It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make it a requirement to have offspring/s to enter the armed forces

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Originally posted by Jepic

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by Jepic

I never thought about it that way before, it is interesting.
And you're right, if I get smoked, that's it for my family. The buck stops here.

But then what would people like me do outside of the military?
I would most likely be dead or in prison by now, or dead in prison.

I think it should stay as it is. It's an understood voluntary risk, and shouldn't be arbitrarily taken away from us. Whatever will be, will be.

Glad to see that you agree with me if even somewhat.

For stuff that you could do prior to entering the force on your 27th birthday is basically what I said to a previous poster, make a family. Unless you have a type of reproductive impairment then you should be allowed to enter the military as soon as you wish.

Star for you btw.
Sometimes I forget...
edit on 7/5/13 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

Make a family while in the military, it's a lot cheaper that's for sure. My three kids cost me a total of $70 and change and that was to pay for the hospital "food". One was a breech/C section so mom had to stay a couple extra days.

It is true. But it's not a healthy reason to join the military. The healthiest reason for joining the military is a genuine interest to assist and protect your nation and people. Not to make life easier through a paycheck.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Jepic

It is ridiculous to exclude someone based on their family status.
Some military members rely heavily on having a family with children as a way to get through what they do.

Sorry. I don't quite understand what you are telling me. What do you mean by "...rely heavily on having a family with children as a way to get through what they do."?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Having the family support system behind them is one way that many service members get through their tasks. it is their support system.

Many, do it without a family.

Having a restriction on such things is ridiculous.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Also in my homeland during the times of ancient greece it was seen as the duty of every person to marry have children and raise a family. The importance of that seems to be lost in modern times. It's a pity. Maybe if things in that aspect returned to the way it was in the past there wouldn't be so many people that feel depressed, lonely and lost nowadays.

Well said!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Jepic, Have you ever served?

I ask, because it doesn't seem like you have, at least not in the US armed forces. Plus, if you did, you'd understand why they don't typically want older recruits.

I'll address some points you made,

At age 27, people are more likely to have damaged bodies, or not be able to handle the physical rigors of military training. Even with a "desk job" I was still required to meet all physical fitness standards. If I would've stayed in, my knees probably would be damaged like those who were in for 10 + years. At 10 years, I would've been 27. At 17, I was much more flexible and stronger, than what I was at 27. Additionally, a 37 year old would have more physical problems after 10 years of serving, even more after 20 years. These problems the VA would have to pay for once they were out since it's service connected.
Additionally, a younger person will have the body to carry flak vest, helmet, belt, weapon, etc while traveling great distances in heat or bad weather while deployed. When you're deployed, even desk jobs have moments where we have to wear our gear. I know I did. And don't forget to add the weight of the gear when it rains. Soaking wet flak vest is awful.

At age 27, people's brains can not learn as quickly as when they were in their early 20's. The rigors of basic training and tech school would have to change due to the fact that 27 year olds have already developed their own ways of doing things and they may not be as willing to learn a new skill as a fresh out of high school person could.

At 27, people aren't willing to accept orders without question.

A family is a distraction that would require some people to have problems while deployed. Even though people with families join all the time, for honor or benefits, while deployed things change. A person who has a family at home may not want to leave their spouse and children or risk their lives for a cause they may not fully agree with, especially in theater. Having older recruits or people with families won't change politicians desires for global conquest of resources.
Risking your life knowing you could leave the people you love with all your heart fatherless/motherless, spouseless, is much different than risking your life knowing you'll only leave your parents childless.

While in the military, you are away from your family. It doesn't matter if you're deployed for years or not. While at your duty station, you won't see your spouse or children that much because you're always working late, odd hours, or the base is always exercising, which is performing drills. Because of lack of time together, a lot of military marriages fall apart. One of the main reasons I left the military is knowing I would miss the first two years of my daughter's life if I stayed in (I was pregnant). Sure when not deployed, I'd be home occasionally, but because the military believes your on duty 24/7 I could be stuck in base exercises or going TDY, or just working extended or odd hours because they could make me.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm going to have to say a big fat "NO" to your proposal based on several reasons that I will outline below.

First: West Point Military Academy doesn't let anyone in with dependents, if you happen to get one while attending the college, you are expelled. The majority of the cadets at this college are between 18 and 22 (college age). They would have to completely restructure the way this academy works if they implemented your proposal.

Second: 27 is far too old to be the minimum age for a soldier. Soldier pay is so miserable that unless you are a fresh high school grad or have no where else to turn to, enlisting should be the last thing on your mind. Not to mention, most people's peek physical fitness is reached at around 25. So you are suggesting that our military learn how to fight and then slowly lose their reaction time as they go to fight a war. Nonsense.

Third: Younger people are frankly easier to mold and make listen to directions and following directions is a way of life in the military. When under fire, you cannot be taking the time to ask your Sergeant "Why?" when he tells you to get your head down. You just obey the order.

Fourth: Do you just assume that no one has siblings these days? Why are you making the blanket statement that if someone doesn't have kids and dies, his bloodline stops there? What if he/she has a brother or sister? Wouldn't they reproducing continue the bloodline?

Fifth: As a veteran of the U.S. Army that joined when I was 18 in 2003 and served in Iraq in 2005 I can say that you know nothing of military life. If it wasn't for the military I would be in some dead end job, not being able to go to college because I seriously slacked off in my last year of high school, and without many of the morals and virtues that I learned in the military that helped me mature faster than my peers of the same age. Thanks to the military I am able to now go to college free of charge and have a good job lined up when I graduate at the end of the month. I am currently 28, if we implemented your stupid law, I'd have to of waited til a year ago to join the armed forces and probably be too out of shape to even think about it anyways.

Edit to add:
Sixth: There are far more dangerous jobs then being in the military like underwater welding or Arctic fishing. Any of these professions can be pursued without a next of kin.

To be honest bloodlines aren't really all that important to protect these days anyways. There are close to 7 billion people on Earth. I'm sure the human race can afford to lose a few bloodlines. There is nothing in our biological makeup that says that we owe it to our ancestors to reproduce. In fact if everyone DID reproduce we would be facing overpopulation far greater than what we are facing today.
edit on 7-5-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I've always wondered why the military lets people with no children in. It's a terrible thing because apart from risking his bloodline it is also a loss to the genetic diversity of the country.

You are basically losing population for good. Basically you are losing a bloodline that has existed since milennia and milennia ago. In a single moment. That in my eyes is an outrage.

But what do you think? Is my proposal a good idea?
edit on 7/5/13 by Jepic because: grammar

That is about as well thot out as scented toilet paper. You lose nothing. Bloodline are spread out . No one person is the whole of there blood line. They simple do not know the other peole that carry it. 6 billion on the planet we all came from a few. Beside Americans don't really think like that.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I think it's a ridiculous idea!

I don't think people care about bloodlines like they use to!!

If someone wants to join the military let them! It shouldn't matter if they have kids or not. I'd rather see a man join who doesn't have kids than one who does and then dies making the children fatherless. Of course I don't care if either were to join but your idea is just silly.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

It's true. But what do you think about my proposal?

I think your heart is in the right place, but remember, we're dealing with a government that barely cares for its own war-torn troops after they return home with missing limbs, PTSD, brain injuries, etc.

Government sees only statistics. This is because most of the people who want to be "leaders" do it for the power and money, not to serve humanity.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Do I sense a "we must preserve white racial purity and prevent complete global ethnic mixing" undercurrent?
No way would I condone the requirement for people to reproduce before joining the military. Besides, the concept of bloodlines is a social construct. People might as well practice inbreeding if they care about sleek, pure family trees that much.

edit on 7-5-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hey collieta and Krazysh0t, I'll reply to you guys tomorrow as there are quite a few points I want to talk about and it's late and I'm tired. Starred for content though.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythots

I've always wondered why the military lets people with no children in. It's a terrible thing because apart from risking his bloodline it is also a loss to the genetic diversity of the country.

You are basically losing population for good. Basically you are losing a bloodline that has existed since milennia and milennia ago. In a single moment. That in my eyes is an outrage.

But what do you think? Is my proposal a good idea?
edit on 7/5/13 by Jepic because: grammar

That is about as well thot out as scented toilet paper. You lose nothing. Bloodline are spread out . No one person is the whole of there blood line. They simple do not know the other peole that carry it. 6 billion on the planet we all came from a few. Beside Americans don't really think like that.

Yea but every person is part of a bloodline. As small as it may be. I agree that americans might not think that way though.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I think it's a ridiculous idea!

I don't think people care about bloodlines like they use to!!

If someone wants to join the military let them! It shouldn't matter if they have kids or not. I'd rather see a man join who doesn't have kids than one who does and then dies making the children fatherless. Of course I don't care if either were to join but your idea is just silly.

I get it that it's not how it works. It's just how I would do it. Every man counts in my opinion.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by Jepic

It's true. But what do you think about my proposal?

I think your heart is in the right place, but remember, we're dealing with a government that barely cares for its own war-torn troops after they return home with missing limbs, PTSD, brain injuries, etc.

Government sees only statistics. This is because most of the people who want to be "leaders" do it for the power and money, not to serve humanity.

Thank you for that compliment. You are right. It's a pity that the government only cares about power and money.
Starred.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Do I sense a "we must preserve white racial purity and prevent complete global ethnic mixing" undercurrent?
No way would I condone the requirement for people to reproduce before joining the military. Besides, the concept of bloodlines is a social construct. People might as well practice inbreeding if they care about sleek, pure family trees that much.

edit on 7-5-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

You are partly right. I care about preserving racial diversity though, not only that of white people. I think part of what makes us great is that we are a diverse people in this little planet.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by Jepic

I never thought about it that way before, it is interesting.
And you're right, if I get smoked, that's it for my family. The buck stops here.

But then what would people like me do outside of the military?
I would most likely be dead or in prison by now, or dead in prison.

I think it should stay as it is. It's an understood voluntary risk, and shouldn't be arbitrarily taken away from us. Whatever will be, will be.

Glad to see that you agree with me if even somewhat.

For stuff that you could do prior to entering the force on your 27th birthday is basically what I said to a previous poster, make a family. Unless you have a type of reproductive impairment then you should be allowed to enter the military as soon as you wish.

Star for you btw.
Sometimes I forget...
edit on 7/5/13 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

Make a family while in the military, it's a lot cheaper that's for sure. My three kids cost me a total of $70 and change and that was to pay for the hospital "food". One was a breech/C section so mom had to stay a couple extra days.

It is true. But it's not a healthy reason to join the military. The healthiest reason for joining the military is a genuine interest to assist and protect your nation and people. Not to make life easier through a paycheck.

Why do you think most join? It's for the steady paycheck (very little chance of lay offs), learning a skill, and benefits. Sure some join out of a sense of patriotism, but most join for some sort of monetary reason.

And while you're in and if you're married, it makes good monetary sense to create your family while in the military.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
well that wont look very encouraging on the pamphlet. i mean.... expecting to die and all.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

So because I am unable to have children I shouldn't be allowed in to the military!?!!

It's each individuals personal decision to enter the military. They know the risks when signing up. We are currently in a war and have been for some time.

Sorry but I don't agree with or like this idea at all.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

You hit it on the nail brother.
Jepic, your proposal flat out sucks. It yields no benefit to the US or the safety of our people.
We have established that fact with not only mothers, fathers an current/retired military service members.
BUT, you continue to insist "its my opinion, thats just what I'll do", Okay we get it, so whats your next point? You asked an a number of posters gave their opinions, but of the variety lot, you continue to spout your same two cents. So where is this thread going? I tell you what, no where.
No offense an I don't mean to be mean if thats the impression your getting, I respect your opinion, but its not realistic, its all negated do to the fact that its peoples choice that they want to join, they know that its in a time of war and people do LIVE, physically an enrichment wise, being in the army, I spend time with some of the most diverse people in all corners of the country, rich an poor, all walks of life, we get paid to workout, shoot weapons systems, drive cool vehicles an play OP4 an BLUE4. When I'm off I enjoy all the military discounts on various family oriented events. Yes, I know that wearing this uniform my life expectancy drops, I know that any moment I could be killed...an you know what? I'm at peace with myself. I love my family an they love me an they know what this career entails, I make no attempt to suger coat it.
So please, your nonsense proposal has no place in this country, your actions will get people killed. I am grateful tjat your just some random poster an not a person in charge...or a leader for that matter.
You continue to insist that "its not right", you don't worry about whats in the best interest of other people, you worry about your own. If you see a man drowning, save him, but don't tell him how to LIVE.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

And let's see if their warface is as good as Mel Gibsons.

He's definitely crazy.

I bet the police recognize that photo from Mel's "Jew Tirade".

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join