It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers find possible traces of continent off coast of Brazil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Researchers find possible traces of continent off coast of Brazil

www.foxnews.com

A team of Brazilian and Japanese researchers made the discoveries during a month-long expedition above the Rio Grande Elevation, which is a rise on the ocean floor around 930 miles off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, Reuters reports.

Using a three-person submarine making dives as deep as 21, 000 feet, the team found granite and minerals like iron and cobalt.

The materials found differ from the rest of the surrounding seabed, leading researchers to hypothesize that the area was once an island
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.9news.com
edit on 9-5-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
To think that once was dry land is now 21,000 feet below the sea is mind blowing to me.
It really makes one wonder if there was a older , very advanced civilization before ours . There very well may have been and we would never know it.
Further evidence of atlantis and Mu perhaps..............................................

www.foxnews.com
edit on 8-5-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

I wonder if there is a simple (or complex) calculation for figuring out approximately how long ago it would have been to where that part of the ocean, 21,000 ft below, was dry (not a ocean)???

Stuff like this is SOOO very interesting, OP... Nice find!
edit on 9-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
thought i'd link you to the existing thread in case there are replies there you might like to read

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Scientists find sunken continent off Brazil

Published on 8 May 2013 08 May 2013 A team of Japanese and Brazilian scientists say they may have discovered part of the earth's original continent off the coast of Brazil before the land masses drifted apart.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
At the very tops of the Rocky Mountains there are fossilized seabed creatures.

It could explain why Puma Punku is at such a high elevation, and why it's so destroyed, it fell apart on the ride upward.

Could it be that with pole shifts we get crust displacement?

Could that be the sudden event that ended the ice age causing the great flood that is talked about by every religion.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I was wondering the same thing.
If this is evidence of the Pangaea Supercontinent it could go back 225 million years.
geology.com...
edit on 9-5-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Perhaps a pre-flood civilization. Like that of Puma Punku. There's another site off Japan that's clearly man made but it's never talked about. Yonaguni Monument

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
There was me worrying about sea levels rising, and it was earth levels lowering I should have been fretting about.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
perhaps this discovery will lead to recalculating the time frame for the seafloor spreading rate

being some 980 miles east of the present coastline makes the 4cm year contenential drift eather slower than the real spreadeing or there are other factors that must be given more relevance, like the erosion that tapers the coastline into the ocean must be far greater than previously proposed

the mid-atlantic ridge where S America & Africa go off in opposite directions is more or less in a static position so the drift in 250m years is not the distance between coastlines of today... but the geoligical edges of each landmass...

this is what has been revealed... the once theoretrical edge of the S American continent is now a known point on the tectonic plate... so by doing a symmetrical calculation of land erosion on the African side--- the geologists can better calculate the actual spread of the seafloor since the (Pangeaen) breakup started

the rise in ocean volume made the spread seem wider than it actually is... by nearly 1,960 miles at this guessing stage in analysis

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by soaringhawk
Perhaps a pre-flood civilization. Like that of Puma Punku. There's another site off Japan that's clearly man made but it's never talked about. Yonaguni Monument

No, for the simple reason it is over 1 billion year old continental crust. I would also add that the scientists involved have themselves stated that they do not expect to find anything there, it is just interesting to geologists / scientists. They believe it was an island just offshore from the Pangea super continent.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

I wonder if there is a simple (or complex) calculation for figuring out approximately how long ago it would have been to where that part of the ocean, 21,000 ft below, was dry (not a ocean)???

Stuff like this is SOOO very interesting, OP... Nice find!
edit on 9-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

One billion years is a huge period of time to cover. For example, at the start of the Carboniferous period (360 million years ago) the UK was still at the equator (instead of our current location just shy of the Arctic Circle). Therefore i would suggest that withing this time frame there have periods where this landmass was part of various land and ocean formations before it got to its current location.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Mu, long time ago.

s4.hubimg.com...

Also some of the pyramids, the oldest ones, seem to be on the mountains in North America. And the mountains rose.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2

To think that once was dry land is now 21,000 feet below the sea is mind blowing to me.
It really makes one wonder if there was a older , very advanced civilization before ours . There very well may have been and we would never know it.
Further evidence of atlantis and Mu perhaps..............................................

www.foxnews.com
edit on 8-5-2013 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

Atlantis sure, but in the "Shaver Mystery" along with various sources including the underground empire theory, the continent of Mu was placed somewhere in the pacific near south america, it was touted to have a massive pyramide in the center.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Mu, long time ago.

s4.hubimg.com...

Also some of the pyramids, the oldest ones, seem to be on the mountains in North America. And the mountains rose.

Like Jesus?

Darryl Forests

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i like this guy's theory

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forests

Originally posted by Unity_99
Mu, long time ago.

s4.hubimg.com...

Like Jesus?

Darryl Forests

like neil armstrong

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i like this guy's theory

Awesome theory that keeps getting more and more proven. Pure awesomeness.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

The island of Atlantis should not as far as off the coast of Brazil.

It should be nearer to the west coast of Africa.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

It is interesting video, but plate tectonics is real.

Land fragments are moving. However the motion of these land fragments does not follow a set pattern as explained in this video.

There could be many reasons to movements of continents and one very good reason could be very large meteorite strikes. A huge amount of energy is transferred to the land mass by such strikes. It should cause motion as earth is hot inside and continents literally float on lava.

edit on 10-5-2013 by GargIndia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join