It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upstream Color- The Amazing New Movie from the Director of Primer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I just got done watching this movie and I want to cry. It's the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Visually, emotionally. If you don't normally notice the editing in a movie, you'll notice it here. It was an experience and I need to share it with people.

It's about a woman who gets implanted with a worm-like parasite that basically turns her into a puppet. The person who uses her can control not just her actions, but her senses. For instance he tells her, "I have a rare disfigurement where my face is made of the same material as the sun" and his face is obscured by a blinding light to her. After the worm is removed she has to deal with the strange consequences.

It's not as convoluted as Primer, but it's not a straightforward story either. If you're interested, Shane Carruth has been very open about some of the bigger questions in the movie, but he also encourages viewers to make the movie their own.

It's a slow, deliberate movie like 2001 or Solaris. There's very little dialogue and it's not what any one would call an exciting movie. But it's hypnotic, I couldn't look away. It's so beautiful and emotional that it flows over you. I haven't seen a movie that's effected me like this in a very long time. I can't recommend it enough.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Primer was an amazing movie, not just because i am a fan of crazy stories that you have to watch multiple times to fully understand, but also because of the writing and directing style.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, i will definitely check it out!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

This one has a pretty different vibe from Primer, but I doubt you'll be disappointed. I hope Shane Carruth's rate of output increases. With only two features he's made two of the greatest, smartest and most complex Sci-Fi films I've ever seen.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I just found out that there's a script floating around for "A Topiary" the film that Shane Carruth was working on after Primer, but had to ditch because he couldn't find funding. I haven't read it yet, but everything I've heard about "A Topiary" is really interesting. It's a story in two parts, the first concerning a man who keeps seeing a certain pattern all around. The second is about kids who find a box that creates things called "loops". The loops can be combined to make living structures.

The script is massive. 244 pages. I'm really excited to read it and figured I'd share it with any Primer fans out there: www.sendspace.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is now on Netflix Instant.

A month later and I still can't forget about the movie. It's a truly incredible experience. If you don't mind a slow, contemplative movie, you definitely need to watch it. Think of something like...Punch Drunk Love meets 2001 (though, no where near as sci-fi heavy as 2001).

top topics

join