It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI has means of finding out content of your past phone calls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Video

What did the suspected widow ...

Transcript

Transcript

Intelligence community has 'assets'. They can use these assets to look up your past voice calls (digital communications). They can RE-LISTEN to past phone calls.. wow

"CLEMENTE: Well, on the national security side of the house, in the federal government, you know, we have assets. There are lots of assets at our disposal throughout the intelligence community and also not just domestically but overseas. Those assets allow us to gain information intelligence on things that we can't use ordinarily in a criminal investigation, but are used for major terrorism investigations or counter intelligence investigations."

"COSTELLO: You're not talking about voicemail, right? What are you talking about exactly?

CLEMENTE: I'm talking about all digital communications are -- there's a way to look at digital communications in the past. I can't go into detail of how that's done or what's done. But I can tell you that no digital communication is secure. So these communications will be found out. The conversation will be known.

It is just a question of whether or not Katherine Russell decides to own up to what was said prior to that information being known or after the fact. It will be unfortunate for her if she doesn't own up to it completely and fully because the facts of this case, the fact of her involvement in communication with her husband will be known."

No digital communication is secure!

Mod Note: Do not simply copy and paste material from an external source. Please copy only one or two paragraphs and then add your own thoughts/opinion on the piece.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Gemwolf because: Added ex tags and note

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
It's not really surprising. I'm not really bothered by it either considering I'm not a criminal.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Honestly, how is it that surprising to you? This has been a known fact for many many years now, shielded in secrecy yes but the information has been out there. They use it in court as evidence now, legally it is evidence seeing as it's your own words. They got all texts and mms as well, and I'm pretty sure they can access all your internet records as well. Think of all the possibly incriminating things you must've said over the phone/txt in even the past year alone.. all coming back to ya? Watch what you say yall.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by doesntmakesense

I get it. txt and internet are one thing. But what was said over the phone? Are they just recording everyone everywhere?? That's a ridiculuous amount of data..

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

As far as the calls go, they have whole buildings full of dedicated servers that collect pretty much every phone call (not sure if landlines can be tapped collectively, but calls from cell phones definitely get collected), and the same idea would go for the internet usage although it would be a MUCH more costly endeavor, unless they have to go out individually for them, in which case only costs a call to their local ISP.

oh, and 'keywords' is pretty much how they get new leads, for instance seeing who searched certain words or phrases into a search bar, or people who have accessed particular websites that they don't like for w/e reason.
edit on 2-5-2013 by doesntmakesense because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Not so much data really. What did you imagine the data center in Utah is all about? If it moves over fiber it gets stored because it is digital. My understanding is the gov believes it is not illegal search unless it gets looked at without a warrant..

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BayesLike
Not so much data really. What did you imagine the data center in Utah is all about? If it moves over fiber it gets stored because it is digital. My understanding is the gov believes it is not illegal search unless it gets looked at without a warrant..

No way man, nowadays they look at the data first and then use that as their reason for getting a warrant...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I work for one of the largest telecommunications company in the US. I can confirm this has been the case for the past 35 years. Yes they have been doing this for the past 35 years. Of course it takes a court order to pull the archives.

ETA: Every phone call made in the past 35 years has been recorded. Now with cell phones, keywords flag your recordings making it easier to pull your file. Every breath you have taken on a phone call has been archived.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Unmask The Deception because: ETA

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

It is just a question of whether or not Katherine Russell decides to own up to what was said prior to that information being known or after the fact. It will be unfortunate for her if she doesn't own up to it completely and fully because the facts of this case, the fact of her involvement in communication with her husband will be known.

That sounds like a bluff to me. Time will tell. If they let this kitty out of the bag people could go nuts!

P

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Everything is recorded . The capacities are there before general usage .

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Possibly! But they have never admitted it. Someone brings a recording into court and says we had no warrant but this is just from 'general' storage. We got a warrant to look it up.

Then Wow. Half the people will scream 'you recorded it without a warrant' and the other half will wake up and think, 'What! You record everything OMG, how can you do that!'

Doing and admitting are two different ducks.

Then the letters start pouring in. "Twenty two years ago I had the final phone call between me and my Pa. It was a long phone call. He died the next day. I want to hear his voice again. Be a kind Sir and send me a copy please. My phone no. at the time was 555 6785 6723. It was 5/5/2003 in the morning."

P

edit on 3/5/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/5/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by EternalThought
reply to post by doesntmakesense

I get it. txt and internet are one thing. But what was said over the phone? Are they just recording everyone everywhere?? That's a ridiculuous amount of data..

indeed, sounds like a ploy to intimidate
if proof of her complicity were on hand why not just use it?

sounds like Clemente is practicing anal ventriloquism

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
It's not really surprising. I'm not really bothered by it either considering I'm not a criminal.

Just wait until you find yourself in a situation that involves the law and the records they keep, regardless of what you may or may not be.

I don't consider myself a criminal either, but I found myself in a highly unpleasant situation with police, a person with a vendetta, and a faulty phone. This caused me an enormous amount of stress through no fault of my own, and having things you may have said or done (and maybe didn't) put under the microscope feels akin to mental rape.

Ultimately (without going into details of the ridiculous situation), once I got a decent lawyer, the agents of 'the law' disappeared as they could no longer rely on me not knowing my rights and wanting to do 'the right thing', and their little fishing expedition ended.

So yes, it's ok when you're sure it will never happen to you, but you may change your mind when you see how everything you have said and done can be used against you, regardless of guilt or innocence.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

"It is nearly within our grasp to computer on all human generated information"

"You are aware of the fact that somebody can know where you are at all times, because you carry a mobile device, even if that mobile device is turned off," he said. "You know this, I hope? Yes? Well, you should."

These quotes for those who don't feel like reading the linked article are from Ira "Gus" Hunt, CTO of the Central Intelligence Agency. As others have echoed every single shred of data you generate is stashed away at various places and kept for an indeterminate amount of time, as powers of computing increase its getting to the point that they can extrapolate useful information from this data-set in a useful amount of time.

As for the nonsense that "if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to hide" I implore everyone who honestly believes that to step up to the plate and place ALL of their private communications online, all your banking information and a log of every thing you do every day including the time of day you choose to relieve yourself....because after all you have nothing to hide right?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Good thing my Wife isn't FBI....

Or, is she?!?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I'm not really bothered by it either considering I'm not a criminal.

This is pure idiocy. The government could outlaw something tomorrow that you decide to protest or organize against and all of the sudden your a target of investigation.

top topics

join