It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Ridiculous Quotes in the Bible

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Evryone DOES know that the bible is a 17th century creation - RIGHT???

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CT_Flyboy

prove
it please

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by CT_Flyboy
Evryone DOES know that the bible is a 17th century creation - RIGHT???

Didn't Walt Disney say that?

There are carbon dated texts dated to the early 2nd century... that are in the bible...

Perhaps you might google the dead sea scrolls, or even Nag Hammadi.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
OP, can you elaborate on what you find ridiculous about the quotes you quoted. Thx. Maybe we can discuss this then.

It seems to me you find punishment for killing ridiculous..

Were you trying to put yourself in a kind of ackward daylight here? A kind of really ackward one. Well you did a good job at it.

What were you trying anyway?

P.S. are you posessed?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I'm not chiming in to debate anyone since it is rather obvious that those who disdain Christianity wouldn't be convinced of its validity if God himself was to arrive in their homes and state it to them plainly.

Of course a religious person would think that way. Funny how if we pointed out the flaws in any novel no one would be offended, but point out the glaring stupidities in the bible and people cry foul.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Deuteronomy 23:1
"No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord."

Deuteronomy 25:11-12
"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

Exodus 21:15
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. *This one makes sense though, but still a bit extreme*

Leviticus 20:10
"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death."

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sevens8
I think your ridiculous mrperplexed, how can you make judgment on the ancient past based on todays standards, your full of hypocrisy.

You cant prove a thing that God does not exist except looking and living negativity in the past pointing out all the things with the view of today. How false are you!

false man, not even a man.

The burden of proof is not on me. The burden of proof is on those that make the claim that they know a God definitely exists. A claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I agree it is unfalsifiable, I would like to believe in God, but if God gave me intellect enough to question his existence in the face of zero, ZERO, evedence, why would he punish me for not believing?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I'm not chiming in to debate anyone since it is rather obvious that those who disdain Christianity wouldn't be convinced of its validity if God himself was to arrive in their homes and state it to them plainly.

In fact, I would happily accept God if there were any evidence or reason to believe it is true.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
OP, can you elaborate on what you find ridiculous about the quotes you quoted. Thx. Maybe we can discuss this then.

It seems to me you find punishment for killing ridiculous..

Were you trying to put yourself in a kind of ackward daylight here? A kind of really ackward one. Well you did a good job at it.

What were you trying anyway?

P.S. are you posessed?

Hi Angle-

Religion and the question of God I think is the most important topic one can study. Afterall there are only 3 possibilities.

1. That all religions are correct and true and accurate (i dont believe this)
2. That no religions are correct and true and accurate (I dont believe this)
3. That 1 religion is correct and true and accurate (I dont believe this either)

Basically I am withholding judgement on my belief until such a time that evidence supports me believing in one. Until then, I am agnostic - not atheist.

In my studies, I find passages such as the ones posted that seem to completely contradict the Moral, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God. For instance, how can evil exist ? How can a God have the 3 omni's and be Jealous, malevolent, and unwilling or unable to deal with evil?

My post is gain deeper understanding of these matters through debate and discussion, not to chastise believers.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

First of all, comparing the Bible to a novel is, in and of itself, disrespectful in that it is considered the word of God by Christians.

As for someone being willing to accept it if God appeared and told them it was His word, My point was to highlight to foolishness of a believer like myself to try to argue it with a non-believer. You either believe it or you do not.

And to your own remark regarding the novel comparison, funny how indignant and aggressive non-believers become when a person of faith points out the utter ridiculousness of many of the claims of evolutionary science, isn't it?

This is really the last of my replies for this thread, as I feel it is really not worthy of any more of my attention, and any further involvement on my part will only serve to annoy me.

Have fun..

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mrperplexed

Ok; but then I ask myself the question, what needs to be done with a rapist then? What needs to be done to a killer. They won't regret themself. The punishment is the moral.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter

Originally posted by Akragon

How about Jonah being stuck in the belly of a "fish" for three days...

That's about as ridiculous as it gets...

Thats not meant to be taken literally

Is it written somewhere: This story is not to be taken literally?

Why would this story be unbelievable, but a guy walking on water is so true????

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Ok; but then I ask myself the question, what needs to be done with a rapist then? What needs to be done to a killer. They won't regret themself. The punishment is the moral.

But you see, God has the power to stop the rape, and stop the murder... since he doesnt stop it, that means he is not omnipotent, omniscient, or benovelent.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrperplexed

But you see, God has the power to stop the rape, and stop the murder... since he doesnt stop it, that means he is not omnipotent, omniscient, or benovelent.

Let me give you the religious answer to this before they do! lol

God works in mysterious ways.
Victims will get their reward in heaven.
You don't know the mind god.
The bad ones will get their reward in hell.
Why are you so negative? I'll pray for you.
If we spread love all over the world, rape and murder will stop.

Did I forget any?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrperplexed
The goal is to discuss some of the more ridiculous bible quotes,

The atheists will pick out some passages in the bible and ridicule and taunt the theists to defend them

while allowing for theists to provide context around why they may have merit.

notice the clever use of the phrase "why they MAY have merit"

Lets try to keep it civil, no ad hominem attacks, and no comments that do not add to the conversation.

and when the attacks begin mrperplexed does not referee or umpire them---he joins in the atheistic side.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

your goal was to bring up the most ridiculous passages in the bible and make fun of those who step in the explain and defend.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787

your goal was to bring up the most ridiculous passages in the bible and make fun of those who step in the explain and defend.

Simply not true, scoll up to read an expanded view of what I want to accomplish.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

As Satan can have the power to continue the rape and the murder.

Still, it does not mean God didn't care when such things happened, that's why He let the people know about the punishments. The punishments are His way of saying, this and that is wrong. God has the last word.

edit on 15-5-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

As Satan can have the power to continue the rape and the murder.

Still, it does not mean God didn't care when such things happened, that's why He let the people know about the punishments. The punishments are His way of saying, this and that is wrong. God has the last word.

edit on 15-5-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

Does God not have power over Satan? Did God not create satan? Why not just obliterate Satan?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Man is able to resist Satan.

So this world can be without this devil's influence. See how many choose, how many choose not to be obedient to God
Fools, FOOLS!! And we all do know what is right. God is pissed for that if you ask me. There won't be no sweettalking you out of it..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join