It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas House passes 12 firearms bills on 'gun day'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Texas House passes 12 firearms bills on 'gun day'

www.usatoday.com

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The Texas House approved a batch of bills Saturday to further soften gun laws that were already among the country's most firearms-friendly, allowing college students to carry handguns in class, putting potentially armed marshals in public schools and exempting the state from any future federal bans on assault rifles, high-capacity magazines or universal background checks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chron.com
www.kxan.com

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Now this is what I call good news,

I've also been thinking about the implications of having guns in school, and after some thinking, it actually seemed like a pretty good thing. More guns in school means you have plenty of people with guns to stop a person that had decided to go on a shooting spree in a school.

This is also a good turn from all the news about law-makers trying to make stricter gun laws. I was sick and tired of those.

I just hope we'll have more news like this.

www.usatoday.com

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

The site I work at is a community one in Texas. I must say, it's been a good time had by all (well, almost all) down there! I particularly agree with this.

I've also been thinking about the implications of having guns in school, and after some thinking, it actually seemed like a pretty good thing. More guns in school means you have plenty of people with guns to stop a person that had decided to go on a shooting spree in a school.

Gun free zones = Safe working environments for criminals and spree killers.

Criminals are already breaking the law by whatever they're up to in the first place. Violating a relatively secondary one by having a gun where it shouldn't be is hardly going to slow them down for an instant. All it does do is insure no one with GOOD intent is there to counter the evil intent. Kinda like the instructor at Virginia Tech who was a Holocaust survivor. He blocked the classroom door with his own body to give his students the ability to jump out a window. Some broke bones from the fall to the ground...but they lived. He didn't. He was shot and killed through the door he died keeping closed.

Something tells me, with that level of love and dedication to the students he protected? He'd have killed just as quickly as died ...and may have saved even more lives, if he'd ever had that choice to make.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
In this world of "relative freedom", it is nice to be in a place where we are more relatively free than most others.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

1. How many school shooting are there per year average?

2. How much will it cost to arm teachers and supply training?

3. Do you believe that those who commit acts such as mass murders at schools think that they're going to get away?

Guns in schools may 'limit' how many are killed or injured, but I doubt it will change the frequency.

What's really being accomplished? More guns in the schools, with an endless list of possible accidents or incidences resulting in the opposite of what is trying to be accomplished. Which I'd even go as far to say will out-weigh any actual occurrences of them being used properly. People going in to kill a bunch of kids at a school are probably already accepting that it's suicide, you're not preventing anything.

On the surface, guns in the hands of teachers I guess seems like a good idea. But in the end of the day, I still don't think it's the answer, or even close to it.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
We allow guns on college campuses in Utah too. I think since 2007, but I could be wrong..

Go ahead, show me a college shooting in Utah since 2007. I dare you!

ETA: Way to go, Texas!
edit on 4-5-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

I think you're misreading what I mean, and that's fine. I didn't elaborate much. I have on other threads in the past.

Very simply put, I don't agree with asking, let alone encouraging teachers (Or students..by the way... I'm 39yrs old and in College...with a CCW. I'd carry, if I could at times) to carry guns on campus. Not encourage. No.

What I think should happen is to allow those who already have passed the state background check and have already been through the training and whatever else is required to legally carry a firearm almost anywhere else....to carry it where they work and, in the case of teachers, ARE expected to protect their students if at all possible. Right now, we ask that of them while then telling them 'but you can't have any tools to protect them with...even if legally able to do so'. That isn't right.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I live in Texas and we had our schools on lock down twice in the last few months due to escaped prisoners once and some nut making threats to shoot up churches and schools. I have a grandchild in that school and our ISD has an armed officer but she cannot be in all campuses at one time. I think teachers should be able to be armed but it should be optional. I know I would worry less about him at school if there were some armed teachers.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Texas is just looking better and better. If I leave Florida, I am definitely moving to Texas. S&F OP.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

Now this is what I call good news,

This is also a good turn from all the news about law-makers trying to make stricter gun laws. I was sick and tired of those.

I just hope we'll have more news like this.

www.usatoday.com

College kids with guns. I don't know about this. It feels like this softening of gun laws is giving the NRA enough rope to hang itself.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

College kids with guns have already
gone through a gun safety class,
probably at the age of 10-12 in order
to get permission to hunt.

I had a gun in my car while I attended
both High School and College.

I took firearms safety and operation
class in College and got credit for it as well.

College adults and guns is a very good idea.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
These changes are not law yet. Sounds as if most changes will easily pass with the exception of the CHL permit students carrying on campus. There is opposition but one never knows how the voting it will stack up in the end after the deals are made.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by jiggerj

College kids with guns have already
gone through a gun safety class,
probably at the age of 10-12 in order
to get permission to hunt.

I had a gun in my car while I attended
both High School and College.

I took firearms safety and operation
class in College and got credit for it as well.

College adults and guns is a very good idea.

It's good to know that all college kids are as responsible as you. Actually, it's kind of frightening that you believe that.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

This is the first step for Texas taking back their sovereignty. Gun free zones were meant to instill a certain victim-hood in us, as parents and students. Putting the most defenseless parts of our population at the greatest risk of gun violence is just, well.... breathtakingly stupid or so sinister that the law abiding citizen could not comprehend it. I'm leaning towards both.

Make sure that your concealed weapons are native to Texas, because if they are not any laws that Texas passes allowing for guns in "Gun Free Zones" will be trumped by the Feds. Janet Reno's little commerce clause has withstood several Supreme rulings.

Might I suggest Texas also stop selling off their already paid for infrastructure, and stop with the friggin toll roads.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

jigger,

Funny picture....hysterical actually. But what makes you think that most college students can't differentiate between a harmless prank and deadly force?

*Note - I say "most" because you can't unilaterally say that everyone is on the same psychological level in understanding or balance, but that's EXACTLY why they passed this law. If I am an unbalanced college kid who comes unhinged and goes on a shooting spree, how far am I going to get with dozens of other ARMED college kids shooting back at me?

ETA - in regards to my first question...I am waiting on the responses that include examples of hazing deaths in colleges. yes, I have a response to that, but I will give you the benefit of bringing it up first.
edit on 5-5-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

What is the connection between these students playing a practical joke and mass murder? There is a huge difference in dumping water and pulling a trigger.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
can't wait for the reaction when good ole texas boys start getting shot to death...why is it assumed that if you carry a gun and use it, you'll be the one to survive??

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
reply to post by jiggerj

What is the connection between these students playing a practical joke and mass murder? There is a huge difference in dumping water and pulling a trigger.

I agree. If theyre smart enough to get in college, and are an adult, with a good track record of GUN SAFETY, then i see no correlation between a prank, and taking guns as no prank. I think a good safety video from a company not in connection with anything, at the start of every semester.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
can't wait for the reaction when good ole texas boys start getting shot to death...why is it assumed that if you carry a gun and use it, you'll be the one to survive??

Common sense? I doubt that any good ole Texas boys with a CCP and a gun will be shot to death. Folks that have their permit to carry have also been trained. Yep, common sense.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
reply to post by jiggerj

jigger,

Funny picture....hysterical actually. But what makes you think that most college students can't differentiate between a harmless prank and deadly force?

*Note - I say "most" because you can't unilaterally say that everyone is on the same psychological level in understanding or balance, but that's EXACTLY why they passed this law. If I am an unbalanced college kid who comes unhinged and goes on a shooting spree, how far am I going to get with dozens of other ARMED college kids shooting back at me?

ETA - in regards to my first question...I am waiting on the responses that include examples of hazing deaths in colleges. yes, I have a response to that, but I will give you the benefit of bringing it up first.
edit on 5-5-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

No need to delve into the ridiculous activities of college kids. The angle you're coming at this gun thing is that it will end mass shootings. Okay, that's a good thing. But, how many immature students get jealous over a girlfriend lost to another student? How many college kids get into fights? How many college kids get drunk beyond reason and are stupid enough to go waving their guns around? How many college kids get suicidal, but survive because there's no way to off themselves quickly? How many college kids get real angry with their teachers?

Hey, you have NO idea how wrong I want to be! But, I guess time will tell, eh?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join