It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Raid prevents possible domestic terrorism attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Found this article interesting, current and did not see it anywhere also on ATS.

It talks about a raid that the FBI ran on a mobile home this past Friday near Minneapolis.
The short version is that the attack was in the planning stages and molotov cocktails, suspected pipe bombs and firearms were recovered.

The details can be found here: www.philly.com...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
And we will soon probably find out that the FBI has been working 'undercover' with this terrorist cell, provided them with the materials, and no one was ever in danger.

edit on 6-5-2013 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The FBI believes "a terror attack was disrupted" when authorities arrested a man after they converged on a mobile home in western Minnesota that contained Molotov cocktail[color=91FFCF]s, suspected pipe bomb[color=91FFCF]s and firearm[color=91FFCF]s, the agency said Monday.
[color=828282]For the record: The following statement is directed at the FBI, and not the OP.
[align=center][color=91FFCF]Pics or it didn't happen.[/align]

If he had actually been in possession of 2 or more(of each): Molotav Cocktails, Pipe Bombs, and firearms, then why was he only charged with one count of possession of a firearm? Seems odd.

Buford Rogers, 24, was arrested Friday and charged with [color=91FFCF]one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He remains in federal custody and it is not clear if he has an attorney.

same link as OP
edit on 5/6/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

DING DING DING DING!!!
What this guy said.
I don't think there has ever been a "real" grassroots terrorism act inside the US since about mid 1700's.
Since then it has all been state sponsored / motivated / funded, Etc.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

The FBI believes "a terror attack was disrupted" when authorities arrested a man after they converged on a mobile home in western Minnesota that contained Molotov cocktail[color=91FFCF]s, suspected pipe bomb[color=91FFCF]s and firearm[color=91FFCF]s, the agency said Monday.
[color=828282]For the record: The following statement is directed at the FBI, and not the OP.
[align=center][color=91FFCF]Pics or it didn't happen.[/align]

If he had actually been in possession of 2 or more(of each): Molotav Cocktails, Pipe Bombs, and firearms, then why was he only charged with one count of possession of a firearm? Seems odd.

Buford Rogers, 24, was arrested Friday and charged with [color=91FFCF]one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. He remains in federal custody and it is not clear if he has an attorney.

same link as OP
edit on 5/6/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

Nice work.

Not surprising, since the FBI is involved.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

because bombs aren't a firearm, a gun is a firearm.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'd read this as well and they mention he had an "AKM Assault Rifle". Now I don't normally key on that as these days? A 10/22 is what some call an "assault rifle". Then I noticed in one story, they say 'he admitted to firing it twice' at a local range. Well.. Hmm... Why would that matter? A crime to shoot an Ak- these days?? So I looked it up.

If they weren't being loose with the terms, AKM isn't a civilian model but the select-fire model of the AK-47 Assault Rifle....and this IS the Assault version, in the proper use of the term.

That doesn't say he didn't get it in a sting or set-up, but it does give me pause to wonder if this could have been a lone nutcase with bad intent and looking for a place to carry it out?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

So you believe that he was charged with possession of weapons of mass destruction?

You would have thought they would have mentioned it along with the one charge that was listed.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Perhaps he just had all the components of molotov cocktails and pipe bombs. Like... empty liquor bottles, a jerry can of gasoline, some short lengths of pipe (the water inside might even smell funny).

They did say "Suspected Pipe Bombs", though... maybe there has to be analysis of contents and structure before that could be charged? Maybe the definition of pipe bomb is surprisingly specific.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The AKM was the modernized version of the AK47 that was issued beginning in 1959. It manufactured using steel stampings versus milled parts to cut production time and costs. These changes resulted in an improved product that could be mass produced more easily.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

Perhaps he just had all the components of molotov cocktails and pipe bombs. Like... empty liquor bottles, a jerry can of gasoline, some short lengths of pipe (the water inside might even smell funny).

They did say "Suspected Pipe Bombs", though... maybe there has to be analysis of contents and structure before that could be charged? Maybe the definition of pipe bomb is surprisingly specific.

Not quite enough to say that he had Molotov cocktails then....
I have a container with gasoline for my lawn mower, glass bottles and rags at my home. Do I have a stockpile of Molotov cocktails? (the answer is NO)
I gave you a star for making the point for us.

I have pipe nipples, threaded caps and smokeless powder at my home. Are there bombs at my home? (the answer is NO)
edit on 6-5-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Indeed... As I mentioned.. I'd looked it up and saw the history and distinction for the abbreviation as opposed to others more commonly seen and used. The primary feature I noted as being a highlight of that designation was the automatic fire capability. It takes some effort to find a site that isn't a blog or domestic dealer.

The AKM is a modernized AK-47. It is sometimes called AK-47M. ‘AKM’ stands for ‘Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovannyi’ or ‘modernized automatic Kalashnikov’. It weighs a lot less, has an improved rear sight and can be fitted with a bayonet or under barrel grenade launcher. The paratrooper version with foldable stock is called AKMS.

with more detail a but lower...

The Kalashnikov is well known to be rugged and reliable. The system used isn’t accurate, but works always. The AK has sights which adjust up to 800 meters (1000 for AKM), but the range is limited to 300m because of its ammunition. The AKM is a lot lighter and tends to ‘dance around in your arms’. This effect is by its shoulderstock, which is set under a lower elevation. Its low rate of fire makes the weapon controllable and reduces ammunition consummation. The AKM can be fitted with a silencer, which is surprisingly effective when used with subsonic ammunition, but it decreases its range dramatically.
Source

I guess that helps explain why they figure recording the fact he fired it twice, into the official record, was worth the effort. After all, who would care if he fired a standard gun show model 2 times or 2,000 times? He'd be like a few million other people, eh?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Semi auto only models of the AKM are what you see the majority of the time when you see an 'AK47' in civilian hands.

If it was truly an AK47 made before the 'M', it would have all of the original AK47 features, including a milled receiver and threaded barrel trunnion.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So, they found a guy in a trailer with a pipe bomb. Did they bother to canvas the immediate area of surrounding trailer's to see if this was out of place?

Terrorist plot? No. Misguided redneck fooling around with a bottle of moonshine and a wick, yes. I don't think that guy had a chance at the Sears Tower and I don't think he was plotting with Al Qaeda.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

Possibly, but I'd think they would have already mentioned that charge as well.

This may or may not be common elsewhere, but here in Redneckville, U.S.of A. I have read numerous times when people have been arrested, charged, and jailed for simply possessing some of the precursors used for making Meth.

I'm sure they have similar laws related to explosives, especially since they specifically named the 2 different types of bombs. If they did not find those 2 specific types, they should not have mentioned them. They should have stated something along the lines of 'Bomb-Making Materials' or 'Explosive Chemicals'.(or something similar)

reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Right. So why was there not even a mention of any additional charges?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

The problem is most people have "bomb making materials" in their home. There are perfectly reasonable illegitimate civilian uses for ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Well, I'm open to hearing if you have some inside information that says this specific man had a civilian version as opposed to what the articles and FBI statements say he has.

Otherwise...What are you talking about? I'm really kinda confused how not just topics need a devil's advocate to argue every aspect ..but individual posts seem to require it too.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Well, I'm open to hearing if you have some inside information that says this specific man had a civilian version as opposed to what the articles and FBI statements say he has.

Otherwise...What are you talking about? I'm really kinda confused how not just topics need a devil's advocate to argue every aspect ..but individual posts seem to require it too.

Well, let's see.
The government says that they stopped a terrorist attack that was being planned.
Where is the proof of that?
They initially said that he had pipe bombs and Molotov Cocktails.
He was just charged with possessing a firearm when he is a felon.

IF they found pipe bombs and Molotov Cocktails, why wasn't he charged for possessing those?

On the radio this morning, they reported that the govt found 'suspected' pipe bombs and Molotov Cocktails. What will we hear tomorrow? That he just had 'suspected' Molotov cocktails?
Then the next day it will go away? He just had a gun?

A gun that was called an AKM? Which is just the second generation AK, which dates from 1959. The AK's that pre-date it came in full auto versions too.

Just because the govt called it an AKM doesn't mean that it was a selective fire weapon..... That is what I was saying.

In the end, they will chalk it all up to 'bad reporting' by the news media, if my guess is right. Fact is that the govt released the news that they foiled a terrorist plot, but in 'real life', it seems that they arrested a convicted felon for owning a gun.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You could be right on that .... I guess I'm just growing weary of the knee-jerk questioning of every single arrest and action of a law enforcement officer, anywhere in the United States, on virtually any offense whatsoever.

It's almost like crime doesn't happen anymore, and nut cases simply don't exist but for the Government making new ones just to maintain job security. That's how silly and outright absurd it seems to get at times. If he had pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails? Well..Sounds like he's going down and precisely where he needs to be. If my neighbor were making such things, I'd stand out and applaud while they were perp walked out in cuffs.

The idea that some nut job could be making homemade bombs and there not be something horribly wrong with that would be to assume 2 things. First, they know what they're doing SO well, mistakes can't happen and blow out a neighbors house along with them when one does. Second, that they have the judgment we'd personally think should be there for when, how and upon whom to use them.

Well...then, everyone's opinion would differ on that last part, too...so probably better we just see those who would make such things, removed from society. By force, when needed.

top topics

join