It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Bombing: Examining Pressure Cooker in Backpacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
One thing that all of us here at ATS can agree on is that there are several unresolved questions about the Boston Marathon bombings and it's aftermath. Since 15 April 2013 the ATS forums have covered a spectrum of topics related to the Boston incident; from the investigative to the absurd, from the intellectual analysis to the compassionate, from partisan angels to the paranormal elements, from historical perspectives to predictive outlooks and everything in between. The threads have been fascinating and thought provoking to follow to say the least.

With this plethora of poignant discussion of this complicated situation, sometimes the most basic details fall by the wayside; let me explain: this morning I was reading this article “FBI surrounds house of Saudi student following sightings of him with pressure cooker pot, only to find he was cooking rice”
and saw this photo of the suspicious cook holding this weapon of mass destruction because it makes him fluffy rice:

This photo spurred the most basic question: Could a pressure cooker fit into a backpack?

The Pressure Cooker Identified:
For the past few hours I've been researching all things pressure cookers and pulling together information from a number of sources to determine which pressure cooker was used in the Boston Marathon bombing [the baseline for much of this is a well documented Reddit thread which narrows down the brand and size and can be found here: www.reddit.com... ] In addition to this information, it has been widely reported that “the pressure cooker could be purchased for around $140” (which is actually disinformation because the cooker used in the Boston attacks is sold for $100 on almost every store I checked).

The pressure cooker device used in the Boston Marathon bombings is the Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker which is sold in-store at Macy's. For reference, here is the manufacturer's site for the Fagor Elite 6 Quart and the product manual for the Fagor Elite.

Key Information About the Fagor Elite:
Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker
Dimensions: 9.5" wide by 5.5 long by 13.5" tall
Weight (Empty): 9 Pounds

Note this Fagor model is sold in-store at Macy's for circa $100 (although it is on-sale now) and Macy's ties back to some sketchy reports about the cookers being purchased at a major retailer in the area.

For reference, here are a few photos of the Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker (new):

And, here are a few photos of the Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker (exploded):

Examining the Backpacks
As someone who regularly carries a backpack, I know what a pain it is to fit larger, oddly shaped things in a backpack (not to mention trying to stuff clothes for a weekend away into a backpack to avoid airline bag check fees...). I also know that when your backpack is heavier than usual you tend to wear both straps or else you're usually dealing with the backpack sliding off the one shoulder you have it on when you walk (and if you are more talented than me and can do the one shoulder routine with a heavy backpack you will definitely alternate shoulders if wearing a heavy backpack for an extended period).

With that anecdotal information in mind, and more importantly the pressure cooker dimensions and weight of the pressure cooker noted above I'd ask you to examine these photos of the Tsarnaev brothers wearing their backpacks and provide your feedback regarding the volume and potential weight of the Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker filled with the materials used in the bombing:

Determining the Brand & Model of Each Tsarnaev Brother's Backpack
I have been unable to locate any information about the brand and model of each of the backpacks that the Tsarnaev brothers are pictured wearing.

Might anyone have information which could help identify the brand/model of each backpack?

The brand and model of each backpack would make it quite simple to:
- Immediately identify if the dimensions of the backpack could hold the Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker;
- Purchase the same brand/model backpacks as pictured and show what each backpack would look like when filled and approximate how heavy it would be.

As the late Johnnie Cochran might say: “If the pressure cooker don't fit, you must acquit.”

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and think about it's content; I really look forward to your thoughtful feedback.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thank you for the post.. This is a question I have been wondering about since the initial suspect photos were released. It was the first thing that came to mind. I too know the difficulties getting books to fit inside a backpack, and even with a better quality, larger capacity bag, when trying to fit a couple sodas in there too...nightmare..lol.

Even if there seems to be 'obvious' proof that the brothers did all this, there are also ALOT of really strange inconsistencies as well..every aspect should be looked into.

In my opinion, because of the long handle on this model of pressure cooker, it would have to be placed in the backpack on its side, with the short handle down and long handle up toward the zipper. I hope someone knows the brand and make of backpacks and can offer photos. Maybe someone owns this type and can cram it full, then post pics. Maybe it will turn out to be surprisingly roomy?

Thanks again for posting this, I think the question deserved its own thread.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantConfusion3
Thank you for the post.. This is a question I have been wondering about since the initial suspect photos were released. It was the first thing that came to mind.

In my opinion, because of the long handle on this model of pressure cooker, it would have to be placed in the backpack on its side, with the short handle down and long handle up toward the zipper. I hope someone knows the brand and make of backpacks and can offer photos.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. As I said in my original post, when I saw the photo of the guy holding his pressure cooker I immediately thought "How could that fit in a backpack?" and began researching the manufacturer and model of the pressure cooker used in the marathon bombings. After pulling together and examining all available information, that which I deemed most credible pointed to the Fagor Elite 6 Quart model which I am very confident is correct. As far as the brand and model of each backpack, I haven't been able to find any credible leads to help identify them.

Hoping folks here can help with that because it will answer the most basic questions:
Could it fit? (I should note: the handle could be sawed down without impacting the pressure cooker's function)
How much would it weigh?
What would each backpack look like with the Fagor Elite 6 Quart with material inside to simulate the weight of the bomb?

The photos of Dzhokhar I posted actually caused more questions about his backpack's contents because of the anomalies in the shape of the backpack in certain areas and the fact that he keeps it on the same shoulder (even in the head-on photos of him in the crowd watching the race) which makes me wonder about the weight of his backpack's contents.

Thanks again for your nice reply.

edit on 5/12/2013 by NickDC202 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NickDC202

A cylinder with a diameter of 12", and a height of 5", has a volume of 565.56 cubic inches. That cylinder would easily contain 8qts (512 cubic inches), and it would easily fit into the backpack that my 8 year old grandson uses for school.

8 qts. of water weighs 16 pounds. If you add 9 pounds for the weight of the pressure cooker, you end up with a package that only weighs 25 pounds.

Quite honestly, I don't feel that a 6 qt. pressure cooker, even with the handle still intact, would have any problem fitting into an adult's backpack. Nor do I see a problem with an adult carrying a maximum of 30 pounds over one shoulder for short periods.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 12-5-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Your thinking 6 quart pressure cookers but thats not whats typically used here is some ieds captured in Malaysia.Notice they would easily fit in to a backpack.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I have to say as someone who doesn’t believe any of the “alternitive theories” to the boston bombings I can see what your getting at.

That said however as another poster has already pointed out that pressure coocker would easily fit in the bag.

Also I don’t think your anidotal information really has any significance, I always go one strap, its just a habbit. So if the bomber had the same habbit then perhpase that’s why he is one strapping, I don’t think that is really very significant.

Also the pictures do show quite clearly that there is something clunckly in those bags and that very well could be the bomb.

Like I say I can understand what your saying and I do think you have raised a good topic here its just that I don’t really think that it proves that there were not bombs in the bags.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I doubt you would find the cooker in the first image for $100. Never needed a pressure cooker myself and thought they went out in the 60s. And for rice? Too much trouble to boil water for rice.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The stamp on the bottom of this pressure cooker is also on the Duo and Splendid not just the Elite. And it is sold by more than just Macy's. It is also sold on Amazon. So why could it have not came from Amazon. You have a happy customer named Ehsan Qureshi from Feb 13 2013. You do a name search and the name pops up in Saudi Arabia,Turkey, Pakistan and Washington DC. And I am sure the bolt and nut in the picture of the explosives means he took the handle off. That would shrink the size to 10.5 x 9.5.
www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_pdp

www.linkedin.com...

Here is another online seller of this product.

www.zappos.com...

Zappos picture of a Duo.

edit on 12-5-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Thanks for your nice reply. You make some good points and I appreciate the weight information.

I would still like to learn the manufacturer and model of each backpack in order to produce something tangible and be able to gain real data; so if anyone can assist on that I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your reply and the info.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Thanks for your nice reply; the photo of the pressure cookers with the Malaysian military is chilling.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Thanks for your thoughtful reply; it means a lot coming from you. :-)

To clarify, my hypothesis is NOT to prove that there were not bombs in the bags; rather it is to learn the facts: determining the pressure cooker make & model was a big hurdle to clear and the make & model of each backpack is what I'm still trying to decipher. Once I have all the information my idea is to buy each specific backpack and pressure cooker and demonstrate if the pressure cooker would fit, if it does fit then weigh each backpack with the pressure cooker and material substituting for the weight of the bomb materials, then to showcase what each bag might look like with the pressure cooker inside showing it from many different angels both on and off the body. From all that provide a clear comparison between my little experiment and the photographs of the Tsarnaev brothers.

I think that for the pressure cooker in the backpack and many other aspects of this incident that there are a lot of basic questions that can be clearly answered through simple methods like this.

While I would not consider myself to be someone on the Boston Marathon bombing conspiracy bandwagon, due to much of the evidence not being disclosed to the public and the unreliability of information from anonymous individuals whose information is not corroborated through double sourcing, I do have questions about the events and how law enforcement arrived at their conclusion.

Thanks again for your nice reply.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

If you're referring to the image of the Saudi student holding the pressure cooker, I have no idea what it might cost because none of the evidence suggests that large sized pressure cooker was used in the marathon bombings. But, if you're referring to the pressure cooker that was used in the bombings which is also pictured, Macy's has it on sale for $69.99

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Thanks for your nice reply.

I REALLY appreciate that! I don't get "accused" of posting nice replies very often.

I saw your post, and it dawned on me that I used to do weekend hikes trekking through, and over, the mountains here in East Tennessee with 2 gallons of water and rest of my gear carried in my backpack, so I decided to do some math.

I'll keep checking this thread for updates.

I just noticed that you live in Chicago. Do you know where Zion is? I lived there for six years, and loved the beach there. If you haven't already, you should check it out.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Thanks for your information. There were reasons why the Duo and Splendid seemed less likely as the pressure cooker used in the Boston Marathon bombings; the specific markings that can be seen in the photos of the materials recovered at the scene which rule out the Duo and Splendid models made in the last 5 years. (Believe me it was a tiresome process to analyze the markings and do a 5 year comparison of all the potential Fagor models)

I am well aware that the Fagor Elite 6 Quart Pressure Cooker is sold at places other than Macy's, however I specifically included the Macy's detail because of a few media reports which suggested that the pressure cookers were purchased from Boston-area retailers. Another suspected pressure cooker was the Fagor Futuro but that was ruled out because the screws attach at a different location than the evidence supports and, frankly, the Tsarnaev brothers didn't seem like the Williams Sonoma type. ;-)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You know who DID seem to have very large black backpacks on that day? Those mercs or whoever they were. The ones dressed up in khakis, and seen right in the area when the bombs did go off.

This whole situation seems to be complete BS.. and I think the strings are unraveling. The brothers didn't fit the bill. Already massive amounts of lies have been told about them (ex: that brother #2 was armed and in a shootout with police at the boat.. later proved he was unarmed). More and more amateur video is being released of the "naked arrested man" that leads me to believe it WAS brother #1.

Then we have that "security team". Huge black backpacks on. What was in them? Why did they have them? Do security forces usually carry big bags like that for a detail? Why were they there? Who hired them? Was the sniper on the roof part of their team?

The brothers seem an all too convenient cover. The OP's post makes you start to think. Those were some pretty big blasts. And they caused over 200+ injuries. Which leads me to believe they would have had to be bigger pressure cookers. I know someone else posted that some bombers use the smaller version. But the recovered lid, plus the amount of physical damage would lead me to believe the OP is on to something.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Thanks for your thoughtful follow-up; the weight info you shared is a good piece of the puzzle, I'd probably add 5 pounds to your guesstimate for the ball bearing-like materials and other shrapnel material used in the device.

That is very cool you are a fan of weekend mountain hiking; it definitely is an awesome activity and gives you intimate knowledge of the weight of a heavy backpack. I do Ironman triathlons and when I lived in San Francisco I would run from/to my place to/from the Caltrain station every morning with circa 25 pounds of stuff in my backpack and then workout before work on the peninsula and change back into running clothes when I left the office so I could run from Caltrain up the hills back to my place. I know that depending on how tired I was or especially at the beginning of the season that backpack felt like it weighed a ton for a week or two until I got used to it. That being said, although I know he wrestled in high school, pot smoking and partying college Dzhokhar seems comfortable holding that extra weight for extended periods using just one shoulder to support it.

I've lived in Chicago for about 3 years and while I have heard of Zion, I've never been there (I don't get to the suburbs much; I am very much a city guy). However, you are right that the Lake Michigan beaches are outstanding. When I had accepted a job here and was trying to find a place to live I was out running on the Lakefront and was shocked that Chicago has beaches with actual life guards; and they were beautiful beaches.

Thanks again for your post; really good stuff.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Thanks for your nice reply.

I understand the numerous "security" personnel, that were photographed extensively dressed in matching plain clothes outfits and some with and some without large black backpacks, have been the source for countless fluid discussions and multiple theories regarding the Boston Marathon bombing.

With that in mind, I'd highlight one of the rare instances of real journalism related to the Boston Marathon bombings and it's aftermath:

From the Los Angeles Times, 9 May 2013
Intelligence report identified vulnerability before Boston bombing
www.latimes.com...

Five days before two bombs tore through crowds at the Boston Marathon, an intelligence report identified the finish line of the race as an "area of increased vulnerability" and warned Boston police that extremists may use "small scale bombings" to attack spectators and runners at the event. The 18-page report was written by the Boston Regional Intelligence Center, a command center funded in part by the Department of Homeland Security that helps disseminate intelligence information to local police and first responders. The "joint special event assessment" is dated April 10. It notes that at the time there was "no credible, specific information indicating an imminent threat" to the race.

When I initially reviewed the above LA Times article I thought that this might explain the presence of the much discussed private "security" personnel, but after examining the photos and videos of these individuals prior to the explosions I am not so sure about that initial thought.

What is most unfortunate and something we can all agree on is that there were many intelligence failures by multiple agencies of the US Government and, in all likelihood, because of their failures our civil rights and liberties will once again be contracted.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Well, they apparently have a video of someone dropping a backpack which exploded a short time thereafter. Unfortunately, this original suspect did not match the description of the brothers as he was a "dark skinned male".

Also strange is the idea that someone would use a pressure cooker. Theyre constructed of solid steel and are made to withstand an explosion in the event that there is a pressure mishap.

Equally puzzling is the fact that the younger brother still had the backpack after the fact...

edit on 13-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

Well, they apparently have a video of someone dropping a backpack which exploded a short time thereafter. Unfortunately, this original suspect did not match the description of the brothers as he was a "dark skinned male".

Also strange is the idea that someone would use a pressure cooker. Theyre constructed of solid steel and are made to withstand an explosion in the event that there is a pressure mishap.

Equally puzzling is the fact that the younger brother still had the backpack after the fact...

its amazing how many people over look this image. its right in front of us.

why have 2 of the same backpacks, I know i own a few backpacks I have variety to pick from.
The backpack in the image is the same as what his wearing in photo.
This evidence is good evidence.
Until they can prove he left the scene on CCTV without his backpack, I am yet to believe he left his bag at the scene of the crime.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Only to play devil's advocate: Perhaps someone gave both brothers or Tamerlan and his wife Katherine/Katie matching backpacks as a holiday gift or anniversary gift; maybe they were hikers or another fitness activity that they did together where matching backpacks would be considered a "cute" gift by some misguided gift-giver...

The questions about the existence of the alleged surveillance showing the brothers "planting" each backpack prior to the explosions persist and grow more curious each day the alleged footage is not released. The failure to release alleged surveillance footage has always been one of my biggest questions about the Aurora Colorado movie theatre shootings on 20 July 2012 (the other being the 2nd non law enforcement gas mask found in the parking lot) simply because there are clearly cameras behind the theatre which cover both the door the gunman entered and the area the suspect's car was parked. The lack of clear proof of the existence of surveillance footage of the suspects in either case is quite troubling and, considering the widespread practice of releasing footage pre-trial in similar cases, raises many questions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join