It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian rebels release 4 UN Filipino Peacekeepers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I first brought the story a few days ago about how they'd taken these guys in what they claimed to be a "Protective" action, for their own good. I'd hoped they would release them in short order. I'm happy to bring a positive followup on a story of this nature. All 4 have been released to UN peacekeeping forces and are now undergoing routine checks to insure they're okay.

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Syrian rebels on Sunday released four Filipino U.N. peacekeepers they abducted last week in a dramatic incident that prompted warnings from the Philippines that the nation could pull out its contingent from the Golan Heights.

Meanwhile, a Syrian official said President Bashar Assad's troops have the right to enter the Israeli-occupied Golan whenever they wish — a veiled threat at Israel to stay out of Syria's conflict.

It's a fluid situation over there. As much as it's easy to take the notion that sides are clear and intentions, much less loyalties, are universal among each side, it's really not the case. The Free Syrian Army is the formation of a dozen or more smaller groups who have their own reasons for being there. Not always coming from the purest of motive.

A statement issued by the rebel group holding the peacekeepers — the Yarmouk Martyrs Brigade — said the four were handed over to a U.N. delegation in the border area on Sunday, but provided no other details.

The peacekeepers are part of a U.N. contingent that patrols a buffer zone between Syria and the Golan Heights, a plateau Israel captured from Syria in 1967.
Source

Be that as it may, I imagine these 4 men really don't care about all those larger issues just now. I'll bet they only know it's better to be free than to be held by armed forces they were sent there, in part, to assist in monitoring.

A happy ending in this case!

edit on 12-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

All is well so far, they made the right move.... but they remain the individuals responsible for abducting U.N. peacekeepers. So yeah, no real sentiment other than playing position.

btw, just a request. Instead of ever using the words 'Syrian Rebels', please name who they are.

A statement issued by the rebel group holding the peacekeepers — the Yarmouk Martyrs Brigade — said the four were handed over to a U.N. delegation in the border area on Sunday, but provided no other details.

Lets not start calling all these groups simply 'syrian rebels', it seriously destroys every understanding that people have, in regards to what is going on over there. just a thought.

edit on 12-5-2013 by retirednature because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2013 by retirednature because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

Well, I appreciate your highlighting the specific element of the Syrian Rebel forces these people represent.(As quoted above in the article) Although, their being identified as elements of the Rebel Forces, forms the headline and has been central to every description I've seen in both this and the abduction of 20 Filipino Peacekeepers in an earlier incident.

Earlier incident with the 20 held by rebel elements

It seems it would be disingenuous to exclude their primary affiliation and reason for being where they are?

join