It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming believers get so angry when you don't believe...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
So, I was on reddit just a bit ago and got into an (accidental) discussion with somebody about the subject of global warming. The argument was heading to a point that I felt would soon devolve to name-calling and bashing, and so I ended it the most amicable way I knew how. It just really took me by surprise how angry someone can get when you don't subscribe to the main-stream view on the subject. Really I guess any subject could end up this way. It really opened my eyes to some things. Here's the thread if anyone is interested. [link] www.reddit.com... [/link]

I could really hear the anger in the other person's final reply. I must say, wow...

The ironic thing is that it was on the athiest subreddit, and I guess I thought that people there would be a little more open-minded...guess I was wrong. In a way it opened my eyes to the way I have been treating religious believers. Do I come across that way to them? (rhetorical question)

-Lobe
edit on 13-5-2013 by LobeDethFaurt because: Capitalization fix...

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I have no interest in clicking on that link, but could it be that the person does not buy your view because it lacks substance, like religion?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
I have no interest in clicking on that link, but could it be that the person does not buy your view because it lacks substance, like religion?

My view lacks substance? Is that what you're saying? I'm just making sure I understand you correctly. if not, please feel free to correct me.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LobeDethFaurt

Believe / Dont believe... This is the incorrect way to be thinking about such things. That topic is highly complex and is not just right or wrong. Many corrupt lies are involved in the global warming movement. Along with ignorant sheeple that believe by caring they are caring about the environment.

All that aside "Climate Change" exists. Whether humans are to blame is somewhat of an after thought. Debating whether or not our gas fumes are causing/affecting "Global Warming" is retarded. Carcinogenic means bad. If our emissions are not the cause of our current climate extremes is irrelevant to the fact that many of our societies by-products are carcinogenic.

People who take a strong view on "Global Warming" either way seem to have missed the point completely. Emotional responses either way to a MEDIA SPUN TOPIC.

Global Warming = Created phrase to try confuse people and foster a scenario where "Carbon Taxes" can be introduced and exploited by the elites.

Climate Change = Verifiable changes in the earths systems. whether created by humans or unknown origins is legitimate.

Your title and the general feeling of your post leads me to believe your fueling the designed fire as opposed to actually looking at things properly
edit on 13-5-2013 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LobeDethFaurt
My view lacks substance? Is that what you're saying? I'm just making sure I understand you correctly. if not, please feel free to correct me.

It was a question whether it could be that way.
Considering that you are calling Global Warming "main stream something something", it leans towards the fact that instead of relying on science, you might have some other explanation not supported by anything?
Hence the annoyed atheist.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz

Believe / Dont believe... This is the incorrect way to be thinking about such things. That topic is highly complex and is not just right or wrong. Many corrupt lies are involved in the global warming movement. Along with ignorant sheeple that believe by caring they are caring about the environment.

All that aside "Climate Change" exists. Whether humans are to blame is somewhat of an after thought. Debating whether or not our gas fumes are causing/affecting "Global Warming" is retarded. Carcinogenic means bad. If our emissions are not the cause of our current climate extremes is irrelevant to the fact that many of our societies by-products are carcinogenic.

People who take a strong view on "Global Warming" either way seem to have missed the point completely. Emotional responses either way to a MEDIA SPUN TOPIC.

Global Warming = Created phrase to try confuse people and foster a scenario where "Carbon Taxes" can be introduced and exploited by the elites.

Climate Change = Verifiable changes in the earths systems. whether created by humans or unknown origins is legitimate.

Your title and the general feeling of your post leads me to believe your fueling the designed fire as opposed to actually looking at things properly
edit on 13-5-2013 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

I will agree with you there...I agree that climate change is real. You are right that the conversation was fueled my emotion. I got aggravated, the other person did as well. I see your point...perhaps I should rethink my stance. I just think...but I guess that is the problem. I don't know, CAN'T know, the truth of the subject because of all of the conflicting information out there. It's really difficult to find the truth among all of the lies. None of us can really know until whatever happens...happens.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I think the main problem with the term global warming is that people instantly paint a mental picture of the earth turning into a barren desert when they hear that term.
This is of course not true at all, and the phenomena we call global warming would be better named as global extreme weather as it actually encompasses all the crazy cold weather that the usa has been having of late and all anomalies in between the two extemes.
For example, meanwhile, here in Australia summer will just not let go. we have just had a break in a heatwave that has made this the hottest and driest May in 92 years. This is only 3 years after the second "once in a thousand year' heatwaves in a row.
The weather patterns ARE changing, the moot question however, is what's causing it, human activity or a natural cycle.
edit on 13-5-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

You are wise, markosity. Peace.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Originally posted by LobeDethFaurt

It was a question whether it could be that way.
Considering that you are calling Global Warming "main stream something something", it leans towards the fact that instead of relying on science, you might have some other explanation not supported by anything?
Hence the annoyed atheist.

I see what you were saying. Sorry if I sounded annoyed by your reply. I guess my beliefs are driven by fear...fear of death, for one: fear of the unknown. Fear of change. Aspergers causes me to be afraid of any kind of change. I kind of HAVE to believe that things will be ok for my own peace of mind.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973
I think the main problem with the term global warming is that people instantly paint a mental picture of the earth turning into a barren desert when they hear that term.
This is of course not true at all, and the phenomena we call global warming would be better named as global extreme weather as it actually encompasses all the crazy cold weather that the usa has been having of late and all anomalies in between the two extemes.
For example, meanwhile, here in Australia summer will just not let go. we have just had a break in a heatwave that has made this the hottest and driest May in 92 years. This is only 3 years after the second "once in a thousand year' heatwaves in a row.
The weather patterns ARE changing, the moot question however, is what's causing it, human activity or a natural cycle.
edit on 13-5-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

Where I live it is the opposite. Winter doesn't seem to want to let go. I agree that what is causing it is a moot point: I think of the earth becoming like venus, and I become terrified. I can see it happening, yet refuse to believe what I see.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I got a lot of info from the site www.iceagenow.com
edit on 13-5-2013 by LobeDethFaurt because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2013 by LobeDethFaurt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
global warming is definitely happening, are humans the cause of it? I think not. If you look at any facet of life from ants to planets, things happen in cycles, we just happen to be in a warming phase as we, in this present time observe our surroundings. After we warm, it will get cold again and the cycle will start over.

Did anyone ever see that twilight zone were the earth was boiling hot, but it turned out to be a dream, and what was actually happening was the earth was getting colder, I think this episode was a metaphor for exactly what I just described

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Intersting site - all info I have seen before. It seems that the volcanic activity is something that was not taken into account with the original global warming theory. All that ash being ejected into the atmosphere is actually blocking some of the sunlight hence the crzy cold winters in the northern hemisphere. Here down south we are seeing the opposite, New Zealand is having major droughts and south australia is suffering the same fate.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think of it like this.

If you got home and found your house on fire, do you light a ciggy and go "Ahh well, I didn't do it.." and toss your lit match on the house or do you go "Crikey, bloody hell the house is on fire, get the fire ambulance!!!"

It's pointless to ask your neighbours if they agree if the house is on fire or not. By time you both come to an agreement, it's cinders... and you've got no where to live.

We don't have the luxury of moving planets, yet... and the way we pollute the planet, we aren't really turning on the sprinklers while we argue about it.

Ultimately, if the earth says "Oi you lot, sod off.." she's not going to argue about it with us.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There simply isn't enough data to sway me one way or the other. For every report showing evidence for Global Warming, I can find one showing the exact opposite. Only in hindsight are we really going to know, because we simply haven't been around long enough to know, and we can learn only so much from geological evidence.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The Earth is warming rapidly. This has been the prevailing trend since the last ice age. That is indisputable fact.
Anyone denying that lacks a connection to reality. Decoupling from reality is a growing trend. I know --shocking.

The remaining scientific questions revolve around the root cause or causes and if there is anything that could or should be done about it.

For science deniers, I hear la la land is really blissful this time of year. Send me a post card.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

In the past century, average Earth temperature (which itself, is actually pretty inaccurate, as it is based on a conglomeration of numerous weather stations, over many years, with numerous methods) has risen less ONE DEGREE.

The Earth's average surface temperature rose by 0.74±0.18 °C over the period 1906–2005.

This difference is NOT statistically significant, (especially when factoring in the variances in the data reporting methods) as any first-year stat class student could tell you.

2010 saw the COLDEST winter in decades here for us in FL, followed by some of the most milder winters recently, so no "trend" here...just the constant up and down.

For anyone trotting out the old "but scientists say it is" argument...no, there is just as much debate there as well, such as this list of scientists who disagree....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

You used the Flying spaghetti monster to create peace between you and your fellow redditor.

Well done. The correllation between average global temperature rise

and the increase in the amount of pirates simply cannot be denied.

If there was no global warming we would still have an ice age.

It wasn't that long ago, geologically speaking, since the last one, so we are still coming out of it.

Who ever said that the climate would ever be stable?

It has always changed and always will.

People have always dealt with catastrophic weather, often badly.

We pump poison into the water and air,

we create imbalance and monoculture.

Of course we influence the climate, but probably 100% not as much as the sun.

What we have done is create a new "poison" a new "Bogeyman"

Carbon dioxide

Plants can utilize a lot more CO2 than we have in our atmosphere.

Good on you for using God to end the argument.

Her noodly appendages manipulate the outcome of every scientific experiment anyway.

Tfw.

top topics

join