It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A World Without Scents.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yes I meant to spell it like that. A little play on words. Hehe.

Alright now to the story:

Last Friday, I woke up with a sore throat, the kind that only means I am coming down with some kind of bug. I was like oh great here it comes, right before the weekend. Sure enough by the end of the day I was feeling very icky and had some vitamin C and tried to get a good night of sleep before the fun started. I woke up the next day feeling like I was run over by a train.

This is where the nose sniffles and stuffiness started. I simply could not smell a thing. It almost felt like I was disconnected from the world. So I took it easy all that day, and got some more sleep. Felt a little better Sunday, but still could not smell. Woke up on Monday for work and was still not feeling too hot.

Anyway to make a long story short, I couldn't smell Monday through Friday.

Just this morning, I woke up and I could smell! It was like I was reconnected to the world again! I could smell the fresh air, I could smell my shampoo, my toothpaste! I didn't realize how much I missed my ability to smell! Of course the nose is also tied to your tasting abilities, and so I could taste properly again too!

Just goes to show how much all of our 5 senses convey our reality.

Have you ever gone without a sense for a temporary period of time?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I bet! I cant stand not being able to taste when I have a cold, but it's never lasted that long!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I know. I was sick as a dog. I haven't been that sick in a while.

Good thing is when I got over it, it was the greatest feeling ever. I feel healthier now I think than before I was sick.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
My aunt has a long history of sinus problems, has had numerous sinus surgeries, at some point she just lost her sense of smell from it all.

To this day I wont eat her cooking as she can't taste much at all so her food tends to come out accordingly...

Cant stand when a cold takes my taste away, couldn't imagine a life time of it.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I kinda know what this is like,

I have always had a poor sense of smell, yet

I have better than 20/10 vision according to my physician and
phenomenal hearing so i don't care.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
It's so true you don't know what you've got 'til its gone.
Senses are something we take for granted, like every other bodily function until they are disabled.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sometimes I get random migraine headaches, and before it starts my vision blurs really bad and I literally can't see. I think that vision is really important to me, but so are all of them.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Imagine we are spirits - super aware with incredible senses and even psychic - why would we be born in human bodies and sacrifice this? Why would we even make it so that we can even loose BASIC senses such as seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and touching? Why put ourselves in such hell?

Even if it were "temporary" why would we FORCE this experience upon ourselves and make ourselves to forget who we really are? What does that say about our characters if we are intentionally seeking drama and suffering even when we were spirits connected to infinite peace (or God or heaven, whatever you want to call it)?

new topics

top topics

join