It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran unveils new "stealth" attack drone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Uh Oh... We're in for it now! (drum roll................)

It's the EPIC Drone! Faster than a....Oh, nvm. These jokes already write themselves, but they did show this off a short time ago and ..well, read for yourselves while I try and tamp down the humor reaction.

AFP - Iran unveiled on Thursday a new drone, dubbed the Epic, capable of carrying out both surveillance and attack missions, the Mehr news agency reported.

Defence Minister General Ahmad Vahidi was quoted as saying the Epic, which can fly at high altitudes, is a "stealth aircraft that cannot be detected by enemies."

Umm.. Okay, I normally don't take Iran lightly. There is generally a method to their madness. I suppose, if they could mass produce enough of these and somehow launch a whole mess of them by the hundreds, at once? Well...that's why our planes have guns, too.

The Throne, also a stealth model, has a long range and is equipped with air-to-air missiles, said General Amir-Farzad Esmaili, commander of anti-aircraft operations.
Source

Maybe I am misinterpreting the picture? Maybe those flat surfaces won't basically be high performance radar reflectors? It looks like a BIG version of what the local R/C airplane store sells?

Could it be, it has a stealth mode the observation doesn't suggest? Hmmmm...

I'm betting not, personally. Claims at least ought to be credible. However, they said it, and they showed it. There she be! The Epic!

(not sure I'd call it an Epic success...but I'm trying SO hard not to be the one to start the first jokes... really, they could have picked a better name with the claims, IMO)

+3 more 
posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The "new" small arms invention, is off to a good start too!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Awesome. I'm glad they had that trailer handy.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It comes with a nice wooden propeller.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I saw a better pic of it. They colored it in the one that I saw. It's supposed to be stealthy, but has a large fuselage, twin tails, and a large unshrouded propeller in the back. Something tells me it's not very stealthy. And even the US, who is one of the leaders in UAV technology doesn't have one that has air to air missiles yet. That would require a fire control radar, or some kind of fire control system being mounted, and that just hasn't happened yet. Not long now, but ground attack has been much easier, and is a much higher priority for most UAVs right now.

+2 more 
posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
maybe its cloaked. So advanced that it disguises itself as a piece of s* ...

I dunno...

+2 more 
posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow they capture this from the US

And turn it in to this

this is reverse engineering in iran who runs there weapons programs the wright brothers???

edit on 5/9/13 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

sure they did...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Except they didn't capture that from anyone. That one hasn't flown anywhere near any combat zones. They captured an RQ-170, which is an off the shelf design using parts from several other designs.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Except they didn't capture that from anyone. That one hasn't flown anywhere near any combat zones. They captured an RQ-170, which is an off the shelf design using parts from several other designs.

That is the rq 170 aka the sentinel i guess it just looks cooler then you thought it would?????

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I have been very hesitant on showing off my anti drone shot I have been working on...But Wrabbit if you have a problem with drones call me.... Watch closely to the third short...it looks innocent but deadly I assure you....Oh be sure to turn your volume up for the full effect. Please do not forward to Iran...I might want to apply for carrier defense.

edit on 9-5-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Uhm, no... No it isn't. I know what the RQ-170 looks like, and that's not it.

RQ-170
RQ-170
RQ-170
RQ-170

Notice anything missing?

Look familiar?

That picture you uploaded is the Dassault Ave-D. It's not even a US military UAV.
edit on 5/9/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
stealth.....

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
stealth.....

Come on man... dont laugh. Stealth can have many different meanings.

This one for instance means "wtf am I seeing?" And its execution is flawless.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I'm making the sound that little prop makes by buzzing my lips...

I had a string and handle attached to mine as a kid.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
They can drive it into Washington on a truck...real 'stealth' mode.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I'm making the sound that little prop makes by buzzing my lips...

I had a string and handle attached to mine as a kid.

Ok... enough. I'm having enough trouble as it is to look at it without thinking with a 2001 space odyssey voice "Oh my god... it's made of wood"... let alone having you buzzing your lips for the little prop sound... with a string attached to it going around in circles throwing mini rubber sidewinders...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I opened the thread expecting to see this:

I think this might be a picture of it in action:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
For their first drone it really doesn't look that bad. When America was starting out ours didn't look that great either.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

well i guess your argument is with abc news heres the article i grabed the picture off of.

abc news
edit on 5/9/13 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join