It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumer Reports finds more than half of the packages of raw ground meat tested positive for fecal b

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Consumer Reports Investigation

In our first-ever lab analysis of ground turkey bought at retail stores nationwide, more than half of the packages of raw ground meat and patties tested positive for fecal bacteria. Some samples harbored other germs, including salmonella and staphylococcus aureus, two of the leading causes of foodborne illness in the U.S. Overall, 90 percent of the samples had one or more of the five bacteria for which we tested.

Ground turkey labeled “no antibiotics,” “organic,” or “raised without antibiotics” was as likely to harbor bacteria as products without those claims. (After all, even meat from organic birds can pick up bacteria during slaughter or processing.) The good news is that bacteria on those products were much less likely to be antibiotic-­resistant superbugs.

The following stories were on ATS almost 2 years ago:
Turkey Meat Recalled Because of Salmonella

Flesh-Eating Disease Bug Common in US Beef, Chicken

Separate investigations showed half of the meat sold to consumers is contaminated. The USDA allows up to half of all meat to contain salmonella. And most plant aren't even inspected due to budgetary and manpower constraints.

Even after consistent reports of antibiotic resistant fecal bugs in the meats, we still refuse to make any changes to our lifestyle.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Seriously...the more this type of information is revealed...the more I am seriously considering becoming a vegan.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yeah, but most people cook their ground beef and turkey or whatever before eating it.

You get more poop from doorknobs and telephones than food.

Besides, what doesn't kill you makes your immune system stronger.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I have nothing against vegans...but I'm wondering if all of the fields that grow all of the vegetables are contaminant-free..........and also wondering how they would ensure that.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
and this is why we cook things....

You'd never eat anything, ever, if you looked at it under a microscope.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jansy

I have nothing against vegans...but I'm wondering if all of the fields that grow all of the vegetables are contaminant-free..........and also wondering how they would ensure that.

You bring up a very good point...how do we know that the soil does not have lead or arsenic in it?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I used to live next to a major irrigation canal for our area...I had to get into it once to rescue my (really STUPID) cat and almost couldn't stand myself until I got into the shower. People were always tossing crap into it - rocks, dirt, lawn chairs, shoes (not to mention the local kids who played (and who knows what else in it)...the thought that all that noxious, slimy green, chunky water was going to fields that produced food made me nauseous.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2013 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

It would depend on the levels of bacteria in the food regarding if it's a serious problem, I mean bugs are everywhere and so they should be otherwise we'd be as weak as the stuff they try to call milk these days.

This is the whole point of cooking your food properly and using it before it goes bad, it is not the bugs that is the problem but the waste left behind as they multiply... just like brewing alcohol really

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Many soil types contain arsenic. Often in low concentrations. Sometimes it gets into the water table and can be detrimental...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Bahaahahahah!!!

Average americans do not care what they eat. If they did care, we may see some real changes as people start growing food and raising their own animals. Of course the government is clamping down on farmers, because that leads to true freedom and independence.

I think you can take about any processed food, even from "organic" companies (like whole foods) and learn you're being lied to about what is in your food.

Everytime I see these stories I laugh, especially with the red dye used in about any red preserved food. Mmm.. Insect food coloring.

... And then these people who are eating this crap will be going to the doctors for health problems. It's a big money circle because people don't care what they eat - after all, the FDA will protect them!

top topics

join