It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA convention speaker advises parents to store guns in kids' rooms

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Arolexion

Pincus has been training for a very long time and this isnt the first "controversial" tactical opinion of his.

Instructors are a dime a dozen and each one has a different opinion.

While this occurred at the convention the title should read: "Rob Pincus advises parents to store guns in kid's room."

Here is Pincus' response in case it hasnt already been posted BTW:

During last weekend’s NRA Annual Meeting in Houston, I gave a presentation on home defense concepts. One of the the suggestions I offered was keeping a gun – locked securely in a quick-access safe – in your child’s room. Just in case. As you may have heard, my tip was picked up by members of the anti-gun media (yes, that’s redundant) and has been spun as advice that gun owners store their firearms in their children’s room . . .
Full response at TTAG

He isnt the only one who advocates the creation of a "safe" room nor the only one who advocates making that "safe" room the room of the most vulnerable person in your home whether it's a child, invalid or senior. Running to them makes more sense than them running to you.

And of course you can get into home layout and design or any number of other factors but that's not the point here. The point here is Pincus believes and teaches that if your home situation meets certain criteria making your child's room the "safe" room and storing a firearm (along with a phone, trauma kit, house key, etc..) in that same room is a viable option.
edit on 8-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

A lot of Americans seem to think there's an armed crazy man stalking their house and about to break in any moment, but this fear is irrational.

That’s an intentional and dramatic stretch, no?

While there isn’t an ‘armed crazy man stalking my house’ who is ‘about to break in any moment’, violent crime is a real threat. Even though violent crime has been on a steady decrease over the past decade, according to the FBI crime statistic there were an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes in 2011 in US.

Those aren’t numbers a rational person would flippantly dismiss.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm not putting my pistols in a stupid locked gun safe. When you are dealing with an intruder you need your piece NOW!!

I have learned the bark of my dogs that signal a threat and the first thing I do is grab my loaded pistol and shotgun, listen and wait.

Even though I am a long time NRA member; it currently seems to be infiltrated with fools who have more of a political/corporate agenda than representing me and my fellow gun owners.

I'm so glad I don't have kids and my GF is a much better shot than I'll ever be with her own pistol that I bought her for her birthday. God help the poor SOB that comes into our place uninvited with criminal intent.
edit on 8-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I honestly think you are pure liberal that follows Rachel Maddow word for word no questions asked

I hope the police respond and protect you if someone trys to assault you with a weapon.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They should be more concerned about the authorities illegally invading their home to find one teenager when they have a force of thousands and the money taken from all the taxpayers.

What a joke.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
I honestly think you are pure liberal that follows Rachel Maddow word for word no questions asked

Who me????

How did you draw that conclusion? Maybe you should read the thread and assess the situation before firing away! I don't think you'd make a responsible gun owner.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
NO NOT YOU. I was referring to that guy with the obama sign. I am a responsible gun owner, i'm sorry if accidently directed it at you

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
NO NOT YOU. I was referring to that guy with the obama sign. I am a responsible gun owner, i'm sorry if accidently directed it at you

OHHH!!
No worries!

There was nobody listed as 'reply to' so I assumed it was me since it's my OP. I got a good laugh anyway. I was wondering how anyone could draw that conclusion about me based on anything I've said.

edit on 8-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm more than a little concerned about the number of parents that have kids that cant be controlled enough to keep them from messing with the safe in the first place.
If your kid is that invasive you have issues that need to be addressed.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptAmerika
I'm more than a little concerned about the number of parents that have kids that cant be controlled enough to keep them from messing with the safe in the first place.
If your kid is that invasive you have issues that need to be addressed.

I think the speaker actually made a similar statement.

Touching the safe should be no different to your kids than touching an open flame; they should know better and realize there are serious consequences if they do it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Touching the safe should be no different to your kids than touching an open flame; they should know better and realize there are serious consequences if they do it.

I think parents are too PC at times.

Some....don't even let their kids look at the flame.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
The best thing to do when in your home is instead of hiding the guns that you intend on defending yourself with, keep them on you at all times.

My brother had my shotgun loaded, pointed at, and ready to shoot our neighbor in the chest when he decided to try to break into our house with a hatchet.

The police showed up in time, as my brother would've shot to kill if the dude got in our yard!

Shooting a guy in your yard even if he broke through the fence, you would face manslaughter. Now if he's in your house and has a hatchet in his hands then that's a different story and lethal force would probably be justified. However, sometimes even then it's not, they could still get you on manslaughter and say well how come you just didn't run away? The thing is you have to be cornered and your life or someone elses life has to be in imminent danger and there is no other choice. Waiting for the guy to break in would probably be manslaughter as well. You could of turned on the light and that probably would of scared him away. See there is so many things that the law looks at when it comes to things like self defense and lethal force. It's a tough gray area to deal with. I am sure you heard of stories of burglars breaking into homes falling and being injured and suing the home owners, which is absolutely ridiculous.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

Shooting a guy in your yard even if he broke through the fence, you would face manslaughter.

Now if he's in your house and has a hatchet in his hands then that's a different story and lethal force would probably be justified. However, sometimes even then it's not, they could still get you on manslaughter and say well how come you just didn't run away? The thing is you have to be cornered and your life or someone elses life has to be in imminent danger and there is no other choice.

Not in my state! There is a statute known as “criminal mischief in the nighttime” or something to that effect.

That’s a state issue not a federal one.

Waiting for the guy to break in would probably be manslaughter as well. You could of turned on the light and that probably would of scared him away. See there is so many things that the law looks at when it comes to things like self defense and lethal force. It's a tough gray area to deal with. I am sure you heard of stories of burglars breaking into homes falling and being injured and suing the home owners, which is absolutely ridiculous.

That type of BS lawsuit is only successful in anti-gun (anti-Liberty) states like CA. That stuff doesn’t fly in Texas and other states with common sense.

If someone is in my yard at night trying to open a window on my home or breaking into my car I’m well within my rights to shoot him…and I certainly will.

The moral of the story is…stay the hell away from my family and my property unless you’re invited.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The moral of the story is…stay the hell away from my family and my property unless you’re invited.

Damn right.

I live in a State where I have to drag the body back into the threshold........

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Damn right.

I live in a State where I have to drag the body back into the threshold........

Don’t do that!!

Just tell the authorities the perp used a racial or sexual slur against you. They might give you a medal and key to the city for ridding the world of another bad conservative.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Touche!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sean

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
The best thing to do when in your home is instead of hiding the guns that you intend on defending yourself with, keep them on you at all times.

My brother had my shotgun loaded, pointed at, and ready to shoot our neighbor in the chest when he decided to try to break into our house with a hatchet.

The police showed up in time, as my brother would've shot to kill if the dude got in our yard!

Shooting a guy in your yard even if he broke through the fence, you would face manslaughter. Now if he's in your house and has a hatchet in his hands then that's a different story and lethal force would probably be justified. However, sometimes even then it's not, they could still get you on manslaughter and say well how come you just didn't run away? The thing is you have to be cornered and your life or someone elses life has to be in imminent danger and there is no other choice. Waiting for the guy to break in would probably be manslaughter as well. You could of turned on the light and that probably would of scared him away. See there is so many things that the law looks at when it comes to things like self defense and lethal force. It's a tough gray area to deal with. I am sure you heard of stories of burglars breaking into homes falling and being injured and suing the home owners, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Have you ever heard of the Castle Law?

If you have a locked gated yard and someone wanders in who poses a threat to your life, you have full lawful right to shoot them dead or was the Cleveland City Detective lying to us?

The answer is no because the Castle Law is Law.

Oh and turning off the light when hatchet man knows we are in our living room because he saw us watching a movie with the lights on will do nothing!

I hope nobody breaks into your home or property with intent to kill because based on what you just posted, you will die!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

A lot of Americans seem to think there's an armed crazy man stalking their house and about to break in any moment, but this fear is irrational.

That’s an intentional and dramatic stretch, no?

While there isn’t an ‘armed crazy man stalking my house’ who is ‘about to break in any moment’, violent crime is a real threat. Even though violent crime has been on a steady decrease over the past decade, according to the FBI crime statistic there were an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes in 2011 in US.

Those aren’t numbers a rational person would flippantly dismiss.

No, but a rational person would understand that although there were an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes in the US in 2011, the population of the USA in 2011 was 311,591,917.

One million violent crimes, divided by 300 million people. And you also haven't clarified whether those violent crimes were gun related, whether they happened in the home, whether they resulted in serious injury or death...

Now you see the mathematical facts, can you not understand how irrational the specific fear of armed domestic intrusion actually is?

If you're going to use statistical data to prove a point, it's best to make sure it actually proves the point you want to make before you hand over the ammunition for it to be used to destroy your point

edit on 9-5-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

No, but a rational person would understand that although there were an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes in the US in 2011, the population of the USA in 2011 was 311,591,917. One million violent crimes, divided by 300 million people.

So what? There were still more than 1.2 million people victimized.

And you also haven't clarified whether those violent crimes were gun related, whether they happened in the home, whether they resulted in serious injury or death...

None of that matters. The attempted crime against me or my family need not be carried out with a gun or even occur at my home for me to respond with my gun.

Now you see the mathematical facts, can you not understand how irrational the specific fear of armed domestic intrusion actually is?

It's not about fear its about being prepared, and you've really proven nothing other than the fact that you don't 'think' violent crime can happen to you.

If you're going to use statistical data to prove a point, it's best to make sure it actually proves the point you want to make before you hand over the ammunition for it to be used to destroy your point

It did prove the point I was trying to make. 1.2 million people were the victim of a violent crime in 2011. That's a lot of victims. Dismissing something completely simply because you don't think it could happen to you is foolish. I'd bet those 1.2 million people thought it wouldn't happen to them, too.

We each only have one life. I value mine and the lives of my family members enough to take the small step of arming myself in the off chance I have to defend those lives. If you think that's being scared then so be it. I would argue you've likely never seen death and destruction because if you had you'd likely take life a little more seriously.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

When you say "a rational person", what you seem to mean is, "lets rationalize this data".

But at the end of the day....1.2mil people per year. Every year. The same pool of 311mil people, but each year 1.2mil of them will be victims. Not quite the same statistic when viewed from that angle.

In any event, why should your perception of risk be the perception I should live by?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join