It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo attorney dead in apparent suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
From RT:

RT - Guantanamo attorney dead in apparent suicide

From the article:

The location of Hart’s death has not been made public, though he left behind a suicide note and a USB storage device, which Truthout believed to contain his case files. The FBI was made aware of his death as Hart worked with sensitive information, though Truthout had not confirmed whether the agency would be investigating further into the matter.

This comes at a most curious time, given the hunger strike and President Obama's recent statement that he still wants to close the Gitmo facility.

From Salon.com

Salon - Gitmo Lawyer Found Dead in Apparent Suicide

From the article:

Hart was assigned by the government to defend Mohammed Rahim al-Afghani, who was detained by the CIA and allegedly subjected to torture methods until his transfer to Guantanamo in March 2008. The government maintained that al-Afghani was Osama bin Laden’s translator and a top al-Qaida official

Here's an interesting blog post on the subject matter. I'm not sure how solid this blog is, but one paragraph stuck out:

Will Congress Please Investigate Guantanamo Bay?

From the article:

But the weirdest news about Guantanamo came today. One of the public defenders there died from a gunshot to the head last week, information that was strangely withheld for days, and even now it seems no mainstream newspaper wants to touch this story. Most of the detainees, by the way, are 3-months into a hunger strike and teetering on death themselves. But this information about the lawyer was withheld for nearly a week, and even now, very little is being revealed about this troubling case

This apparently happened a week ago and has had scant coverage in the mainstream media.
edit on 2-5-2013 by PointDume because: Added sources and quotes

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It seems like a lot of people involved in high profile government projects are dying latly. Its kind of hard to not think there is some type of conspiracy going on.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Two lawyers dead in less than two weeks...??

One shot in the head...??

WTF is going on at Gitmo...

This needs to mainstream.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PointDume

The title says it all.....APPARENT

Yeah apparently....2 dead APPARENTLY from suicide.......APPARENTLY, come on guys......

Nothing stinks here, nothing at all.....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
It seems like a lot of people involved in high profile government projects are dying latly. Its kind of hard to not think there is some type of conspiracy going on.

I consider myself a skeptic first, but I see mounting evidence that something is amiss in relation to at least elements of our government. I don't think President Obama is the problem. I think his drone program is reprehensible. I think he did the right thing in regards to Iraq. He claims he wants to close the Gitmo detention facility down, which is, to my mind, the right side of the issue.

I don't have any solid evidence to back up my gut feeling; but my gut feeling is that there is a rogue element in our government which is responsible for many of the questionable events we see today.

The U.S. Federal government is enormous. 2.8 million individuals work in some capacity as part or full-time employees for the U.S. Federal government. If you included direct contractors, that number probably rises over 3 million.

I've managed small-to-medium sized groups of people. In any group of people larger than 20-25, factions and groups start to form.

If only .01% of the Federal workforce aligned themselves in a group antagonistic to the U.S. Consitution, that would mean there were 300 people working at cross-purposes to the American people.

If .1% of the Federal workforce engaged in similar activity, that would mean there were 3,000 people working at cross-purposes to the American people.

That's .01% and .1% not 1%.

300 people spread out among various agencies could do tremendous damage to the nation. They could bury terrorism investigations (Tamerlan Tsarnaev). They could stage suicides (Gitmo attorney #2).

This is all gross speculation. As I said, I have no hard evidence. But could a foreign government or an independent organization plant 300 conspirators among 3,000,000 people? This doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility to me at all.

I'm more inclined to believe something like this is going on, rather than some grand, top-down conspiracy. I just don't think politicians and the government are well-organized enough to maintain a top-down conspiracy. I also think it would be impossible to maintain secrecy among tens of thousands of people.

I do however think 300 highly-trained, ideologically-motivated insurgents could maintain secrecy for a period of time.

Originally posted by andy1972
Two lawyers dead in less than two weeks...?? One shot in the head...?? WTF is going on at Gitmo... This needs to mainstream.

I did not see a story on another Gitmo-related attorney dying. Do you have a link to a thread or article?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I wonder if they were wearing this contraption at the time???

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
Two lawyers dead in less than two weeks...??

One shot in the head...??

WTF is going on at Gitmo...

This needs to mainstream.

New bosses, new rules. They are bumping off people that don't fit a new agenda. The lawyers would rather die than deal with the justice system right now; it was something a courtroom could not solve.

The USB thing seems fake, mostly because USBs can be wiped. Look if a real lawyer wanted a truth out, guess what? He would use another lawyer where evidence can be secure.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I posted a thread on this earlier; didn't get much action. That is cool. Here is why it matters:

(Reuters) - Pretrial hearings in the Guantanamo war crimes tribunals have been delayed to address the mysterious disappearance of defense legal documents from Pentagon computers, military officials said on Thursday.

The defense lawyers said their confidential work documents began vanishing from Pentagon computers in February and that there was evidence their internal emails and internet searches had been monitored by third parties.

Link

Oh yeah, there is a whole lot more.

Just to give you a little insight to a criminal trial for those that either are indigent or have had their assets frozen; it works like this:

All your correspondence is read, all your phone calls are recorded, and in the case of these men in Guantanamo all of their communications with their lawyers are monitored. They have forced the defense lawyers to use government computers for their work product and communication between other attorneys that are representing other defendants.

They have no habeas corpus. Some have been sitting there without charges for over 10 years.

These guys are all on a hunger strike. They would rather die than go through anymore of this.

Do you blame them?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

They are people being so dirty down there. First of all they have been tortured and water boarded for YEARS. They won't allow them to have an adequate defense. They are sneaking and peaking in the defense lawyers briefcases?? WTF?? Do they have a case?? Bring it. But no, the chickenpoop government has dikk. So they have to cheat.

edit on 2-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Who is the guy in charge at gitmo?
That would be my number 1 suspect.
You see, the problem with gitmo isn't that it is a concentration camp, the problem is that they do not get enough convictions. This is why Obama isn't sending new victims there and is giving them to the federal courts. The courts do a much better job of putting these guys away.

Whatt does that mean to gitmo? The defense attorneys are doing their jobs too well. Why are these patriots defending 'terrorists' anyways? Lets kill them, thereby sending a clear message to their replacements we expect convictions.

Why not let it close down? Because gitmo is a failure. The commander there is not gonna be promoted unless he gets tthis ship sailing right. Gitmo has been a joke in regards of proficiency in meeting its goals...torturing, convicting, executing terrorists.
edit on 2-5-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator

I remember when Bill Clinton took office, a lot of people surrounding him started dropping like flies. It's a strange thing. Who can say why these things happen? Stress on the job? That's what they said of "Vince Foster" the White House council. But, it was Ron Brown who raised the alarm, crying out "If I go down, I'm taking everyone with me", just before he went down in a mysterious plane crash...with an even more mysterious bullet wound to the skull...Hmm..these things are all coincidence. But, they kind of look fishy, because they cluster in unusual ways unpredictable by statistics, if they were truly random. Death follows Power, the way a kitten follows around a parent cat. The parent is Power, and the children are Death. We see this all the time in the news. But, the mechanisms at work behind the scenes that make the wheels go around are all a mystery.We aren't supposed to know, or we aren't entitled to know, because, perhaps, it's all a matter of National Security.

We just see the leaves fall, and know it must be the end of summer. Winter is coming, and we must prepare for the cold and the damp.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
hey OP you spelt "arkencide" wrong
just sayin

I was listenIng to an advocacy lawyer on the beeb today
he said a " funny " thing:
the guilty are all back in afgahnistan and the other conflict countries and the innocent are still incarcerated

also we have:

THE SPECIFIC INDICTMENT of Bush Jr/Obama/CIA/US Military “Torture of 9/11 Prisoners” at GITMO—FINALLY CONFIRMED as a “WAR CRIME”-- Equivalent to Prosecuted Nazi War Crimes and the Torture/ Internship Of Japanese Americans During WWII
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

the NY Times story by Scott Shane, entitled, “U.S. Practiced Torture After 9/11, Non Partisan Review Concludes”. (posted earlier)
In this article, both Asa Hutchinson [Republican/Bush Jr Administration] and James R. Jones [Democrat, Congress] indict the interrogation and tortures committed by Presidents Clinton [Rendition], Bush Jr [full menu of tortures], Obama [Bush Jr in Black face

from my link above

clinton ?
like rendition?
its all a part of the same parcel

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Was he talking about Karzai?? Or his CIA bagmen?? Not real clear about the subject matter? Could you define?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Dude, seriously, that is your evidence? I will never say that Clinton was a saint, hell no. He was a covert in the bush crime family. From Mena to the White House. I believe there was always covert torture and black ops but it was not adopted as a policy. Big dif.

I don't see your point.
edit on 3-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

standard precedure.

Fake suicide and forged note.

Nothing to see here.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This country is disgusting. In 200 or 300 years (provided we're not all living in caves again by then) they're going to be teaching kids in schools about the shameful era of our history where we illegally imprisoned people and treated them so badly that they starved themselves to death rather than remain in that hellhole. The teachers can bundle that section and make a module about the concentration camps in Germany, how we locked up the Japanese during WWII, and our extermination of the Native Americans.

Americans though? Ah who cares. When's Dancing With the Retards on?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Very strange indeed. I was reading another thread on ATS www.abovetopsecret.com... that found a very disturbing list of individuals that are "committing suicide" or "mysteriously dying".

www.nachumlist.com... (credit to Pladuim for finding this)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Claiming to close down gitmo and not doing it doesn't mean anything. He said he wasn't going to sign the NDAA but did.

It's all a show just to kill opposition.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join