It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AgustaWestland Project Zero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Just seen this link for a new type of tilt rotor vehicle that, in a developed version of this form, looks like it may be able to produce a high performance replacement for choppers such as the AH-1 and AH-64, after a great deal of development of course. Maybe larger versions could produce VTOL commuter transports such as were being proposed all over the place during the 1960's until practicalities put a stop to them. Certainly rotor tip noise should be efficiantly supresssed if this design works.

Any thoughts?

Project ZERO

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

All I can say is that is one sweet design for an aircraft. I want it for my next car. I wonder if it will fit in my garage

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It's a slick looking craft, but I doubt it will replace the chopper. There have been many similar VTOL designs and prototypes over the years that either never made it to the assembly line or just never caught on to make it cost effective.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Great looking Bird. The prototype and approach to less drag coupled with the diesel electric design might just work. Have to wonder what the top speed will be and what provisions will be made for lost of power to one of the fans? No auto-rotation so no power and you eject or crash. Really do like the looks much better than the prototype of the V-22 which was also good looking.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
Have to wonder what the top speed will be and what provisions will be made for lost of power to one of the fans? No auto-rotation so no power and you eject or crash. .

It's got wings - it can glide

Unless it's under the "deadman's curve" (too low and/or too slow for autorotation or whatever they defermine the equivalent to be) of course

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

It looks like a flying Groucho Marx.
Am I the only one that thinks It looks like
a giant flying schnoz with glasses?
Well you did say ANY thoughts.

edit on 7-5-2013 by RavenSpeaks because: spacing

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Have to wonder what the top speed will be and what provisions will be made for lost of power to one of the fans? No auto-rotation so no power and you eject or crash. .

It's got wings - it can glide

Unless it's under the "deadman's curve" (too low and/or too slow for autorotation or whatever they defermine the equivalent to be) of course

Agree but with little wing and not much rudder for power loss you will have Vsse =Safe single engine speed plus the dead mans curve to all be figured out in the testing. Maybe a single engine approach speed of 200 knots?? Max tire speed is usually 186 knots or about 235 mph? if I remember so lets just say it is pretty and wait for the flight test completion. we do not know what airfoil they decided on for the wings, so approach could be much slower.....But in transition or verticle flight is where things can get serious really quick... . I hope it gets off the ground and proves to have an advantage over what is out there now; neat design.
edit on 7-5-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I saw this a couple months ago, and really really want one for my next vehicle. It just looks like it would be so much fun to fly.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

[
Agree but with little wing and not much rudder for power loss...

From eth look of it I think it will be a "flying wing" - the small vertical stabs won't be much of a hunderence.

that great big hole in the middle of the wing might be tho!!

But in transition or verticle flight is where things can get serious really quick... .

Or instantly even!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Any thoughts?

Read the exclusive definitive story here:
www.vtol.org...

AgustaWestland plans to release more information at the American Helicopter Society (AHS) International's Annual Forum on May 21.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vstol

That article shows more rudder has been added or vertical stabs which were not visible in the original picture...or I just missed it? Will be glad to see a video of it flying....

top topics

join