It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale hunting to resume in Iceland's waters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Whale hunting to resume in Iceland's waters

www.icenews.is

Bucking the conservation trend, an Icelandic company intends to restart commercial fin whale hunting this season, raising the spectre of sanctions imposed by the United States.

Hvalur plans to use its quota of 154 whales, following a two-year break after its market in Japan was disrupted by the tsunami there. Japan is the predominant consumer of whale meat and one of only three countries still hunting these endangered mammals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Iceland, Norway and Japan have chosen to ignore a global moratorium on whaling laid down by the International Whaling Commission in 1986. Iceland resumed whaling in 2006 but has come under intense international pressure to stop.

International sminternational, these hunters don't care.

“The quota is 154 whales plus some 20 per cent from last season possibly,” he added.

In 2010, Iceland fulfilled its quota at a time when President Obama had to personally intervene and back away from proposed sanctions, pressuring the government in Reykjavik instead.

Whale hunting is back and their gonna do their best to meet their quota of 154 endangered mammals because the people of Japan really love whale meet. How much does it cost in Japan because someone is selling out their soul for $$. Then again, this is a material world and we are all just material girls so who isn't selling their souls?

www.icenews.is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I hope their species can find it to forgive ours....because some day, I believe that language barrier between us will be crossed.

In the mean time, I'll very willingly do all I can to disrupt and obstruct this "hunting". (Within the existing laws, of course.
) If those who run the ships in-season to physically disrupt it need hands where a guy my age and background could be of help? Well, I'd have done more than give money to the Sea Shepherds, years ago, had I known then what they were doing and why.

I don't buy into the theory that all life on this planet is sentient. I DO believe they are though, and this is murder, as I deeply feel it. It doesn't need to be human to be flat wrong, IMO.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
After leaving Japan, I've missed the taste of sperm in my mouth...

Now maybe I'll be able to get a mouthful while living on the east coast of America.

Puns...sure hehe. For real though, whale tastes delicious. But I'm sure they'll over fish the Atlantic just to increase profit...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

dont be so quick to judge, im sure alot of us have tipped a few few too many and gone whale hunting

but seriously i think with all the beached whales within are recent history we should tone it down a bit, circle of life and all.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Looks like its time to break out the prop foulers and stink bombs.

Wheres the Sea Shepherds?

Go get em boys.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Sea Shepherd has put out the call for donations so as to be able to fight these mongrels in the upcoming 'whale season'.

I am fairly miffed that the Australian govt. does nothing to discourage this blatant incursion into the
Southern Ocean. We have a duty of care to pluck idiot sailors from the cold and treacherous waters.
Yet we allow this mass butchery to continue year in and year out !

Sea Shepherd keep this travesty in the eye of the public .Kudos much !!
When do we say enough of the "scientific research". Pffft!

edit on 12-5-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills. How much does it cost in Japan because someone is selling out their soul for $$.

It depends on the cut, of course. In my local supermarket whale meat (steaks) tends to be priced higher than pork but cheaper than beef. Generally about 100 to 150 yen/100g. The different cuts and grades of bacon can get really pricey, though.

No surprise that Iceland has restarted - Norway has been upping the exports to Japan as well. By forcing the Japanese to end their hunt, Sea Shepherd seems to have inadvertently restarted commercial whaling in Europe. I wonder if they saw that one coming?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

We need global condemnation. Sure there should be some exceptions considered for some small Icelandic nations, where this is a necessary staple. The same as seal meat.

Japanese consumption of whale meat is in the same basket as rhino horn and tiger penis demand by the Chinese.

Snap out of it !!!! Dolts!

edit on 12-5-2013 by Timely because: Pfft!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timely
We need global condemnation. Sure there should be some exceptions considered for some small Icelandic nations, where this is a necessary staple. The same as seal meat.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. Iceland IS a nation, as developed and well off as Japan. Why would whale meat be an acceptable staple there and not in Japan? Especially since the Japanese have been whaling since before people lived in Iceland?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

I was trying to be PC. Apparently ; Eskimo or Innuit is off limits these days.

Excuse my fail based on this.

The Japanese have used up there supplies.
They are now poaching any other sovereign waters.

Bugger off !

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Whilst we are on the subject of Japanese raping of ocean life;

How do you justify the round up and killing of Dolphins - en-masse!??

( you have seen this !)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I was trying to be PC. Apparently ; Eskimo or Innuit is off limits these days.

Iceland was never home to anyone that could be described as Eskimo or Inuit. The first permanent settlers were Norse, around the mid 9th century.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

How do you justify the round up and killing of Dolphins - en-masse!??

Same way I justify any other sustainable hunt.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Geez that would be like, if an Australian company started up whaling again just for the Japanese dollar, the people here would never allow it to happen, period.

HEY! Japan how about we send you tonnes of our blow fish for free and you can munch to your hearts content, I hear they`re a delicacy over there and you can leave the majestic ocean mammals from around the globe alone!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

We will even throw in sea cucumbers ... Mmmmm!

@Vox ... Fish your own waters.
Oh!, What, nothing left?

TOUGH!

edit on 12-5-2013 by Timely because: misdirected venom

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by Swills. How much does it cost in Japan because someone is selling out their soul for $$.

It depends on the cut, of course. In my local supermarket whale meat (steaks) tends to be priced higher than pork but cheaper than beef. Generally about 100 to 150 yen/100g. The different cuts and grades of bacon can get really pricey, though.

No surprise that Iceland has restarted - Norway has been upping the exports to Japan as well. By forcing the Japanese to end their hunt, Sea Shepherd seems to have inadvertently restarted commercial whaling in Europe. I wonder if they saw that one coming?

it is said that whale meat is not sold commercially. Please explain ?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

it is said that whale meat is not sold commercially. Please explain ?

what, seriously?

Here's the international regs on that. Read at your leisure.

iwc.int...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
How many living species are there? I guess 154 wont hurt if there are a million of them...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Not even a million these days.

Either way, Whales have a language, and call each other by name according to some research. They are most likely sentient beings who along with dolphins have saved the lives of many human beings (as have other non-human beings like sea turtles and dogs). I wonder if you'd be ok with aliens coming here and taking a few of us for lunch simply because there are so many of us?

Murdering a sentient being for food is just that-Murder.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join