It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more Allah Hu Akbar.. Go on ********

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Haha, its different. Its more of an appreciation, then praising it.

At least it is not faith. I mean, the computer in front of you is real right? probably is the food you ate this morning and your digestive system, as well as the toilet flush system.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Can someone tell me where we discovered faster than light travel?

I mean, it's pretty good news. I missed it, apparently.

We can now reach other stars.

I need to spend more time on the internet.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

this may help you out

the problem is money..that is used for wars

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Can't wait! Freedom in the form of a nuclear war

edit on 7-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

loool

i know its sounds like duh..

but I cant see another way out..do you?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

how do you explain the Jesus story in a universe with trillions of trillions of panets like Earth?, did jesus chose Earth from all these planets?..did he crusified himself on all planets in all forms?..or Jesus was only an Earth Story 2000 years old full of xit?

The..umm.. "Jesus Story" happens to be the core of Faith to over a billion people. It's kinda like calling Atheists a bunch of mental defectives who worship humanity more than the one true God. ....now see how ugly that sounds to say? Many believe it too, though, just as you take the Holy Bible to be a mere fable.

Having noted all that ... I'd also note there are real strong rumors that entire sections of the Bible were dumped wholesale during a Convention hundreds of years ago. Some rumors even have it that parts of what got deleted for the re-writes may have dealt with life elsewhere.

Nowhere in the Bible I've heard or had pointed to by others who do study it, does it preclude life elsewhere OR declare life on Earth to be the one and only form in the vast Universe. It simply doesn't speak directly to others ....and then, see above for how it may have at one time. We just don't know. No reason to figure the Faiths for a fair % of Earth need thrown out for what keeps them grounded and works well in their life though, eh?

edit on 7-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken

Originally posted by winofiend

this may help you out

the problem is money..that is used for wars

So true. NASA is severely underfunded and at risk for more budget cuts in the near future. Only ~0.5% of the federal budget is allocated to NASA while an even larger percentage is allocated to the military. Space exploration, the development of novel technologies, and active scientific research carried out by NASA provide so many economic benefits. National spending needs to be reprioritized.

Space exploration is probably the second most important endeavor of our species.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tridentblue

Hmm... what bothers me about this thread.. I think its the way it espouses science, but doesn't really embrace it.

You wanna know a hard truth? I'll tell you one: The guy who blows himself up because somebody told him he'd get 72 virgins if he did? You know that guy? He had probably had access to science, to all the rest. His beliefs were a product of his cognitive abilities - which is to say he's dumb. Which is to say if you removed religion he would still be dumb. He would not be contributing to speed of light travel to get us to that star 5 light years away if he weren't reading the Koran.

So seriously, if you want to espouse science, come up with a way to cure that guy's dumbness. Seriously. Removing a religious narrative shared by dumbasses isn't going to get rid of dumbasses.

People aren't as smart anymore. Seriously think about it. We sent our smartest and most physically fit people to go die in wars for close to a hundred years now. We were breeding out intelligence and also allowing the lame or those with genetic defects to sit at home and breed. No wonder we haven't colonized the solar system, or even our moon yet.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

how do you explain the Jesus story in a universe with trillions of trillions of panets like Earth?, did jesus chose Earth from all these planets?..did he crusified himself on all planets in all forms?..or Jesus was only an Earth Story 2000 years old full of xit?

The..umm.. "Jesus Story" happens to be the core of Faith to over a billion people. It's kinda like calling Atheists a bunch of mental defectives who worship humanity more than the one true God. ....now see how ugly that sounds to say? Many believe it too, though, just as you take the Holy Bible to be a mere fable.

Having noted all that ... I'd also note there are real strong rumors that entire sections of the Bible were dumped wholesale during a Convention hundreds of years ago. Some rumors even have it that parts of what got deleted for the re-writes may have dealt with life elsewhere.

Nowhere in the Bible I've heard or had pointed to by others who do study it, does it preclude life elsewhere OR declare life on Earth to be the one and only form in the vast Universe. It simply doesn't speak directly to others ....and then, see above for how it may have at one time. We just don't know. No reason to figure the Faiths for a fair % of Earth need thrown out for what keeps them grounded and works well in their life though, eh?

edit on 7-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction

Dear Wrabbit...

This is really simple..

Question : Considering the Universe having trillions of billions of planets like earth...choose ONE from below :

A) Jesus chose Earth from all the planets to come and change water to wine, do some miracles, get crusified etc

B) Jesus turned water to wine..crusified himself..on all Planets in the universe and in all alien form

C) This story was created 2000 years ago, in an age where they did not know anything about astronomy...they didnt even know the starts are suns like ours..so its now to be called BS and let us evolve

Please..choose one

thanks bro

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nacirema

Dear Nacirema

I can presume me and you agree on this..please let me add that we as a species have no Instructions book on what to do next on planet Earth right..but..we have hints all over from our universe that your primary goal must be to be able to leave your planet ASAP

The hints?>

The universe is violent...in our solar system we are surrounded by dead planets..planets that are crying out how violent the universe is...full of craters...but so full that you find craters of all sizes and everywhere

And instead of grasping the message..we keep on fighting each other..instead of uniting we a common goal

now we have the technology to unite...me and you are talking to each other from the comfort of our home..just a slight example how united the world can now be..only 1 thing is keeping us from evolving..religion

and I'm 100% sure about this

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I can't choose one of your three. I could try, and then back peddle like mad or play other games...but that wouldn't be sincere and I do respect your logic and thinking. I just strongly disagree with it. All 3 of your options are worded in such a way as to assume and/or lead to a preset conclusion. It's not a fair set of options, unless we're already of like mind on the overall topic being discussed, which we are not.

In terms of the idea that Astronomy was an unknown? Which time period do we mean here? The Maya, as just one example of many which are documented by archaeological record among other things, had knowledge and awareness of stars and the movement of the heavens which rivals our own, today. The Bible has two parts, Old and New. They were written very differently and certainly not penned by one man or even one set of men in a single era.

It makes your entire premise somewhat faulty by assuming a level of simplicity that doesn't exist in the topic matter.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's kinda like calling Atheists a bunch of mental defectives who worship humanity more than the one true God. ....now see how ugly that sounds to say?

doesn't sound ugly at all, because it's nonsense.

Humanity is tangible, comprehensible, visible...in other words...real to us humans. We individually are what humanity consists of...and all our predecessors.

God...perhaps real...is far from tangible, visible or comprehensible to us humans. More unreal than real. Hence the following. If he were more real...people wouldn't believe.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

doesn't sound ugly at all, because it's nonsense.

I think my point is...that is precisely how the billions of Faithful in the world view the opinion you hold. To say yours is a minority opinion is understating it to something of a ridiculous extreme, in fact. That isn't said as sarcasm but statistical, numerical fact. It makes the respect issue...as I'd think of it...all the more important in showing both directions, doesn't it? One doesn't have to believe the same or agree in any way ...to show basic respect for those who do, do they?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sorry, are we advocating the death of men, women, and children because they aren't atheists?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Just because there is 1 billion or rather 3-4 billion, who believes something that don't make them right. 2000 yrs of religion produces people that are unable to think outside the religious box, any conversation they get into is someone connected to god, consciously or subconsciously.

Fail the exam? you didn't study hard enough.

Pass the exam? thank god you passed t!

I agree with living among people with different opinion, i mean, we are humans. But when that opinion(which has no evidence) starts to get integrated into laws and regulation and daily lives... that's when it becomes an issue.

God has already infiltrated into many countries(even if it was not there at the start), national anthems and pledges.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
Sorry, are we advocating the death of men, women, and children because they aren't atheists?

I think you are mistaken. That's why religious do and have done in the past.

Join our sect or being killed!

Atheist do not have a sect to begin with, just like people who do not play tennis have a "Not Playing Tennis Club"

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I think my point is...that is precisely how the billions of Faithful in the world view the opinion you hold. To say yours is a minority opinion is understating it to something of a ridiculous extreme, in fact. That isn't said as sarcasm but statistical, numerical fact. It makes the respect issue...as I'd think of it...all the more important in showing both directions, doesn't it? One doesn't have to believe the same or agree in any way ...to show basic respect for those who do, do they?

But their "opinion" is based on...something "tangible"...detectable...you can even call it scientific. Finally it's provable. That which we hold so dear to all other branches of our existence, but in our quest for God...we chose, out of fear, not to ask for...proof.

Other's opinion...is just that...and I respect it...any man that wants to believe in a God...but we can't prove him...not really.

So do we really need to respect opinions that are based on...opinions ? What is there to debate than ? Why are we here on this forum, if facts don't matter. Why do we sentence criminals, if facts don't matter ?

Sorry if I got sidetracked here....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'm sorry, I can't choose one of your three. I could try, and then back peddle like mad or play other games...but that wouldn't be sincere and I do respect your logic and thinking. I just strongly disagree with it. All 3 of your options are worded in such a way as to assume and/or lead to a preset conclusion. It's not a fair set of options, unless we're already of like mind on the overall topic being discussed, which we are not.

In terms of the idea that Astronomy was an unknown? Which time period do we mean here? The Maya, as just one example of many which are documented by archaeological record among other things, had knowledge and awareness of stars and the movement of the heavens which rivals our own, today. The Bible has two parts, Old and New. They were written very differently and certainly not penned by one man or even one set of men in a single era.

It makes your entire premise somewhat faulty by assuming a level of simplicity that doesn't exist in the topic matter.

so why do you think the church persecuted astronomers..just for fun??
its because they couldnt choose from the questions i did to you..like you did..you are choosing not to think about it..and in the meantime..billions of people keep not not answering the question

religion dont want you to evolve..because once you evolve you realize everything was BS

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by Covertblack

I think you are mistaken. That's why religious do and have done in the past.

Join our sect or being killed!

Atheist do not have a sect to begin with, just like people who do not play tennis have a "Not Playing Tennis Club"

Apologies, however I do not advocate letting people kill innocents because I do not agree with their views.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

and sorry dear friend..but i will re-ask you to evaluate the questions again..i think this thread deserves your answer

if you are religious you choose A i think

or you are feeling unsure about A?

keep in mind your religion is based on that fact..that Jesus the son of god came here...

if you cant give me an answer what the hack are you doing here defending religion??

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join