It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the first time, scientists have grown the embryos of an extinct species

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I understand what you mean but even as a non believer just think about what you are saying as a "what if" scenario...

What if God is real? This means that mans hand made these animals extinct because of God's will.....If you believe in "everything happens for a reason" then you believe in some sort of God......This means these animals are extinct for a reason.....IE: God's will....

This is purely a "what if" even if you don't believe in God just think of this stuff this way....Since it can't be proven one way or another.....The last thing anyone wants to do is piss off God IF he is real......Know what I mean?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rabb420

It's already in many hot dogs....the first ingredient is chicken.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by RAY1990

I understand what you mean but even as a non believer just think about what you are saying as a "what if" scenario...

What if God is real? This means that mans hand made these animals extinct because of God's will.....If you believe in "everything happens for a reason" then you believe in some sort of God......This means these animals are extinct for a reason.....IE: God's will....

This is purely a "what if" even if you don't believe in God just think of this stuff this way....Since it can't be proven one way or another.....The last thing anyone wants to do is piss off God IF he is real......Know what I mean?

Good point, but if the reason god punished Adam and Eve was because they ate the fruits of the knowledge tree then a lot of these animals are dead because of the labors of those fruit, another thing to ponder I guess.

Believe it or not I believe in God just not the religious institutions version of him/her and personally this tech would not exist if it were not for gods will in my opinion. Also if god did work in such mysterious ways would we not be angering him when we save people from earthquakes and floods etc?

Just speaking hypothetically ofcourse
I always enjoy talking about things like this with the religiously inclined, to question and discuss can only be a good thing.

Maybe our biggest mistake is mistaking what God's will really is? afterall god is everything and everywhere, he/she also created everything so if you consider that nothing has ever existed unless God willed it... inluding this technology?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

To answer your hypothetical question, my answer would be no...

God wanted those people saved from earthquakes or floods, etc.....Those people still served a purpose here so man was meant to save them.....

When your time comes, no matter your age or ethical backround, your time has come......People always argue with me about children dying as their defense....Although it is a tradgedy and I am not one to enjoy any story of children dying, it happens.....Maybe that child was going to grow up to be the next Hitler, you never know the reason but it happens for a reason....

I believe in God also and I am in the same position as you....I don't do the church or organised religion thing, but I am telling you once you accept Jesus as your lord and saviour and speak to him by yourself, let him into your life in all seriousness, God answers.....Maybe not in vocal means, but there have been so many changes for the good since then, he is answering me in doing this.

God will not give people the answer or the easy route, but once you figure things out yourself you can see the real power of God.....It is amazing!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I disagree but not because of God belief. I do not agree with reintroducing a species like the sabre toothed tiger. It is a dominant predator and our delicate ecosystem has evolved to the point where reintroducing a species like that could have disasterous consequences.

My .02

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This is just wrong, if a species is meant to survive it will even if that means it must change to adapt. Nothing but chaos can come because of our intervention in a natural occurrence just because we think they should be revived should they die.
edit on 13-5-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I didn't think it was possible

First use it on pandas cause they're going extinct!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I guess I should have been a bit clearer on the disaster scenario, what I was aiming at is prevention we develop many ways to stop potential natural and non-natural disasters. These ideas and technologies have and will save thousands of lives.

Would god be angry with anyone who lives in Holland? because naturally lots of it should be underwater but man made walls and such have stopped this.
As I have said God must have willed everything including this ability to bring the extinct back, because if God didn't who did?

We can no longer say don't meddle with nature because we have been doing it for thousands of years and to be honest it's a gift and a curse these skills we have as humans, but I personally think we should be using them to help nature restore her balance morally and ethically.

When your time has come it has come, I can agree with that but that doesn't mean we should fight that time with all we have whether that be science, masonry or any other technique/skill we can use to help keep the balance and also do what life always does fight to survive.

reply to post by JayinAR

Agreed, also we don't want to start re-introducing animals that will devastate our interests that are only recently extinct like this:

Haast's Eagle (Harpagornis moorei)

But plenty of recently extinct species exist (genetically in a lab or relative species) that could have real value in re-establishing eco-systems around the globe. I don't think it's in the realms of stupidity to atleast consider that and carefully test and then maybe implement it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Maybe dinosaurs can help with food issues in 3rd world countries.
I bet they taste like chicken.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I watched something on discovery or nova, can't remember it's been a couple years, but they found some living DNA of a velociraptor, and wanted permission to use emu DNA to compete what they had, and grow a raptor.

I've seen this movie, not a good ideal, and an emu! Could they find a scarier bird, to make a scary dinosaur!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

"Meant to" according to who's / what point of view?

And why can't bringing extinct species "back" be part of the cycle to?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by littled16

"Meant to" according to who's / what point of view?

And why can't bringing extinct species "back" be part of the cycle to?

Bringing back an extinct species for what purpose? I'm sure there are at least some extinct species that could prove beneficial to some environments, but ecosystems are fragile things that take years and years to adjust. There have been many problems with foreign animal species being introduced into ecosystems that aren't their natural habitats so re-introducing a species into an ecosystem that has been extinct for decades, or even centuries or millenia, could have disastrous effects on current ecosystems.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yuk - I think this species was extinct for a reason.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Yes your point is clear and I default back to my original answer.....God helped man create these walls to stop water from putting Holland underwater and multiple people dying...

If you think of it as God's will, you will understand what I mean....These people are still meant to be here along with the land that is not destroyed....

Just because it stops a tradgedy now doesn't mean in 1000 years from now the walls don't break (for a reason) and wipe out what needs cleaned.....Do you understand what I mean? Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I just mean everything happens for a reason and that reason comes from God....

Humans are not extinct, if we were bringing back a species that was extinct (for a reason) then we would be stepping on God's toes....Sorry I am trying to explain to the best of my ability.....Let me know if you understand how I am explaining this
edit on 5/13/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
Now thats pretty cool, people are gonna think Dinosaurs!! But in reality, thats not the case.
This should be helpful though with the current registery of animals on the endangered species list, especially the critically endangered ones.
We can start frozen preservation programs now and start indexing them, along with a distant "cousin" to help with the process.
I'm all for this, I love tigers....BUT most important of all, we can actually use this science technique on our declining Bee populations, now that would be truly awesome.

It could also unleash diseases that have long died out, that we have NO WAY to fight against.........

Just my opinion, but when you start playing around with crap like this your just asking for serious trouble.......

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I understand

I was merely pointing out that you could say the same thing about man's knowledge of flood defence compared to man's knowledge of DNA, since we have the knowledge and understand it should we not use it where we can prove it's beneficial.

One could argue the point of how flood defence is against God's will and the same could be said about DNA and how we implement our knowledge of it, same could be said also in the opposite in both cases too, since we have the knowledge and the ability to use it beneficially.

As other posters have noted this doesn't just have to be used on extinct animals either, we could use it on near-extinct animals too, to safe gaurd their existance in the future.

Personally I think we should have an index of all of Earth's creatures, like our very own Noah's Ark. I know there is seed banks but not sure on a DNA database.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Dinos are only scary in movies

There isnt anything scarier than humans , dinos wouldn't stand a chance

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Lol

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

You can believe whatever you want but don't expect it to fly far in the Science and Technology section of the forums.
edit on 13-5-2013 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

Movies more accurate than reality? Hardly. To pay attention to Hollywood, you would think that the US won the Second World War single handed, rather than being a part of an international effort, and turning up late to the gig into the bargain.

And similarly, you wouldnt get private companies being the first to clone a dinosaur, if indeed it was ever going to happen. It would be a University effort in conjunction with some government body I would have thought, and indeed be done under the very strictest of regulations.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join