It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did they find Atlantis today?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Off the coast of Brazil a Japanese-manned submersible has discovered rock structures that may be evidence of a continent that similarly disappeared beneath the Atlantic Ocean many, many years ago.The Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) and the Geology Service of Brazil (CPRM) announced Tuesday the discovery of granite at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, about 900 miles off the coast of Rio de Janeiro. Granite, normally found on dry land, suggests that a continent once existed in the region and then sank, much in the same way Plato described, according to The Japan Times. So the question is, is this Atlantis? Of course there will be more research done before any conclusions. But it's interesting because if they found a continent surely they should find a city too, because continents aren't without cities.
edit on 7-5-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2013 by frankky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
nah.. turns out they just stayed at a holiday in express last night.
edit on Sat May 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Very cool I hadn't heard this yet.
I'm sure you're about to post links So I won't be like
Hey where's the links.
I think we are about to learn about a ancient relatively advanced
world wide culture with international trading.

www.ancientcanalbuilders.com...
Pretty cool

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Its highly unlikely that Plato was talking about an actual thing when he described Atlantis.

Remember that in his book The Republic, he was talking about justice and describing what a Just City would look like.

Its pretty much universally assumed that he was using Atlantis as a metaphor for this Just City. Besides, when you do the math from Plato, Atlantis existed about 9,000 years before he wrote about it which means he never would have actually seen it and it would have long been sunk.

It really doesn't add up any way you look at it.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Atlantis or not, sunken cities are a great find.

Lets watch this one.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by frankky

I think that this news is exciting and fascinating! I am looking forward to what else that they may find; and I am hoping pictures will be included.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by frankky

They certainly found something, but who are we to assert that it is or isn't without a lot more evidence....or what Plato meant or did not mean for that matter?

Yes Hopechest this is for you.

It was universally assumed that the world was flat at one time or that the earth was also the center of the universe. Today we know better.

Yes, he was writing about a place that would have been long sunk by the time he wrote about it. You yourself however are talking about Plato and he has been dead for 2400 years. You still know of him. Nothing is impossible until proven to be.

A closed mind is like a closed book, just a piece of wood - Chinese Proverb

Scientists may have found Brazilian 'Atlantis'

Brazilian 'Atlantis': Submersible Finds Possible Evidence Of Continent Deep Beneath Atlantic Ocean

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phayte

I'd love to find Atlantis and hopefully it does exist but as a person that looks at all the evidence I have to believe that at this point its probably unlikely it ever existed.

Its always wonderful to find new and ancient things though so that in and of itself is great news.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The legend of Atlantis has been a huge inspiration for underwater archeology. It seems to me that if early humans estabolished cities near coastal areas like we do today then our earliest ancient civilizations are under the ocean. It is ironic that the many amazing underwater discoveries may have never been found if people weren't looking for something that maybe never existed.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Agreed that there is no overwhelming evidence that supports Atlantis.

I'm from the camp that believes a lot of ancient stories are undoubtedly embellished or exaggerated and some are outright tales, metaphors or whatnot . At the same time I also believe that those ancient stories possibly have grains of truth in them and from that here's hoping that someday we can decipher the past and perhaps find some lost worlds

Apologies if I sounded crass, I appreciated your response.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Remember back in medieval times when people were dead set on the fact that the earth was flat, because of a lack of significant evidence?

Boy were they wrong.

Back to the OP:

It seems that they might have found a sunken continent that dates back millions of years. I think it is a stretch to say that they have found "Atlantis".

I do believe Atlantis was a real place though, and it is only a matter of time before someone stumbles upon conclusive evidence.

I also believe that there was an ancient civilization that thrived before the end of the last ice age in Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia until the land was swallowed up by the sea. The survivors migrated east to South, Central, and North America.

edit on 7-5-2013 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

Remember back in medieval times when people were dead set on the fact that the earth was flat, because of a lack of significant evidence?

Boy were they wrong.

That belief was based on scientific proof at the time albeit incorrectly.

Atlantis is not based on proof but by a story told by a philosopher who is known for embellishing his points with fanciful tales.

I hardly think they are the same thing.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Atlantis is not based on proof

That is your opinion.

I shall agree to disagree because I don't feel like debating this with you.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

Atlantis is not based on proof

That is your opinion.

I shall agree to disagree because I don't feel like debating this with you.

Its not an opinion its a fact.

The only mention anywhere of Atlantis is found in Plato's Timaeus and Critias.

Its like if you were to write a play and mention a lost island somewhere. Should people consider that as proof it existed or just your telling of a story?

Do you actually believe that everything you read in a book is the truth or possibly just part of the story?

There is no other corroborating evidence anywhere of the mention of an Atlantis. No stories, no drawings, no artifacts....nothing except Plato's story.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

That depends on if 'Atlantis' is the proper name for the so-called island to begin with. After all, in T&C Plato states that the details of the story were translated by the Sais priest into its Greek equivalent. If the story is true, you would likely find a more correct name for the island by figuring out the Egyptian equivalent of Atlas. By my research, Shu seems to be a good candidate although I'd like to get the opinion of our resident experts on that.

**edit**Actually, if the story is true, the ancient Egyptians might not have known the official name of the island either and their 'Shu's Island' name was just a stand-in. But, finding the Egyptian equivalent would be one step closer to an accurate name.

edit on 5/8/2013 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/8/2013 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad Simian

That depends on if 'Atlantis' is the proper name for the so-called island to begin with. After all, in T&C Plato states that the details of the story were translated by the Sais priest into it's Greek equivalent. If the story is true, you would likely find a more correct name for the island by figuring out the Egyptian equivalent of Atlas. By my research, Shu seems to be a good candidate although I'd like to get the opinion of our resident experts on that.

Very good point and although I am no expert I would have to assume that Atlantis researchers have already gone down that path and came up empty handed, otherwise we would have heard about alternate names already.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

**Back to the OP:

It seems that they might have found a sunken continent that dates back millions of years. I think it is a stretch to say that they have found "Atlantis".**

Indeed!

The scientists don't say that they found Atlantis if I didn't misread the article.
The MEDIA says it to gather some attention by tying completely unrelated areas together...
And it worked!

Quote...
**Brazilian geologists on Monday announced the discovery, 1500km from Rio, of what could be part of the continent submerged when the Atlantic Ocean was formed as Africa and South America drifted apart 100 million years ago.**

So "100 million years ago" the only "Atlanteans" you can hope for would have been Dinosaurs.
I will make the next stretch here - just for fun - so you know.

"Reptilians In Sunken Atlantean Mega-Structures Found! David Icke Was Right!"

A

Correction: I just read it again and there is a quote of "Roberto Ventura Santos, a top official at Brazil's Geology Service" where he stated that "This could be the Brazilian Atlantis."

Silly him. He should have known that THAT would be taken VERY seriously and foresightful made some "quotation marks" at the beginning and at the end of that fateful phrase "Atlantis".

Now considering him to be a "serious scientist" who wants to be taken "seriously" by his peers and also hopes in the future to receive some MORE funding for "drilling in the area to retrieve more samples of these rocks... "...

...I think he REALLY wanted to make some clever remark and a witty joke to show all those spectators out there that he is not only a "dry" scientist.
He has humor and he wants all the people out there to know it.

All "Atlanteans" here should forgive him for his misleading and "lore-slandering" behavior - I hope.

A

edit on 8/5/2013 by Ansar because: correction

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The story says the following

"From an analysis, we began to see that the area could be a piece of the continent that disappeared into the sea millions of years ago,"

Relinking to the story

Granite found in Atlantic from a continent that sank millions of years ago

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Hey, guys, I believe there really is a cave where people are chained and watch shadows of people on a walkway cast on the wall by a fire.

It's true, Plato talks about it in The Republic.

One day one of the prisoners escapes! And he doesn't recognize true forms. I swear. It's not a story, it's a real place.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Well, to be fair, I've been quite the atlantophile from a very young age and I've read most anything I can get my hands on even stuff I found completely far-fetched(like the 'theories' that say that Atlantis had advanced technology like lasers and UFOs lol). Not until recent years(post-2000) have I seen people attempt the un-translation(so to speak) back to Egyptian and even then it isn't specifically about the island's name but to simply replace all greek deities mentioned in the two dialogues. For instance, this thread over at the Atlantis Online forums(which happens to agree with my supposition of Shu=Atlas and wasn't started until 2007):

Egyptian Parallels to Greek Deities

edit on 5/8/2013 by Mad Simian because: grammer and such

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join