It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes "Marketplace Fairness Act aka Internet Sales Tax

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by DoubleDNH

... but why does everyone not want to shop locally and help the people in your community... you should be doing this already if you ask me. Instead, you send your money off to parts unknown to god knows who and feed into big business.

Because the last time I've been able to find anything I was looking for in a brick and mortar store other than groceries was never.

Unless I want to ignore the fact that the thing I really want is online somewhere and just buy the thing that closests resembles what I want because it's the only thing available.

Then buy it online and pay your local sales tax but online vendors should NOT have the advantage of not charging tax like the local mom n pop stores.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Ahhh.... I've come to learn that when a bill has "Fairness" in the name? The only thing it's going to be "Fair" to is the Government itself. We never see the nice end of that fair concept. Just the big blunt end where the sun don't shine.

I now have absolutely no reason to shop online when the same product exists in a real store, anywhere within driving distance. The only benefit left was a bit of savings. Now? The offset falls in favor of a real counter and human being to go raise hell with when it breaks or never works in the first place. Nice forward thinking there, Congress. Oh yeah.... regular brainiacs up there.

I don't understand why people have an issue with this bill. It protects the mom n pop stores and local retailers. I understand you will have to pay an extra couple percent on your bill but why does everyone not want to shop locally and help the people in your community... you should be doing this already if you ask me. Instead, you send your money off to parts unknown to god knows who and feed into big business.

...and what of my business, as I may one day want to set up online? Am I not worthy of maintaining the benefits which have made that worthwhile up to this point? As a consumer, should I be losing the small benefit that made the other downsides and inherent risks of shopping online with products and business unseen, worth it?

In the endless, endless grab for more money? It just never EVER stops. It's tax, more tax, and OH! Did they miss a tiny loophole somewhere? A spot which hasn't been taxed half to death? A fishing hole with a dollar still swimming around, unmolested? Well, they MUST fix that oversight!

Application of taxes toward the Internet has been avoided and for good reason. The lack of them and paperwork associated with collecting and staying in compliance with them has encouraged risk by normal people like you and me to either start business or buy from it ...in a setting that isn't so easy to make the sale in on trust alone, before touching the myriad other issues. That's been a GOOD basis ....and in a down economy?? Why is it the ONLY side that is absolutely DEMANDING their "Fair Share" ends not with a .com but with a .gov??

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Ahhh.... I've come to learn that when a bill has "Fairness" in the name? The only thing it's going to be "Fair" to is the Government itself. We never see the nice end of that fair concept. Just the big blunt end where the sun don't shine.

I now have absolutely no reason to shop online when the same product exists in a real store, anywhere within driving distance. The only benefit left was a bit of savings. Now? The offset falls in favor of a real counter and human being to go raise hell with when it breaks or never works in the first place. Nice forward thinking there, Congress. Oh yeah.... regular brainiacs up there.

I don't understand why people have an issue with this bill. It protects the mom n pop stores and local retailers. I understand you will have to pay an extra couple percent on your bill but why does everyone not want to shop locally and help the people in your community... you should be doing this already if you ask me. Instead, you send your money off to parts unknown to god knows who and feed into big business.

...and what of my business, as I may one day want to set up online? Am I not worthy of maintaining the benefits which have made that worthwhile up to this point? As a consumer, should I be losing the small benefit that made the other downsides and inherent risks of shopping online with products and business unseen, worth it?

In the endless, endless grab for more money? It just never EVER stops. It's tax, more tax, and OH! Did they miss a tiny loophole somewhere? A spot which hasn't been taxed half to death? A fishing hole with a dollar still swimming around, unmolested? Well, they MUST fix that oversight!

Application of taxes toward the Internet has been avoided and for good reason. The lack of them and paperwork associated with collecting and staying in compliance with them has encouraged risk by normal people like you and me to either start business or buy from it ...in a setting that isn't so easy to make the sale in on trust alone, before touching the myriad other issues. That's been a GOOD basis ....and in a down economy?? Why is it the ONLY side that is absolutely DEMANDING their "Fair Share" ends not with a .com but with a .gov??

Wrabbit, you are welcome to your opinion but I for one would rather keep my money local and I have no problem with online retailers being forced to collect tax for the sales they transact with their customers. Just because the company hides behind the internet doesn't mean they are immune from the laws and taxes which are enforced everywhere around them.

The thing which blows my mind is that back in the day I used to work for PC Connection, a huge online retailer of computer hardware and software. They have always collected sales tax based on where the customer was shipping the product to. Now I am wondering if they HAD to, or it not, why were they? This seems like a duplicate law to the existing Nexus laws.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DoubleDNH

That's a real good question you raise on PC Connection. Now that you mention it, I seem to recall a couple places I've bought from over the years which 'helpfully' added in tax as well. Hmmm? I do wonder, now that you mention it. Was that reported as regular sales and passed on for tax or "Value added profit", covered by tax so the price looked lower?

You know, I agree on big retailers. It really isn't logical how they charge sales tax in their physical store but not online? It doesn't make much sense why it's worked that way. On the other hand, and in terms of the local buying, I can cite an example my opinion is partially formed with. It's still, as you say, just my opinion of course...and this effort failed anyway, but for other reasons.

When I was living in a small town in Missouri (Population under 1,000), I had tried making an online business for retail sales and drop shipping as the model. Trucking hasn't always been kind over the years.. No one will ever accuse me of being a latent business major, I'll assure you.
However, buying local? Well, it was a 100% non-existent option. Employment in that town was a chicken plant and when that closed? It's main industry now is the unemployment and welfare office. No joke...it's become that bad.

So, outside big big retailers and corps..I'd just hope folks recall how large a % of online business is like my little effort was there. Had I possessed more business sense, the model could easily have grown exponentially and done very well. I still would have been a guy in a town where work didn't exist elsewhere or by other means ...and doing my little thing on my humble online business. Others sticking stubborn to 'buying local' would simply have insured even that chance at making a living would be a non-starter and failure ...without the other factors which had killed it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Oh, the Govts insatiable appetite for other peoples money. What a sad sad day.

All that the bill is lacking in the title is "It's for the children".

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The only thing a internet tax will do is make things cost more. It's not going to help local business.

Also there's nothing fair about it. Shipping usually is about the same as sales tax. If anything an inernet tax makes online business unfair to the online business, but online will not change, it will only charge more. Most items I buy online can't be found locally. If they could, I would have already bought them locally.

What I think will happen is more online business will go off shore.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
I'll be interested to see in the next year or so how different business is going to be. Will we see a return of our malls and plaza's or will the big shippers further cut their prices to the bone?

What you're going to see is yet another dip in the economy due to the fact that this will drive all but the strongest online businesses to bankruptcy. Hundreds of thousands will lose jobs, and don't think the retail store will benefit enough to re-hire them. Customers will be buying less because of higher prices.

On another aspect of this whole issue, why does no one take these things into consideration:
1) Shipping costs of online buying. In my experience, when you add this, you really aren't saving much (if anything) over paying a sales tax. ETA: mrnotobc just beat me to it.
2) Wait time. Everyone knows that every person in the U.S. wants it NOW! Another reason to buy at a store.
3) What's to keep foreign internet businesses from claiming that they must charge sales tax, then pocketing it?

IMO this whole thing is just an excuse for the government to take more out of our pockets, and is fueled by the desire of the large Wal-Corp stores to tighten their strangle-hold on the market despite the fact that their loss in sales is due to their failure to provide good customer service at reasonable prices. Next step is when the price-fixing will take effect, and sales taxes will go up.

So much for fixing the economy.
edit on 5/8/2013 by AntiNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yea
I know a lot of people who own small businesses, this will help to level the playing field. I know I will draw fire from some people for this but I am a hundred percent behind local small businesses having a fair shake. I would rather see our money spent locally than have it sent away. This creates local jobs.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I disagree. I have a small business, but it is dependent on internet sales.

This is just another way for the Govt to steal from the people.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

It is a tax. The government will get the money it needs to run someway. I would rather see it as an open tax than a pile of hidden taxes and fines for things that shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Originally posted by macman

It is a tax. The government will get the money it needs to run someway. I would rather see it as an open tax than a pile of hidden taxes and fines for things that shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

I don't get why people put up with taxes, serfs/slaves/peasants to ROYALTY used to get taxed 25%, most Americans get taxed more than that today. I mean, really, why do people ACCEPT coerced taxes?

Most local services run off property tax, which begs the question, do you REALLY own your own property?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
thats a shame

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

First off..Thank you OP

You people who support this internet tax will be among those to will come back in 6 months crying "What happened to such and such internet auction site?? I can no longer buy items for 25% or 50% off the retail price!"...

I'm telling you as a fact now..Regardless if they are saying they will only tax those selling in the millions...
BULL S***!
Watch and see who will Once again end up loosing more of their hard earned money....The Average Joe.

This is not the answer to these poorly managed states who can't seem to manage their finances.
You are being deceived, and I stand by what I say "This will cost you"
This move will eliminate the competition of the retail stores..Figure it out....
Whether you are getting screwed from in front or behind, you are still getting screwed!
edit on 8-5-2013 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Washington doesn't have an income tax?

Shows how mcuh I know about taxes.

But anyway, I know that Washington has a sales tax applied to people who live there.

That map should include states with no income tax and no sales tax, right? Because aren't you arguing that a sales tax and/or income tax is bad and just helps to pay for a big budget.

So Washingtion has a sales sax but has a budget surplus.
edit on 8-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Honestly, if a state has a sales tax then this law is just enforcing it online.

Isn't this really just about the whole idea of a sales tax or any tax? (read: OP)

It comes down to:
1) What're taxes for
2) How much do we need
3) Who's benefiting

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
you gotta love the dooble speak
its about being "fair"
you pay more! you pay more!

The government oughta have a two for one sale
buy two get one

btw
I wonder how its working out down in La.
the state that made garage sales illegal
edit on 8-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Not exactly. Online retail sites still offer a wide selection. You can do the ordering all from home. No having to wing it and call some clerk at the local store to make an order. I think online sites will/would still offer something, but not as much as before this (new) enforcement of the sales tax.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Washington doesn't have an income tax?

Shows how mcuh I know about taxes.

But anyway, I know that Washington has a sales tax applied to people who live there.

That map should include states with no income tax and no sales tax, right? Because aren't you arguing that a sales tax and/or income tax is bad and just helps to pay for a big budget.

So Washingtion has a sales sax but has a budget surplus.

Ok, you need to look at the headline of the image before you say sales...it says WA has no INCOME tax.

It is a representation of how well states could do when the tax load is loosened.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

you gotta love the dooble speak
its about being "fair"
you pay more! you pay more!

Yep. Canada's had online sales tax since the inception of online sales. Different taxes for each province. Multiple combos of pst (provincial), gst (goods and services), hst (Quebec ?), all in varying amounts from 5% to more.

It always just worked smoothly......
You're taxed for where delivery goes

I really like being in the lowest taxed province

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I just want to throw in here that there are three basic types of state taxation. Income, sales and property tax. Some states collect one or two but not the third. Some collect all three. To give an honest and accurate indication of the effect of varying levels of taxation you should find a source that discusses total taxation, not just income taxes. Otherwise you are painting an inaccurate picture.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join