It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The nation of Syria is disconnected from the Internet again

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I own a couple of Libyan domain names, I'm always keeping a close eye on those.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I wonder if this has something to do with #OpUSA that is going on today. . .

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by angryjaimen

They still have landlines open and word of mouth will carry it further than you think.

Looks like land lines have been cut now, as well.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Total blackout...the calm before the storm, the eve of battle draws near, soon the fog will lift all will be revealed....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Interesting find OP

I am more inclined to believe that Syria is up to something.
but what?
Using chemical weapons on the rebels?
planning a big attack on Israel?
Strange that even the landlines are down.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
Interesting find OP

I am more inclined to believe that Syria is up to something.
but what?
Using chemical weapons on the rebels?
planning a big attack on Israel?
Strange that even the landlines are down.

cell phone are down the only thing working are sat phones,
kinda makes me go
something is about to happen

xploder

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I guess they can blame the 'Syrian Electronic Army'.

Going around hacking Verified MS Twitter accounts, for s**ts & gigs. Lmfao. You can't just hack 'CBS' affiliates, talking about how "Obama is in bed with Al Qaeda."
The S.E.A.... what a rag-tag bunch.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I wonder if this was the reason behind the blackout. Downed internet/cell towers/land lines probably caused a delay in reinforcements.

Reuters: Assad's forces capture strategic town in southern Syria

The Syrian army captured a strategic southern town from rebel fighters on Wednesday after a ferocious two-month bombardment, in an advance likely to result in President Bashar al-Assad's forces regaining control of an international transit route, opposition sources said.

The fall of Khirbet Ghazaleh, situated in the Hauran Plain on the highway to Jordan, came after a Jordanian-backed Syrian opposition military council failed to supply weapons to the town's defenders.

Rebel fighters, operating under the umbrella of the Free Syrian Army, cut off the highway to Jordan two months ago. But keeping the road off-limits to Assad's forces depended on retaining Khirbet Ghazaleh, which is at a crossroads leading west to the contested city of Deraa, the sources said.

About 1,000 rebel fighters withdrew from Khirbet Ghazaleh on Wednesday after losing hope that reinforcements would come from Jordan, which has been cautious about provoking a military response from Assad, activists and opposition fighters said.

"Assad's forces started advancing from the north and west and I can still go back to Khirbet Ghazaleh but I cannot do anything," Abu Yacoub, commander of the Martyrs of Khirbet Ghazaleh brigade, told Reuters by telephone from Hauran.

"Tomorrow, the big tragedy will happen, the regime's supply route to Deraa will reopen and the officers will go back and ammunition will be resupplied and the bombardment will resume," said Abu Yacoub. "For 61 days we had choked them by controlling Khirbet Ghazaleh."

I'm not as familiar with Syria's geography as I'd like to be, but this seems to be a crushing blow to the opposition.
edit on 8-5-2013 by angryjaimen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

i am now wondering how you managed to pull the plug? there is no easy way to pull the plug

Only if you don't understand the technology.

From what I've been reading, there are on average about 80-100 BGP links to Syria. Border Gateway Protocol is one of the handful of protocols that make the internet work. Think of it as routing for routers, it's not, but that's easier than explaining what it actually does.

BGP links networks, and without BGP links, your network becomes isolated.

It's quite simple really, the ISP servers the link, logically, not physically. Remove or block the BGP links, done. Your whole country is offline. I don't know how Syria operates domestically, but I'd assume the government has control over the internet, and can shut it down at will as they apparently already have.

That said. This does not bode well at all.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
does it bother anyone that the Umbrella Security Labs did this? sounds like something straight out of resident evil... maybe i play too many video games and watch too many movies but it really kinda scares the hell out of me that something actually named Umbrella did this...
edit on 8-5-2013 by TexasSeabee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It is ok now . calm down...

thenextweb.com...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As I can't post this news as new threat, as I don't have permission yet, here some incredible news about the Israel attack on Syria some days ago.

The Israeli airstrike was coordinated with al-Qaida-linked rebels according to WABC moderator und New-York-Times-author Aaron Klein

kleinonline.wnd.com... tely-after-todays-bomb-attack/

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So it was a U.S. / Israel strike then...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Can someone put data up regarding the chronicity of internet shut down during arab spring in: Egypt, Libya, Tunisia?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Could this be MISO? A PsyOp from our DOD? Seems this took place in Libya and Tunisia?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I've seen the most grotesque images from Syria, from the Sarin gas and the killing of innocent women with dead babies in their hands, Its so surreal to look at this knowing that its really happening in this time,60000 people already died. and none of the western countries take action to stop this Its the twenty-first century unbelievable!

The governments of what I believe or NATO are now talking to intervene but everybody seems to have an agenda to follow...

The western countries don't want to invade because of all the previous invasions in the middle eastern countries. Russia looks at it economically and wants something in return. Israel did some attacks but has been whistled back to not intervene.
Turkey doesn't want anti western demonstrations in their country if they intervene. The US doesn't want to be the country western blazing guns.

What is going on how long do we have to look at this unbearable situation.. We really live in a strange world where on the other hand someone with hart-attack gets a new hart and several thousand miles away we shoot someones hart out of his chest...

peace

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
19 hours is a while for the internet to be cut off. I am sure it was not the group who shut it off who were the ones who turned it back on. Usually, when a shut down happens it is a one of the countless Anon collectives who get it turned back on.

I cannot say who exactly turned it off in the first place. I doubt Assad`s government did it because there would be no benefit at this point. The rebels could have found a way to cut it off considering that it is pretty clear they are the ones using nerve gas against people. Israel is a likely candidate as well considering they have cut off access to Palestine before.

I was talking to some people at other spots on the net recently and I said that `there are no more good guys in Syria.` The only exception are the common people who are not on any side. They are just trying to survive it all. Yet, as far as all the competing groups goes they have all gone way over the line. Madness of the highest order.

At least the common people got the net back. Let`s hope they are able to tell the tale and the truth of it all can keep coming out.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well, I know the US will not intervene, already THIS SITE alone goes all crazy, huffin an puffin the moment the US sets foot in another country. Well, now that the world see's these terrible atrocities in syria, like mothers holding there dead babies, they cry an moan, where is the US?
After Iraq an afghanistan, you come crying back now? Go ahead, let YOUR countries military do the dirty work for once. People are disgusted at isreal for its strike, but at least they are doing somthing, right? They themselves can be the beacon of hope for these civilians.
If the US intervenes, we will get all the crap from other nations an its people.
If the US doesnt intervene, we get all the crap from the SAME NATIONS AND ITS PEOPLE.
So no matter what we do, we gonna get crap from nations an those arm chair researchers.
I believe the media blackout was to keep people from seeing whats really happening now, I bet some terrible things ae going on there....right as we type our 2 cents in.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Must be an invasion underway.

Cutting off the internet and telecommunications keeps the Syrian government in the dark of what is happening on the ground around the country.

The west likes to strike in the dark, because they have superior technology that can see and operate in darkness. The first thing for an invasion, then, is to cut the communications and the electrical power. Then you can just walk in and take over. It's a total blackout. By the time the lights come back on, it'll all be over, and Syria will have a new government, supported by the west.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
And they're cut off again as of August 30 according to the Washington Post:

Syria’s largest city just dropped off the Internet
www.washingtonpost.com...
By Andrea Peterson, Published: August 30 at 2:55 pm

...received a tip informing us that Internet was out in parts of Northern Syria. Following up on that lead, we contacted Doug Madory of Internet intelligence company Renesys. In a recent blog post, Madory explained that outages in the Aleppo area are strongly correlated to disruptions in Turk Telekom’s service to the Syrian Telecommunications Establishment. When Turk Telekom service drops out of Syria, Aleppo appears to experience a “last mile” outage, but other areas continue to have Internet access through PCCW and Deutsche Telekom.
According to Madory, Turk Telekom service to Syria dropped out at 17:48:42 UTC on Aug 29. This suggests that Internet service in the Aleppo area has been out since last night.
Aleppo reportedly suffered a similar Internet and mobile outage Aug. 13. At the time, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a group critical of the Assad regime, claimed both mobile telecommunications services and Internet were cut off.
Given the intense fighting in the Aleppo area, it’s possible that the outages are related to local infrastructure damage. However, Internet outages in Syria have a curious history of happening at times convenient for the Assad regime. In November 2012, some 92 percent of national Syrian Internet traffic went offline as the regime was rumored to be mixing chemical weapon components, while 78 percent of traffic went offline in January when Assad gave a rare public address. Some past localized Internet outages have also coincided with government offensives in those areas.

www.washingtonpost.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join