It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Discrimination on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Political Issue? I would put this in the rant section. Some of the posts are just rants from the left crying out "discrimination", using political correctness to try and stifle discussion. No one is saying you can't post, but if you can't handle a little heated debate then get out of the kitchen.

edit:

and if people are unable to handle dissent on an online forum, how in the heck do you function in real life?
edit on 12-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Props to you. It's refreshing to see a member who apparently can discern the role political ideologies should and shouldn't play in respect to issues, social interactions and life itself. And thank you for not posting just to troll and skew my OP around to turn it into what you want it to mean.

edit on 12-5-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by billy565

And I don't understand why you replied to my thread about writing a thread to reply to my thread and tell me that you just don't understand why I took it upon myself to speak for other members in my thread.

So thread you kindly.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Well it isnt a rant its actual discrimination . In every day life you may converse with people who have a wide range of political thoughts and beliefs and this happens to be a good thing. When you come across militant people of a certain political belief who hate those opposed to it or who are taught to, encouraged to, it doesnt " help" anything really.

I know people are are always passionately opposed to the opposition but we all know that the opposition isnt really the other " party" the opposition happens to be who ever is corrupt which could in truth be of any party.

Its people on here at times saying " You must treat people of this political party like this" .
Ive seen it myself so know what the Op is talking about.

It makes you feel like "Oh, this site is of one political party or?" It makes you question the sincerity of ATS members. However, in the end you realise they are ineffect trying to " smear" those they do not like and so the issue is theres.
edit on 12-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
All beliefs stem from somewhere. Your thoughts are a projection of socialization, it really is as simple as that. To say that political ideologies don't govern your life in one way or another cannot be. True information is withheld daily, and if you were to receive these truths, your perception of the world would be changed.

If someone is wrong, explain how they are wrong. We shouldn't ignore a single perspective. For it sets the conditions of having the same done towards us. Therefore, we shouldn't set the conditions for marginalizing a population and potentially ourselves if we are all striving for the same goal of an objective truth. We cannot be objective, we will never be objective because we did not create ourselves. We can only study the potential outcomes associated with various perspectives based on historical outcomes associated with such reason.
edit on 12-5-2013 by nickendres because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Sooooo is this an American thing?. Being from another Country, that is other than America, it does amuse me how some adopt the possible "cabin fever", that other nationalities view America and some of their people of having. This, I thought was a global site, which I thought would have meant that whom ever was reading, whatever was posted, would mean a different thing based on not only what political side they represented, but also what country/religion/race/creed etc they derived from. This site, I believe, is too big now (meaning that it crosses continents/time zones etc) to worry too much about what people think about left wing, right wing, front, back whatever. This is a rant, like the OP, which maybe should have been placed in the rant section. I'm just trying to put out the fact that there are too many views on anything that is put forward, and try not to take it personally.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Also watch out for the " shills" who purposefully put threads on here with total disinformation just because they affliate with a certain political party.I see many people rising to the bait and responding to those that do this. But you need to really find out for yourself if what they are saying is " true" before exposing your ignorance. Then again maybe the ignorant people deserve them.

edit on 12-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Try having my political point of view, it's probably the most hated on ATS, and the most misunderstood by most people. But I never feel discriminated against, they're just people that need more educating.

We will assimilate you all eventually, our plan is going splendidly. ♫ "This is the final struggle let us group together, and tomorrow the Internationale will be the human race, hahahahaaaaa." ♫

Seriously though, maybe you just lack confidence in your stance? How do you discriminate on a web site anyway?
Not give flags and stars to someone?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I don't give a # if righties group up against me, I could handle them, I could beat up on them for days with little exhaustion. Instead of controlling ATS to "make it balanced", non rightys just need to cleaning up shop by winning the debates. Be like "look righty, you switchin' sides today!". Winning the debate will balance things out.

From my past experience of watching popular forums die, any attempts to control the flow of conversation is the nail in the coffin. As long as Mods don't delete posts from more left leaning posters I don't see the problem.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

If one loses a debate on a given topic, it isn't discrimination.

It's because the individual(s) didn't debate the topic well, or chose a side that had a losing proposition.

If I debate how awesome it is to stick sharp objects into my eyes, I'm not a victim for losing the debate.

I'm just wrong.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Discrimination how, exactly?

When you say "ATS" what do you mean?

How can discussion of a subject/political viewpoint be discriminatory? Who does the discriminating in it?

If someone has a view opposite to yours how is that discrimination?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

We could all just do what "polite society" used to do. Not discuss politics, paychecks or other traditionally taboo topics.

But then we wouldn't be ATS.

Don't want to fight a war? Don't join the military. This place is not your personal playground, being here is voluntary.

And no I don't care what side of the political specture you sit on.

l'm still going to star and flag you, because I agree with the sentiment, regardless of the triviality of it.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Thank you for saying what I've been feeling all along.

ATS has become the playground for misogynistic, simple-minded playground bullies, or as R.Crumb called such types, "Rough Tough Cream Puffs."

If you just watched Fox News and decided to come here, TURN BACK unless you're willing to be an adult for once and have a civil discussion with other adults.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Discrimination how, exactly?

When you say "ATS" what do you mean?

How can discussion of a subject/political viewpoint be discriminatory? Who does the discriminating in it?

If someone has a view opposite to yours how is that discrimination?

Mindless, rampant liberal-bashing that goes unchecked and ignored by moderators?

It's in vogue after all, not only on here, but in society as general.

"When all else fails, blame the liberals."

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by unb3k44n7

The ATS community appears to not be freedom of speech community anymore nor and community where we have the freedom to choose what political stand we choose to affiliate ourselves with.

Pardon me - but where did you ever get the idea that ATS ever was a "freedom of speech" website/forum? There is absolutely NO freedom of speech here - there never has been and there never will be.

And if you were to U2U the owners and the mods they will tell you exactly that.

BTW - The TOS alone reads like a manifesto........I dare you to show me one iota of so-called "free speech" in there.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

reply to post by CasaVigilante

Hmmm I think you can say anything you want on ATS, as long as it isn't a known lie, or foul language, or about illegal drug use.

You don't need any of those to have free speech.

Do you really struggle to have your say within the t&c of ATS? Really? Would you really like ATS to be like many other sites where name calling, and verbal abuse is accepted?

BTW a manifesto has nothing to do with lack of free speech, or lack of freedom at all. It is simply a plan, a verbal declaration of intentions, or views of an individual or group.

When you've been here for more than a couple of months you will eventually assimilate to the rules, and you will learn to be happy about it. "I'm here to clean the carpets. Most of the world is carpeted, and one day we will do the cleaning." The Sunshine Carpet Cleaners

edit on 5/12/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Oh, I thought the average reader would have surmised, by virtue of the context within which my remarks were made, that the author was alluding to such 'manifestos' as written by Marx or Mao Tse-tung - aka TOS
. In other words, my use of the term 'manifesto' was rhetorical inasmuch as it was a pejorative (uncomplimentary) expression intended to convey a particular point of view, i.e., a literary device.

Incidentally - my remarks with respect to a lack of 'freedom of expression' here at ATS come by way of personal experience. Unfortunately, I would be in violation of the TOS if I were to reveal (copy/paste) the full contents of a U2U that I received from the owner of this website wherein it was generally conveyed - in no uncertain terms - that this is a "private website" and that there is no such thing as "freedom of speech" as we "Americans" would normally understand the term.

BTW - As a test for anyone here interested in 'freedom of expression' here @ATS please just try writing freely about Sandy Hook as a fraudulent enterprise and see how quickly your posts are deleted as "off topic" or your comments and/or threads will either be closed or taken down altogether. It has happened here so many times that I have stopped counting. So much for "freedom of speech" @ ATS -

edit on 12-5-2013 by CasaVigilante because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

If one loses a debate on a given topic, it isn't discrimination.

It's because the individual(s) didn't debate the topic well, or chose a side that had a losing proposition.

If I debate how awesome it is to stick sharp objects into my eyes, I'm not a victim for losing the debate.

I'm just wrong.

Or perhaps a poster simply leaves the discussion because he/she feels overwhelmed by the amount of tag-teaming that goes on here. I see it every day, a lot of times posters get so frustrated that they end up getting banned. Agreed it's not discrimination, it's bullying.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

We've all gotten piled on (those of us who post alot)

I've said some things deliberately to elicit a response.

Other times I've looked for debate.

Other posters like ANOK scare the #### out of me, because even though we don't agree and I may be right, he's much smarter than me and can usually beat the snot out of me in a debate. (Nothing but love, ANOK!)

It's a mixed bag. ATS is the deep end of the pool. If a person doesn't want to go swimming, don't get in!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Your position there comes with political blinkers on and is entirely subjective.

We get a huge number of complaints about how liberal we supposedly are as well.

We can't - in the eyes of those who only choose to criticise based on their own personal politics - do anything right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join