It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were told you had hours to live, what music would you need to hear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Music has always been extremely important to me. My mom was given accutane when she was pregnant with me, and consequently I have a congenital heart defect called a "double outlet ventricular-septal defect" as well as "Pulmonary Banding", a severe murmur, and a problem with my mitral valve. I have felt, for ten years or more, that I was going to die at the age of 33, I'm 24 now. I just know it, Either way, I know that someday, I will suffer congestive heart failure. This is unavoidable. Congestive Heart Failure is not sudden, but the patient can die within days depending on a few factors.

I have given this list to my best friend, my wife, and my parents. If ever I am given days to live, I have to hear this music. Most of it is music from my happier times of childhood, some of it is more recent.

Here's my list. Do you guys have a list like this?

Mix of singles
Cusco "tigris and euphrates" from "Ancient Journeys"
Legendary pink dots "Lucifer Landed" from "Hallway of the Gods"
Coil "A White Rainbow" from "Moon's Milk in Four Phases"
Frou Frou "Let Go" from "Details"
Charlotte Church "The flower duet"
Elliot Smith "Needle in The Hay" from his self-titled album
Eluvium "How does the motion make me last?" from "Similes"
Erik Petersen "Old thyme memory" from his split record
Elvis Perkins "while you were sleeping" From "Ash Wednesday"
"Fintroll - "Den Sista Runans Dan" from "Visor om Slutet"
Iron and Wine "walking far from home"
Kekal- "healing" from "Embrace the Dead"
Mates of State "an Experiment" from "Team Boo"
The Mountain Goats "Going to Georgia" and "Peacocks"
Modest Mouse "Third Planet"
Paul Baribeau Self-Titled
Rilo Kiley "Pictures of Success"
The Sheila Divine "Hum"
Sigur Ros "Glosoli"
Skinny Puppy "worlock"
Vaakevandrig "some day"
Lowest of the low "Black Monday"
"Kazuki Tomokawa" Tou-Gen*** This is the last thing I want to hear before I die.
Katatonia "without God" ** 2nd last thing I want to hear before I die

Full Albums
Paramaecium "within the ancient forest"
Antestor "return of the black death" and "martyrium"
Architecture In Helsinki "Fingers Crossed"
Eluvium "Lambent Material"
Burzum "filosofem' and "hvis lyset tar oss"
Iron and Wine "The Creek drank the Cradle", "Our Endless Numbered Days"
Neutral Milk Hotel- "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"
The Mountain Goats "The Sunset Tree"
Ulver "bergtatt"

edit on 11-5-2013 by DarwinVsJesus because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2013 by DarwinVsJesus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Soundgarden - The day I tried to Live
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Chris Cornell - Seeking a friend for the end of the World
The Doors - The End

Then BOOOM!!!!!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DarwinVsJesus

Elvis, Johnny Nash, John Denver, Neil Diamond.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Anything by Greenday or the Beatles.
Maybe Elton John.....

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

My goodness me where to begin... Hell i may even break ats code of conduct, hope not though..

Queens of the stone age - Auto pilot..

Eddie Vedder - Society

jimi hendrix - all along the watchtower

MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL - "Ain't no Mountain High Enough"

Martha Tilton - If I Had You

Parov Stelar - Booty Swing

Radical Face - 'Welcome Home

Nerina Pallot - Seventeen

kings of convenience - i'd rather dance with you

You want anymore?
Ive got several thousand i could post under every genre you have and haven't heard of. 1930 swing to electro to classical to this and to that... music is life my friend. It can lift the spirits even in the darkest of times.

Peace
edit on 11-5-2013 by MongusePro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well, I just wouldn't listen to the one who said I was going to die. I don't have to die just because someone says I am going to. Energy drives our body, giving up will definitely help you live longer. My stepfather was given a day or so to live many times. He finally died about ten years later. I learned a few things from him.

My father in law was in the hospital and they said he had at most a day because he drank a twelve pack of beer every day. He was never drunk though
I couldn't figure out how he could do that. He lived a month in the hospital and died because they wouldn't give him a beer, drinking was all he did since his wife died. He was a a retired plasterer and plasterers seemed to drink a lot
He still got around with his hunchback.

If you don't listen to the doctors when they tell you you are going to die and try to prove them wrong, your chances are better of living. Now that's dancing to a different tune than the ones you listed

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I was on accutane and had to sign soooo many forms stating I wouldn't get pregnant. I had to be on the pill and show proof I was and I had to take a pregnancy test every month. That is some serious medication. It worked for me but the acne came back yrs later. If i had to do it over again I probably wouldn't take it. I have vision side effects from it and my hair has never been the same.

Anyway about your thread. I would want all Matchbox Twenty!! They are my favorite band and I have all their CDs in my car. People tease me about it because it's the only music I play in my car. I would be quite happy listening to them til the end.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Zero music. It's a distraction.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I would like to hear my daughters and grand daughter serenade me with "Tiny Bubbles" which is the very first song that all of them learned to sing:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Coldplay - A rush of blood to the head
Radiohead - OK Computer

At the same time

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
In all actuality, if I only had hours to live, music would be the last thing on my mind, BUT, I think that Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't Fear The Reaper' would be very appropiate.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am so sorry to hear about your heart defect,but please,do not fixate on dying at a certain age? Any day could be the last day here for any of us.Anyway,about your question,if i had only hours left to live,i would not want any music by a group,singer,orchestra,etc.I would wantt to listen to my youngest daughter singing whatever she feels like.she has a beautiful voice,with great range and perfect pitch,and her singing is what i would want to hear,no one else.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

DarwinVsJesus, Well, I hope you beat the odds and live to be a crusty ole fart!
:

I have a valve problem, perhaps not as severe but I'm pushin 80. Anyways, I'd like to hear all the best tunes from the band Europe with Joey Tempest. Also, Motley Crues, "You're All I Need", Some happy Poison tunes, some Coldplay,
Marianne Faithfulls "As Tears Goe By", Accepts "Balls to the Wall". If all of that dosen't wake me up or cheer me up. then I'll know I'm finally gone. Oh, and Warrants "Cheery Pie" too. There are many more other bands and tunes/songs I like but I'm sure the grim reaper would get tired of me taping my toe and just say "It's time already to go".

Hugs and best wishes to you!
edit on 12-5-2013 by shrevegal because: spelling error

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It would have to be something that goes good with a nice single-malt Whiskey and a big fat Blu$nt ! Possibly some Loreena McKennitt followed by some Megadeth followed by some Vivaldi followed by some Kinks!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
This, on a loop:

Feed my will to feel this moment
urging me to cross the line
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come

And following our will and wind
We'll ride the spiral to the end
and may just go where no one's been

Spiral out

Keep Going

edit on 5/12/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Wonderful replies everyone, thank you. This is a subject that means a lot to me.

I found out 2 years ago that I could have sued the pharmaceutical company for enough money where I'd never have to work ever. The statute of limitations was up the year before I asked a goddamn lawyer.

Not my life path, I guess.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The reason I want to hear katatonia's 'without god' second to last is because of the following lyrics. Ignore the obviously bizarre esoteric symbolism and look at the message.

"my spirit, filled with hate set free
the force of the golden dawn
without god, entomb your fear

I raise my fists to the sky
I swear the ancient oath of black
the lambs shall bleed, eternally bleed
god is dead and shall forever be"

I find this very comforting. Do not be afraid, because there is no judgment and no punishment. you can put your fear to rest.

First time I heard this song I just lost it. I grew up in a home where I was told I would burn in hell if I died that day, whenever I did something wrong. It took me years of counseling to overcome the terror I felt.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I found a version of tou-gen

www.youtube.com...

This is the last thing I want to hear before I die, whenever that is. My heartbeat feels different whenever I hear this song.

top topics

join