It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Corruption in the heart of Virginia (HIT&RUN/DUI)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
This is another prime example of just how corrupt our justice system is. Anyone who has had a DUI, or knows someone who has had one, will tell you it is one of the most expensive, life altering offenses a person can commit.
Unless of course, you are a Sheriffs Deputy with all the right connections. Before I get into the meat of the story though, lets go over what the AVERAGE person has to look forward to the FIRST TIME they are found guilty of a DUI here in the good ol Commonwealth of Virgina

Fines/Court Cost
A first offense DUI in Virginia will result in a minimum fine amount of $250 plus court costs. You may also be held liable for for up to $1,000 for the cost of law enforcement and emergency personnel. Add to that the cost of an attorney (which you will definately want) substance abuse counseling (ASAP/CSAP) which is often required, and the increase in insurance due to SR22 Filing. As you can imagine, the total cost often run well into thousands of dollars.

Jail Time
The jail sentence for a first offense DUI in Virginia with a BAC (blood alcohol Content) of .08% up to .15% will be at the courts discretion. A BAC level of .15% up to .20% carry's a mandatory 5 day jail sentence. A BAC level of .20% or greater carry's a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 10-days. A first offense DUI in Virginia will result in a driver's license revocation period of 12 months. The courts may granted a restricted license during the 12 month revocation period.

Refusal of Chemical Test
A first offense DUI chemical test refusal in Virginia will result in a 12 month driver's license revocation period with no chance of being granted a restricted license.

SR22 Insurance Filing
Before your driver's license will be reinstate you will be required to complete an SR22 filing with the DMV. The Commonwealth of Virginia will require you to keep your SR22 insurance filing with them for a period of 3-years from the date that either you were issued a restricted license or from the date your license was fully reinstated, if you were not granted a restricted license.

Ignition Interlock
A first time offender who registered a BAC level of .15% or greater will be required to have an ignition interlock device for a period of time to be determined by the court once their revocation period has ended. Or as a requirement of being granted a restricted license. This is basically a breathalyzer unit that connects to the ignition of your vehicle. In order to start your car, you have to breath into the device. It also request random tests once the vehicle is in operation. Fail the test, and you car locks up until you have a technician reset the device, at which time you will be required to explain why the test was failed. BTW, something so innocent as Mouthwash, or even strong cologne can register a false positives. And if you were wondering, they don't offer this device or service to it for free.

Now keeping all that in mind, here is a local news story that explains what happens when a Sheriffs Deputy, who is also the son of the Virginia Beach Sheriff, a former state senator, and the nephew of Virginia Beach Chief Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney, is arrested for a Hit & Run DUI

hamptonroads.com...

Personally, having lost my father in a DUI accident at a young age, I find this kind of story absolutely DISGUSTING!
How these people can stand to look at themselves in the mirror is beyond me. These are the people who are paid OUR tax dollars to enforce and uphold the law with honesty and Integrity. And yet when one of their own is blatantly guilty, we see how quickly and drastically the rules can change. If it were up to me, everyone involved in this miscarriage would be brought up on charges. No probable cause for arrest? I had thought that a Drunk driver who hits another vehicle and leaves the scene would have been more than enough cause. And for any of us normal citizens, you can believe it certainly would have been. I guess the rules don't apply to those whose job it is to enforce them.

edit on 3-5-2013 by LucidFusion because: Typo

edit on 3-5-2013 by LucidFusion because: Fix link

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidFusion

You did a great job of explaining the DUI process and fees involved, but let me help you with the article because your link just took me to a list of news tabs.
m.hamptonroads.com.../?sectionId=3599&feedId=6064&articleId=8298551

A substitute General District Court judge this week acquitted a Chesapeake sheriff’s deputy of driving under the influence.

The judge on Tuesday found Kenneth W. Stolle Jr., 27, not guilty of drunken driving but convicted him of misdemeanor hit-and-run and fined him $250 after a trial, according to court records.

Stolle is the son of Virginia Beach Sheriff Ken Stolle, a former state senator, and the nephew of Virginia Beach Chief Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Colin Stolle. A retired judge heard the case, and an attorney from the Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office prosecuted it, to avoid a conflict of interest.

I love that! "to avoid a conflict of interest".

An officer responding to the scene saw Kenneth Stolle leaving and pulled him over two blocks away, according to the officer’s DUI worksheet, included in the court file.

Stolle’s clothing appeared normal, but he had watery eyes, smelled strongly of alcohol and swayed as he walked, and he refused to take a field sobriety test, according to the worksheet. The officer arrested him shortly before 10 p.m., and a subsequent breath test registered a 0.18 percent blood-alcohol content, according to a certificate in the court file.

Yep. Sounds drunk to me.

The prosecutor was not allowed to submit that certificate as evidence Tuesday because the judge ruled there was not probable cause for the arrest, Howie said.

Really? How convenient!

Stolle’s insurance covered the damage to the other driver’s vehicle, which was less than $500, Howie said. There were no injuries, according to the court record.

Yeah, this is corruption at its best. Watch him rise through the ranks and become chief in the future. Those researching his character will just see that he was in an accident. This news article will disappear so it can't be dredged up later.

edit on 3-5-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I read your whole post but when I tried to click on the story link it was kind of funky. It led me to some kind of page where I was supposed to decide from there where to go anyway.....

Would like to see the story.

That is how it goes, as sucky as it is. When you are connected you walk. When you can afford Wall Street lawyers you can burn the American public and rob them of trillions.

Some little guy with an ounce of weed, depending on the state, can do up to 10 years.

A black guy with a rock of crack can do the same if he has priors.

I have personally experienced the injustices within my family.

You don't mess with the State, they will destroy you first, take everything you own, and then incarcerate you.

It is not fair play.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Yep. Sucks.

Nice to be connected.

It is how it works.

Unfortunately.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I got a stupid dui not too long ago...2 drinks...big whoop...anyways I got sentenced to fines, alcohol meetings and a whole list of stupid hoops to jump through.

I ignored everything and they issued a warrant for me. Upon appearing in court the judge asked me why I didn't follow through with anything and I told her it was because I thought it was stupid for getting all that stuff for having 2 drinks.

She said that not following her rules was an automatic 22 days in jail and she tacked on 30 more just to be nice.

Well I turn myself into jail and they apparently are overbooked. After an hour and a half they signed my release forms...after marking it for 15 days served....they postdated it.

I also was given jail time in lieu of fines and all that other stuff so basically I got off with no consequences other than a little over an hour in the jail waiting room.

Cops aren't the only ones who beat the system.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Why not?

I told the law to basically shove it and walked away scott free. That is something to be proud of.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Yeah I was having trouble with the linking myself. This is the first thread I've actually started. Longtime lurker/poster though. Appreciate you linking it though. It seemed like a story ATS would be interested in. And seeing as its a local story to me, I figured what better way to get my first thread in.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Tried editing the link. It seems to be working for me now. I'm on an iPhone not PC though, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

You're welcome!
I wouldn't doubt if this officer will be drinking and driving again in the near future. People who get away with this stuff have their egos inflated further and their immature attitude will keep them believing that they can continue to break the law and get away with it, then they'll kill someone and find out they're wrong.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Why not?

I told the law to basically shove it and walked away scott free. That is something to be proud of.

Why exactly did the officer pull you over?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The difference being that you aren't family to a sheriff, a state senator, and a states attorney. In your case I'd say you got lucky or received lenient treatment.

It's another thing all together to receive what amounts to a slap on the wrist for a serious offense, based solely on who you are and who you have in your immediate family.

I think the evidence here shows clearly that this was a case of the latter...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The light on my license plate was out.

He asked if I had been drinking and I said yes, I had two drinks.

Blew .1 over the limit so he arrested me.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidFusion

The difference being that you aren't family to a sheriff, a state senator, and a states attorney. In your case I'd say you got lucky or received lenient treatment.

It's another thing all together to receive what amounts to a slap on the wrist for a serious offense, based solely on who you are and who you have in your immediate family.

I think the evidence here shows clearly that this was a case of the latter...

And how do you know this man didn't get lucky like I did?

Are you saying there's evidence that people pulled strings for him or are you just assuming that?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

So basically you didn't hit another vehicle, then leave the scene of said accident.

Apples and Oranges.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

The light on my license plate was out.

He asked if I had been drinking and I said yes, I had two drinks.

Blew .1 over the limit so he arrested me.

.1 OVER the legal limit?
You had more than two drinks. Besides, I've been a bartender and I've heard it stated and recommended repeatedly that if you get pulled over after drinking, you always admit to two drinks to appear truthful and responsible.

link   
[more

Listen little girl, you got lucky. You think you are cute and it is too bad you didn't learn a lesson. Next time, oh and there will be a next time, you may not get so lucky. Hopefully you don't hurt anyone. Drinking and driving is no joke and your cavalier manner lends me to believe that your troubles aren't over.

link   

Originally posted by LucidFusion

So basically you didn't hit another vehicle, then leave the scene of said accident.

Apples and Oranges.

Its not apples and oranges.

Your saying this man got off because of connections and I'm asking why you believe that.

Its your interpretation. Breaking the law is breaking the law, the actual crime is irrelevant.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

He also blew a .18. The guy was hammered and hit a car??? What are you trippin on?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Breaking the law is breaking the law

According to you, it's OK to break the law if you get off because the jail is too full.
By the way, you sound like Lindsay Lohan.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join