It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need Jesus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
Worrying is a sin?

I have always looked at worry as the opposite of faith.

In other words, faith in things OTHER than God.

Below are two quotes about worrying:

"When I am consumed by my problems – stressed out by my life, my family, my job – I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God’s command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a “right” to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities.

Worry implies that we don’t quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what is happening in our lives.

Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.

Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it’s ok to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we’ve been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won’t be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God’s strength, our problems are small, indeed.

Why are we so quick to forget God? Who do we think we are?"

― Francis Chan [Crazy Love, chapter 2, pp 41-42]

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
When we bog ourselves down with worry about the world, we are actually separating ourselves from God. Keep this in mind as you sort through the fear-mongering on this website and in your daily lives.

Why is worrying a sin? It displays a lack of faith in the reality of God and in His ability to meet your needs, Rom. 14:23. Worry calls God a liar; it doubts His ability and it says “God is dead!”

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by backcase

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
Alright alright.

Now. Where in the bible does it state that "worry" is a sin?

This is really bothering me. As, I'm pretty sure if there's a God, that God made me - the worrying, caring, sensitive, sentimental optimist that I am. Where does it state that "worry" is something apart from that which God made?

Thanks,
Cirque

Worry is not a sin... that silliness comes from the doctrine of some fanatical church sect...

So worry not...

I say it is a sin because it fosters degeneration.

So... You believe its a good thing to scare people?

there is not a single verse in your book that says worry is a sin... I think you're being a little extreme...

Love is the path... worry is a natural product of doubt...

So do you scold the worrying person... or do you help them understand?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

by reason I see worrying as a sin.

Faith needs to be refined by the fire so it can become like pure gold.

Also I described why it is degenerative and it fosters mistrust in God.
edit on 073131p://666 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

by reason I see worrying as a sin.

Faith needs to be refined by the fire so it can become like pure gold.

Also I described why it is degenerative and it fosters mistrust in God.

Well that's fine if you prefer to make your own doctrine... Pretty sure theres rules against that though...

*shrug*

To each his own I suppose... can I assume you also preach about hell and damnation?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Okay so...

When I was nursing, I worried I didn't check on my patients enough - so I was always prowling, sticking my head in more than every fifteen minutes - saved a few people from falling, puking all over themselves - doing that kind of worrying. Nursing suited me - cause I'm a worrier!

As a mother -

I worry what I let them eat. I worry about what time they are going to bed. I worry whether or not they brushed their teeth. I worry about what I let them watch on TV. I worry I let them rough house together too much. I chalk that up as my job - I'm a mother.

But what you all are suggesting - is that my worry is testimony to my doubt in god? That I shouldn't worry - and when they get fat - it's not my fault, but god's will. That when they get a cavity - it's not my fault for not making sure they are brushing their teeth - it's god's will. That when they horse around and one pushes the other down - it's not my fault for intervening sooner - it's god's will.

That's interesting. To say the least.

Cirque

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Nothing I say is a new doctrine. Priests preach and do not have to just speak in verses of the gospels. What I said is in harmony with the gospel.

I do believe that hell exists. But I am not one to preach about it and damn people because I am not perfect.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

That is a different type of worrying than what I am speaking of. but it is good that you keep check of such things I suppose. I would not consider them as worrying based on what I know of as worry.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Nothing I say is a new doctrine. Priests preach and do not have to just speak in verses of the gospels. What I said is in harmony with the gospel.

I do believe that hell exists. But I am not one to preach about it and damn people because I am not perfect.

"Priests" do a lot of interesting things don't they...

Show the verse in the gospels that says worrying is a sin... if you don't mind?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I have put quotes where Jesus advises against it. Would you not consider the acts advised against by Jesus are sins? Because I do not think that Jesus calls anything a sin. but correct me if I am wrong about that.

Edit: I have known many holy priests. I am a member of the Catholic Church and I love the saints and priests that come out of it that are not corrupt.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
God doesn't care if you sin, you can slaughter thousands of people and as long as you repent you get to kiss his ass in heaven.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
God doesn't care if you sin, you can slaughter thousands of people and as long as you repent you get to kiss his ass in heaven.

If God allows you to repent.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

That is a different type of worrying than what I am speaking of. but it is good that you keep check of such things I suppose. I would not consider them as worrying based on what I know of as worry.

Okay. But that just confuses me more. At what point does my worrying become a sin? What's the definition of worry that equates to being sinful?

I don't kill, steal, cheat, or hate my neighbors. I'm not glutinous, I cast away envy, pride and lust whenever it stares me in the mirror. If I falter, I acknowledge my wrongs, and ask for the grace to forgive so that I can move onward and not repeat my mistakes. Auto correct. I do try to alleviate worry for others and self with prayer. I don't let others prey on my worry to convert me to hateful agendas. At what point does worry become something I'm going to burn in hell for? Because that's what sins are right? Something that gives you a ticket downward in the spiral of life....

Thanks,
Cirque

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by backcase

How do you claim to struggle with faith when you shoot down anything that goes against it? I have a hard time believing that personally.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I have put quotes where Jesus advises against it

Where they at?

Would you not consider the acts advised against by Jesus are sins? Because I do not think that Jesus calls anything a sin. but correct me if I am wrong about that.

There are allusions to "sinful" acts... Worrying isn't one of them...

I have known many holy priests. I am a member of the Catholic Church and I love the saints and priests that come out of it that are not corrupt.

sure... I didn't say all priests are corrupt... they're men just like anyone else...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

What we need is bullets, and lots of em. Man cannot forgive rotting apples and allow then to spread their rot through the entire bushel. They need to be thrown out. If there was ever a need for the culling of the human animal, it is now.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I would say that worrying does not get you into hell, but it delays the growth of your soul.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Your statement put me in the mind of Herbert's "Dune".

The human animal. "Let's just say, I suggest you are human, young Paul Atreides..."

I just watched that movie today. Probably why your statement brought it to mind...

Cirque

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ah very good!

Those are excellent quotes about Faith... believing and living in the now...

But what they do not say, is that worry is a sin...

Good try though...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
People are going to worry....even if you are a christian and it is NOT a sin. It's part of human nature. It's what you do with it that makes a difference.

I Peter 5:7 says..."Cast all your cares upon Him (Jesus) for He cares for you."

Jesus wants you to come to Him with all your problems, worries, concerns and anything else that upsets you. He's there to help you with anything that concerns you. For people to say that worrying is a sin is a false statement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join