It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the US differentiates a Syrian "Rebel" from an Afghan "Terrorist"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This photo says it all: One country's terrorist is another country's freedom fighter, depending on the designation of the US agenda for that country.. Sad Days in America history.

edit on Sat May 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What a gross oversimplification, yes I would concede that American foreign policy uses the labels “rebel” and “terrorist” interchangeably to suit its needs. But there is a whole world of a difference between American policy regarding the fighting in Syria and in Afghanistan and to simply post a picture to explore these differences is pointless.

I really don’t understand why ATS tolerates this type of “ooo look a pretty picture” type of threads. It’s like ATS is being dumbed down, long gone are the days of the mega threads with in-depth analysis to assess the situation. No, now we get a silly cartoon picture to pitifully and incorrectly explain an incredibly complex situation. If we are going to have a thread on how America differentiates between “terrorist” and “rebel” then let’s have one, not this excuse of of a thread.

Seriously this should be in the joke forum.

edit on 11-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sometimes a picture speaks a thousands words and this is simply one of them thank you for posting. The image itself shows just how ass backwards every conflict in the middle east is. Funded, armed, and perpetrated by Amerika and her allies.

"One mans freedom fighter, is another mans terrorist"

Just too bad they have all the same passport stamps from trips to Afghanistan, Libya, now Syria think they'd be on a no fly list bye now!!!

SaneThinking

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Totally agree with the above poster , a picture defo speaks a thousands words , and all i watch in the UK at the minute is more propaganda by our prime minister old david cameron...... he's mad keen to send our troops there to free the syrian people......

what i dont get is if the whole country was that against Assad it wouldn't take 2 plus years to take over surely......

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

I hadn't seen that one. Nice catch.

Given that these are very likely some of the exact same foot soldiers, I'd say the question and sentiment is a valid one. After all, the FSA is a conglomerate mix of 12 different and originally, very separate groups. Some, among the most extreme and radical of the region.

Much the same as we, the US, supported the Afghani Mujaheddin to defeat the Soviets by proxy in the 80's by using the 'Enemy of my Enemy is my friend' concept. We're doing it again here. There? We created the near legendary status of one Usama Bin Laden. We didn't HAVE to train or fund him directly and even the Afghans didn't care for his high and mighty 'tude toward them as being beneath him and the Arab fighters he brought into the fight ...but by supporting the cause he was equally bringing so much to? We all but helped make him anyway.

What, I wonder, are we helping to make today? Either knowingly or by pure unforeseen consequence we can't even know the full ramifications of for years to come? I think the cartoon shows it well enough..... In the case of Middle Eastern "Freedom Fighters" They all kinda look the same under the Black Flag so many of them rally under.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Since the OP chosed to use a picture to illustrate his intellectual limitations, then the insignificant nobody me too will try to shed some simple light to his closed mind.

Elected Representative - a fellow equal human of good character and capability, chosen by the community to represent them in a national council ( congress and govt) to legislate or amend laws to ensure the progress of society.

Protestors - usually a minority within a community using non violent legal means to get their issues heard by the representatives, so that it can be debated in the national council to find a resolution -either for, or against based upon the neccessity for progress of the entire society.

Rebels - usually a MAJORITY within the community, resorting to violent means for the community's survival when the representatives or the chief of representatives refuses to listen to their issues but instead use its trained combatants and superior weapons to slaughter them all.

Terrorists - only a relatively few individuals whom have little or no support from the community, but resort to violent means to slaughter innocent men, women and children to spread fear so that their personal agendas get to over-ride the laws of the land.

Hope the definations help, though I doubt so to the intellectually limited, for they think themselves smart but only too dumb to realize how lacking their brains are.

Peace. No one needs to be stupid or stay stupid.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

And? What's the point? It depends on who is fighting who and how they are fighting them.

Rebels...fighting against their own countries government targeting the army.

Terrorist...fighting against another countries government targeting civilians.

I'm sure those same people do something similar with US Soldiers.

US Soldiers viewed by Syrian Rebels are allies.

US Soldiers viewed by Afgani Terrorists are enemies.

A simple minded cartoon for simple minded people.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DistantRumor

I believe the point is......None of this is the business of the United States to be supporting OR fighting. It's the business of those in those nations and perhaps, nations in the larger region. It's not ours.

I thought the point was made pretty well...in a humorous way, but still, with a serious point.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DistantRumor

And? What's the point? It depends on who is fighting who and how they are fighting them.

Rebels...fighting against their own countries government targeting the army.

Terrorist...fighting against another countries government targeting civilians.

I'm sure those same people do something similar with US Soldiers.

US Soldiers viewed by Syrian Rebels are allies.

US Soldiers viewed by Afgani Terrorists are enemies.

A simple minded cartoon for simple minded people.

LOL..Easy to call people names..Is this picture more to your liking..LOL

new topics

top topics

join