It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid calls out cop for parking on sidewalk "I want your badge number" says 12-yr old Jeremy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Meh a simple parking violation big whoop. Look they are cops but it doesn't mean they can't break the law. # every single one of us break the law every single day. Let's see what are the laws I broke this morning.
1. Probably did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
2. Speeding...60 in a 55. 40 in a 35...and probably more.
3. Probably rode to close to someone on the interstate.
4. J walked - several times.

So as much as I commend the 12 year old this is just arrogant, not needed & petty. But I'm not going to say he shouldn't do it..more power to him.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

It's only recommended. Not enforced. Not only does your reading seem to have some holes, so does your eye sight. The last time I "watched" the video the cup wasn't in his hand while we was backing up and driving off.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Hound is right, they always start out small.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Meh a simple parking violation big whoop. Look they are cops but it doesn't mean they can't break the law. # every single one of us break the law every single day. Let's see what are the laws I broke this morning.

So as much as I commend the 12 year old this is just arrogant, not needed & petty. But I'm not going to say he shouldn't do it..more power to him.

if a cop pulled you over for each and every one of these, would you act like you could do these without any consequences. would you act like you could do these things and no one question your authority.

if you did you would get a ride down to the jail house and maybe get a unwanted overnight accommodation.

difference between some cops and civilian, is that they think they can do these things and no one should say other wise.

hell they even raise hell when a cop calls them on it.

edit on 6-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by parkwoods21
Calling out the Cops....like you think it's always a good thing. It makes you feel good about a 12 year old asking a cop a bunch of useless questions.

The cop looks like he is just getting a drink. It looks sunny and if its a recent video it's probably pretty hot where ever he is. Yes, its probably illegal to park on the sidewalk but last time I checked he wasn't hurting anyone. He was probably there for 5 minutes max. Just another video that will get more publicity for what is it because people like you are questioning everything police officers do like there is some sort of conspiracy.

This is PRECISELY what is wrong with Society today.
What if it was me that parked my motorcycle on the sidewalk? If I got a ticket for that, everyone in here would be in agreement that I deserved it.
Yet when a Police Officer does it - it's ok? There's no conspiracy here - Police Officers are SWORN to uphold the LAW - NOT break it.

There's a parking lot for a damn reason. It's where vehicles (4 wheeled and 2 wheeled) park. Not on the damn sidewalk. If you are ok with cops doing this, what else are you willing to turn a blind eye to? That's the scary part.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

I didn't know there was in echo in chat room forums. And what does it matter MY opinion on other things cops do? Obviously I don't see anything wrong with him annoying a 12 year old kid and his father or mother who coached him over a parking spot. Which in reality, all this comes down too.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

reply to post by zeeon

I didn't know there was in echo in chat room forums. And what does it matter MY opinion on other things cops do? Obviously I don't see anything wrong with him annoying a 12 year old kid and his father or mother who coached him over a parking spot. Which in reality, all this comes down too.

No, what it really comes down to is some peoples slavish worship of authority and making excuses for them breaking the law that ordinary citizens have to adhere to.

It's really not a difficult concept.
edit on 6-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by ZiggyMojo

Let us think about this. The kid is upset a police officer parked his "motorized vehicle" on the sidewalk. So firstly the kid is being coached. Second, besides the kid and the officer who does this affect in the grand scheme of the universe? Are you all getting b-hurt over this seriously? Third, there is no law in any state where a cop has to give you his badge number or even identify themself as a cop. Last, people need to stop making police officers villains. That is all everyone does on ATS. For every one bad video people post here crucifying the cops there are a million other videos not being recorded of them doing the right thing. It's kinda weird how people only have their phones ready to record "bad" things police do.
edit on 6-5-2013 by parkwoods21 because: (no reason given)

Oh... is the california cop butt hurt that his fellow officer got called on his abuse of authority granted him by the people???

If you think everyone is out to get the cops and point out the bad they do, maybe you shouldn't try defending their bad behavior and should instead remind your fellow officers that they are required to uphold and OBEY the laws they are given the authority to enforce.

Abuse of authority is WHY we are required as citizens to call fools on foolish behavior, and I know a power tripping fool is probably now foaming at the mouth that he can't trump some charges and throw me in jail right now. Good luck with that even if I were right in front of you...HAHAHAHA

Jaden

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

Well I guess if I am a cop, Jaden, can I get your full name and address please? For the same reason this kid asked the police officer for his. What are you going to do next Jaden? Follow a cop on the road and call 911 the moment they go over the speed by one mile?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I saw this on youtube front page

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Masterjaden

Well I guess if I am a cop, Jaden, can I get your full name and address please? For the same reason this kid asked the police officer for his. What are you going to do next Jaden? Follow a cop on the road and call 911 the moment they go over the speed by one mile?

Actually parkwoods21, if you were a cop.. You'd have no grounds or jurisdiction to ask for any of our names in a legal manner. Unless we're being implicated or suspected of a crime then we don't have to tell you squat. You have the right to ask us, but no grounds to REQUIRE it. Secondly, officers MUST identify themselves by name, rank and confirm their station if ASKED. The badge number bit is by department, BUT a badge with a visible id number should be visible at all times on uniformed police officers.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by parkwoods21

Staggering to me that you won't/can't see that what this officer did is ILLEGAL!!

Also, am I the only one that noticed multiple available parking spaces...OH NO!! The humanity!
I have to walk an extra 12 feet!!!

Insert sarcasm here...

Right is right and EVERYONE has the right to call 'em out...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

It's only recommended. Not enforced. Not only does your reading seem to have some holes, so does your eye sight. The last time I "watched" the video the cup wasn't in his hand while we was backing up and driving off.

So internal regulations are only recommended? Again, interesting. I wonder why they have them in the first place? I'm not surprised the cop didn't drive off with the drink in hand. A fat man like that has no problems downing 64 ounces of cola in 10 seconds.

CJ

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

Again there is no law, Federal or State, that says a cop has to identify him/herself. It is only required when pressing charges or questionings in some cases. Again this is affecting two people, the officer and the punk. That is 2 out of 7000000000. I find it funny people are getting upset over a possible parking violation and my opinion on this.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It is also recommended you don't eat before surgery, but it is not a law. Could there be consequences? Yes. You might get sick during or after the surgery. A cop only has to idenify him/herself for an administrative hearing, court trial, grand jury hearing, obtaining a warrant for a legal search, arrest or any other legal operation which requires them to swear and affirm the truthfulness of their actions or needs.
edit on 6-5-2013 by parkwoods21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation

When a cop makes one of these minor infractions it is also overlooked. A video of a cop rolling a stop sign or driving 5mph (or even 15-20) over the speed limit down the highway isn't interesting video.

What would have happened if the boy had his head down playing a game on his phone and walked right into the motorcycle parked on the sidewalk? He could have been easily crushed or burned by a hot tailpipe. This officer is a potential multi-million dollar liability for his city.

In my area private land that is designated for public use (sidewalk, parking lot at store) has public easement ordinances that have authority in court.

I do agree with some that maybe the kid was coached, but so what? There is a fine line between coaching and teaching. He is learning it is ok to not be afraid to challange authority and hold them accountable too. The real problem is with the arrogance and infalliability the cop has. Instead of just owning up to it and telling the kid maybe 'I need to keep a close eye on my bike through the door' or 'Yea you're right it's pretty dangerous to park here' he allows a situation that created a viral video and positivily reinforces this kid's behavior with a million hits and many threads like this.

Cops are not above the law, as much as they want to be sometimes. Videos like this can help remind them of that.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
While in the grand scheme of the bad things that SOME cops do this is really not a big deal. However, a majority of the posters in this thread are correct. It is hypocritical for us to write someone a ticket for something that we do ourselves. We also need to practice what we preach.

For example a couple of years ago I forgot to renew my tags. Boy I felt really stupid. I had to work three 12 hour shifts before I was able to renew them. During those three shifts I encountered several people that were driving on expired tags. I DID NOT WRITE THEM TICKETS. IMHO and the way I do things it just wouldn't sit right with me.

However on a side note. When the situations call for it we as police can speed, drive over curbs and park in places you are not supposed to park. That of course is justified by the call we are responding to. Parking on a sidewalk to get a drink IMO is not justification to commit the infraction.

The officer should have apologized to the kid and acknowledged that he was right. Then explain to him why he was doing what he was doing and then gave him his badge number. It's not like he would of been fired or even written up. Verbal counseling at most.

I will admit that it is quite annoying having the public question, film and anaylize every move we make. That's just part of the job though. It's kind of like a celebrity complaining about the paparazzi (kind of).

We need to practice what we preach plain and simple.
edit on 6-5-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: changed

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This kid does seem to know a lot about the law and he's speaking in terms that most 12 years wouldn't use, which leads me to wonder if his mom, dad, uncle, or aunt is a GOOD cop in this city and is sick of cops like the one in the video, so this GOOD cop is teaching little Jeremy the laws and terminologies so he has confidence when confronting and questioning BAD cops.
I'd like to believe there's a GOOD cop for every power tripping, egotistical, megalomaniac BAD cop out there. I have to believe that the GOOD cops are sick and tired of the BAD cops giving them all bad names.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
12 years old and calling the cop out...warms my heart...

I commend this kid for stepping up and questioning this police officers actions...

Thoughts ATS?

ETA: He never did give him his badge number....this video is going viral to..tsk tsk.
edit on 5/5/2013 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

Calling out the Cops....like you think it's always a good thing. It makes you feel good about a 12 year old asking a cop a bunch of useless questions.

The cop looks like he is just getting a drink. It looks sunny and if its a recent video it's probably pretty hot where ever he is. Yes, its probably illegal to park on the sidewalk but last time I checked he wasn't hurting anyone. He was probably there for 5 minutes max. Just another video that will get more publicity for what is it because people like you are questioning everything police officers do like there is some sort of conspiracy.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You make a whole lot of assumptions there!!!
YOU are assuming its hot because there is sunshine in the video.
YOU assume it was for 5 minutes max...like that is an excuse for a LEO to break the law.
And because the kid questions the cops actions, you jump to the conclusion that its a conspiracy!

I personally would love to know in what city this was filmed in.....I bet the chief of police will be interested in seeing how one of his officers responded to a 12 yr olds questions.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Las Vegas, and obviously nothing has happened because it is such a nonissue.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join