It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wheel and The Book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Apprently to make a point, one must start at the beginning. Granted, as you shall see in a moment, the wheel wasn't exactly the beginning, but for most people, they like to use that as a starting point in history of when man actually started to roll along. (Pun Intended!). So, I will as well, just to make the point that I referred to in the beginning of this post.

Here we have the thoughts on origins of the the wheel. Taken form HERE

Wheels are the archetype of a primitive, caveman-level technology. But in fact, they're so ingenious that it wasn't until 3500 B.C. that someone invented them. By that time — it was the Bronze Age — humans were already casting metal alloys, constructing canals and sailboats, and even designing harps and other complex musical instruments.

Hmmm, seems folks were pretty busy before the wheel ever came along. Who knew they needed a wheel?
Obviously someone did because eventually it came along. We shall call him Joe Caveman for now since we dont know his actual name. From reading below, you will see what the actual tricky part of the wheel was what that bothered Joe so much. Can Also be Found HERE

The tricky thing about the wheel was not conceiving of a cylinder rolling on its edge. It was figuring out how to connect a stable, stationary platform to that cylinder.

Hence the Axel.
Now I am not here to go on and on about the wheel, I have a different point.

Joe Caveman must have been a bit out of the norm. Imagine ol Joe in his cave trying to figure out this dilemma. I bet people were whispering behind his back and the wife probably wasnt to happy with him making such a mess of the cave tinkering with his dilemma.
Again I qoute From HERE

The invention of the wheel was so challenging that it probably happened only once, in one place. However, from that place, it seems to have spread so rapidly across Eurasia and the Middle East that experts cannot say for sure where it originated.

It probably only happened once they say. Good for Joe.He is the father of the wheel now. Does anyone know? Seems not except for maybe the neighbors or townsfolk, or the wife if he even had one. It is apparent a lot of plagiarism happened though as it spread like wild fire. In any event, History was made as we still see to this day.

Now what IF, the MSM was there to report on it? How would that have gone? What if he was a overnight sensation? Interviews, wined and dined, you know the drill. What if in one interview he mentioned a book he wrote about how it all came about? How he struggled, how he tinkered through the night, how he almost lost his marriage, his friends pretty much abandoned him? Now mind you this interview is traveling over the mountains and streams desserts and kingdoms. So, now that the news has been able to travel far and wide, much quicker mind you because of the wheel, Utoh. A book he wrote he said? Well, this is hogwash, all he is doing is trying to sell a book. We dont even have any proof he invented the wheel. Just hearsay. Wheels have been around here for years now. What proof does he have and who is he to write a book? Just another shmo trying to make a few more baubles.
Blah.... Evidently it worked in a sense because we STILL dont really know who Joe caveman was.

Moving forward in time, Im guessing any Egyptian interview about how they built the pyramids and any book they may have mentioned that they wrote about it didnt go so well either. We are still trying to figure that one out.

Not to be long winded, let us take a few more historical figures that were probably shunned. Columbus, Davin chi, Edison, Ben Franklin, Tesla. Most were probably thought to be nuts by their peers, but, they wrote books to some extent. Odd, we now place importance on These books.

So, you may ask, where am I going with all this? Sometimes, a person of notable importance, or maybe not so much because they have been deemed a nut case, but smart enough to write a book, may just actually have some real truths to say which they cant get all mentioned in their interviews, hence they mention their book. The Book, that might actually have something to say in more detail of how they came across or about things.

Long and short here, to blow someone off because they mention their book in a interview without taking the time to Actually Read It Yourself is really selling yourself short. Important facts may or not be made in the book, that point is somewhat irrelevant, but until one reads it, how can one possibly consider themselves a expert on it to discuss it?

Books, like the wheel have been a very important part of our culture. The wheel is overlooked, yet used every day. The Book? Well, want to learn something? Read a book yes?

We all know so well by now, many considered crack pots of the past by their own peers, are revered now as true pioneers to our present and future.

If you can, next time a person is interviewed on a subject that may concern you and they happen to mention their book, try not thinking about the fact they are trying to make a book sale, but the fact they they may actually be trying to Teach or Show you something that they have noticed or learned and took the time to Write about it.

I mention all this because of the Citizen Hearing on UFO Disclosure. I myself feel like I am on the precipice of the future being made before my very eyes. I have taken the time to hear what the speakers have actually had to say thanks to Narcolepticbuddha who posted this thread earlier:
LINK They provided the link to be able to listen to the actual speakers.

Yes, many have mentioned their books, and yes, many are dodgy according to ATS members. Regardless, the fact still remains the same. These people have made it their life quest to get too the truth, one way or another. One cannot deny that there is at least smoke burning here. One cannot deny the people speaking are basically pretty credible. Outlandish claims? Perhaps, but, we have the wheel now and we have ventured into space, and well gosh, we have the internet. Not to mention so many other things that are starting to come online to "Make life easier."

Where there is smoke there is fire... where there is a dreamer, there is a book.......

edit on 6/5/13 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Very interesting.

But I take issue with you calling him "Joe Caveman", humans were way past caveman status 5,000 years ago.
If Joe were still around you might be liable for slander.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Very interesting.

But I take issue with you calling him "Joe Caveman", humans were way past caveman status 5,000 years ago.
If Joe were still around you might be liable for slander.

I agree whole hardheartedly. Sometimes I fear semantics will destroy us quicker than any outside threat and we will deserve that fate, for not acknowledging our fellow man as equal. Lessons learned I suppose.

On a side note, if one to read other articles about the invention of the wheel, , they seem to point at the time of the Sumerians. Wow, how often do we point to them for past facts because we read something? !
Thanks for contributing

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Cool thread

A

We down here coined a term for people who get there too quick, apparently we don't like them, so we call it tall poppy syndrome.
The wheel man would have been a tall poppy, figuratively speaking for sure, although he may have been very short.

It's like people have forgotten about the possibilities of miracles (of mind, invention and magic (mim)), whether small or large, they doubt and question, when they should revel.
But good ideas should always spread very quickly, that's where perfection and refinement happen, with many minds.
I abhor selfishness of invention, what's the point of hording and not helping?

I'm not even sure my response is on topic....sorry
still distracted......

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

First off I aopreciate your reply. Secondly I think it ties in quite well. No worries there at all

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Interesting AND informative! Just how I like a good ATS read =)
Poor ol' Joe, never got his fifteen minutes of fame but he accomplished more than those damned Kardashians that's for sure lol

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

While I agree that reading books is great—my own personal library having just recently swallowed a third wall in my room—I think some personal discernment is necessary in deciding what to read. There are such things as hawksters, scam-artists, and conmen who really don't care about anything other than the buck. Such tiresome practices exist beyond the written word too.

It ultimately comes down to the sales pitch.

If the vendor can describe what is in his/her book, and do so without sounding like a crack pot who attempted to rewrite the Egyptian hieroglyphic language, then maybe their book is worth looking into. And there are plenty of very interesting theories on things out there which do build off of accepted archaeological, mathematical, or cosmological models. You don't have to go to crackpots to find interesting thoughts.

If, however, they're the kind of person who leads with a simple statement, like: "my book will change your life!" or "all of the secrets of everything are in this book!" then there's a safe bet that, unless the person selling the book is a tenured professor, or working at CERN, or employed by the leading mathematical universities, their book won't "change your life," or "answer everything."

Keeping a good head on your shoulders is most important when discerning the legitimacy of a product.

Also, concerning the pyramids, I'm of the mind that Jean-Pierre Houdin was probably the closest on the theory. Had the ancient Egyptians written a book on their process though, I'd have loved to read it!

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

I most certainly concor that discernment should be exercised when it comes to what to read or buy. as you said, it is basically all about the sales pitch.
I basically wrote this for those folks that tended to just scoff of it something, because the person just happened to mention their book. it is like their brains go dead and stop listening after the book has been mentioned.

thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot. Lol do you have a book about common sense?

new topics

top topics

join