every year for the past five or so years, my mother and her friend from just down the street, share the cooking duties at Christmas time. Dishes of food are transported in the vessels in which they are cooked, to save on things breaking up in transit from one container to the next, and during the walk from one place to another.

The dishes are then assembled on thier serving plates at our home, after we ferry them back from our friends place, and placed next to those dishes which have been prepared at our place. A gutbusting Christmas meal is enjoyed by all.

When I make cheesecake, say if a friend is having a barbeque and needs a sweet after dinner treat, I transport it in the container which it was first created. Same with taking a casserole round to a friend if they are short on food, or have a broken wrist (which I had to do for a pal of mine who had her wrist broken during a fall on ice three years ago).

I would imagine the poor fellow from the case at hand, didnt have a container of enough volume, to transport the whole of the meal he had prepared, and resorted to carrying the entire panful with him. And why the hell shouldnt he?

SHAME I SAY! Shame on anyone who believes that this fellow really has any case to answer, for cooking a meal and taking it to a friends house, to be sociable and break bread with his fellow man ! Its hard enough in this day and age, finding ways to keep the traditions of eating with friends, of community, of conducting healthy friendships and remaining SANE, without being lambasted for doing something which would seem entirely natural if not for the lack of intestinal fortitude amongst the populus.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join