It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Lauryn Hill singled out among tax evaders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

www.nbcnews.com

Black said that charges against celebrity tax avoiders have often been filed in early April—just in time to send a message to the public to file their returns properly.

But Black said every case is different, and the Hill case shows how much leeway judges have in sentencing for tax cases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

During her trial, Hill was ordered by the judge in Newark, New Jersey to undergo counselling because of her conspiracy theories - including that artists are being oppressed by a plot involving the military and media.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

Wait... what???
She has to undergo counselling because she has an opinion???

Disagree with her or not, that is completely irrelevant.

But counselling for having an opinion about the music industry?

I just don't get that.......

www.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well first it was in the millions that she dodged, so that would make the IRS salivate at the mouth to get it, plus shes famous so theirs the added bonus of spreading the "you have to pay or we will get you" fear simply by pursuing her case.

She also could be a little loopy, Her views on the Music industry do not give her the excuse of not paying (which is sorta what she implied) she seemed to think because of how she earned the money and had to put up with to get it she had a reason to avoid taxes.

Now that is of course ignoring the issue of the constitutionality of taxes in the first place.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I'm not talking about having to pay taxes.
I'm talking about having to go through counselling.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by benrl

I'm not talking about having to pay taxes.
I'm talking about having to go through counselling.

The court can sentence fairly wide range of things for various crimes, cases like people having to hold a sign on the side of the road, to community service.

Counseling is regular sentenced in cases where mental health could of been an issue in the crime, Drug alcohol abuse etc.

Also why have this

in bold if you didn't want that question addressed?
edit on 10-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hill is not in her right mind. She's been having this problem for years. She can't even pay her rent on time anymore and she's wealthy. While I don't think people who believe in conspiracies are crazy, you have to admit this subculture does attract a fair amount of crazies. Hill has been nonsensical for a long time and she should have been hospitalized. The difference between a sane CT and an insane one is the sane one can make a rational argument, Hill has been unable to do that for the last 10 years.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hill is not in her right mind. She's been having this problem for years. She can't even pay her rent on time anymore and she's wealthy. While I don't think people who believe in conspiracies are crazy, you have to admit this subculture does attract a fair amount of crazies. Hill has been nonsensical for a long time and she should have been hospitalized. The difference between a sane CT and an insane one is the sane one can make a rational argument, Hill has been unable to do that for the last 10 years.

I followed her career for a bit back in the day, and saw her at LA rising recently, she seems a little loopy.

But just because shes crazy doesn't mean that what she says about the music industry is not the case, its also kinda funny that people who speak out are deemed crazy.

Much like all the Media saying Dave Chappelle went nuts when really he just got tired of the industry.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I'm not saying she's crazy for speaking out. I'm saying she's crazy because she can't string together a rational argument. She speaks as if her brain is just incapable of it. Many of her actions indicate there is a serious underlying mental illness at play.

Personally, I think it's way too late to play like they are concerned about her mental well-being. Many people in her life have been trying to get her help for years. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been heard before in the hip-hop community.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It's because she was raised by slaves . .come on people, get with the program.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusCrime

I did raise an eyebrow at those comments of hers - something to the affect of being a child of former slaves and having a "system imposed upon her" etc etc... She was never a child of slaves, had nothing "imposed upon her" and in fact she made a good few pennies out of the "system" and didn't mind then....

She is clearly deranged, which makes me wonder if she ever came to ATS, we certainly have a good few loopies here too!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ms. Hill is nuttier than an O'Henry bar. That certainly doesn't help her case.

new topics

top topics

join