It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Little Tweet and Wall Street/Whitehouse Shake Together.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So someone hacks AP, sends out a fake tweet that the White house came under attack, Obama was injured etc. What happens?

Wall Street almost falls into the toilet.

I can understand a little cause for concern from investors but look at the charts. It's almost as if Wall Street in its entirety is tied to the House of Obama. hmmmm???

Just thought it was interesting to see something like this happening within seconds of a false report. After looking at this, is it out of the realm of possibility to assume a total collapse of Wall Street if something serious were to happen to the Dear Leader? And if it's entirely possible, what does that say about the White House and Wall Street propping eachother up?

I know, I know...lots of ??? here but hey, it's ATS.

Peace

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The markets are very much tied to news reports. Especially day traders, which can buy a whole lot of shares in one stock because of positive news, depending on how many shares they buy, they can make a small fortune if the stock just goes up a few cents. They will then sell it before the price comes down, and this can only take a few minutes time.

As you have witnessed from this one incidence, the injury of the countries leader, can be devastating.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It was a little dip and it happened last week I believe. The whole thing its propped up on the Federal Reserve printing money anyway. If they stop it will drop for real.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarsInDust
reply to post by jude11

The markets are very much tied to news reports. Especially day traders, which can buy a whole lot of shares in one stock because of positive news, depending on how many shares they buy, they can make a small fortune if the stock just goes up a few cents. They will then sell it before the price comes down, and this can only take a few minutes time.

As you have witnessed from this one incidence, the injury of the countries leader, can be devastating.

Can't argue with that. And then we have insider trading allowed amongst those in the WH only a few days ago. Makes me wonder who is actually responsible for the hacking?

So here's my stock tip for everyone. The next time Obama farts, SELL then buy and SELL again!

Sad but true.

Peace

edit on 1-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

So I guess none of 'em thought it might be a good idea to get a second opinion....

Originally posted by jude11

It's almost as if Wall Street in its entirety is tied to the House of Obama. hmmmm???

Aside from what I have watched in movies, I know nothing about Wall Street, so this↓ is just a total guess.

Maybe their cause for concern was not so much about Obama, but rather because of the White House itself. Some may have immediately thought that it had begun in full force, and that the crap has finally hit the fan. World War III & Martial Law coming soon. "SELL TODAY!!!! nobody will buy tomorrow."

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I got a very VERY interesting explanation to what happened here when I'd next run into one of the economics instructors at the college. This was a situation of No Humans Involved, all the way around....for the most part. Computers literally reacted to computers.

I had no idea it worked like this but I absolutely hope it doesn't now. Trading/Broker computers have been set with sophisticated algorithms to scan specific sources for keywords and phrases. The number, weighted value and frequency or number appearing together, dictate action for buying or selling within the range programmed.

So... When some jackwagon sent that tweet, what the automated scanners read was "White House" "Explosions" "Obama" "Hurt". The computers didn't KNOW what it meant. We aren't that far yet, but look at how that forms for a keyword set in a basic scale of scoring words, then positive or negative assigned atop it.

It was literally comps reacting to comps because someone started a hacked computer tweet....and it went across one of the most monitored feeds in the world.

edit on 1-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

Quote:
As you have witnessed from this one incidence, the injury of the countries leader, can be devastating. End Quote:

With Uncle Joe next in line I would have panicked and sold too!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

In another thread I stated that it shows how fragile the World economies are.

Like yelling fire in a Movie Theater.

S&F

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

The markets are very much tied to news reports.
reply to post by StarsInDust

We see that a lot with the increase in the price of gas!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I got a very VERY interesting explanation to what happened here when I'd next run into one of the economics instructors at the college. This was a situation of No Humans Involved, all the way around....for the most part. Computers literally reacted to computers.

I had no idea it worked like this but I absolutely hope it doesn't now. Trading/Broker computers have been set with sophisticated algorithms to scan specific sources for keywords and phrases. The number, weighted value and frequency or number appearing together, dictate action for buying or selling within the range programmed.

So... When some jackwagon sent that tweet, what the automated scanners read was "White House" "Explosions" "Obama" "Hurt". The computers didn't KNOW what it meant. We aren't that far yet, but look at how that forms for a keyword set in a basic scale of scoring words, then positive or negative assigned atop it.

It was literally comps reacting to comps because someone started a hacked computer tweet....and it went across one of the most monitored feeds in the world.

This is exactly right.

There are automatic trading systems set up to buy and sell on certain "events" or "news" collected from several different sources. There is a "learning" program (a neural network bot) that is constantly refined to pick up on specific things that are considered important to trading. Once one of these events is triggered, it immediately buys or sells or both, and all of the other smaller systems that are tied to the bigger systems cascade, like a domino effect, and that's how you drop hundreds of points in minutes.

The stock market isn't the only system that does this. There are undetectable bots that scour the internet doing the same thing for alphabet agencies, including this site. They have a different criteria but basically work the same way. If you say the wrong things in the wrong places, you will get a knock at your door instead of a thinner wallet.

~Namaste

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
An interesting thing worth noting...

If you type in a search engine: "mongoose"

How does the search engine know if you're talking about the animal or the bike?

It doesn't...

So if the Twitter feed were to instead read:

"Jay-Z, who Obama thinks is the bomb ever after the recent explosion from the media about his trip to Cuba, is headed to the White House to throw a birthday blast for the President. Careful Mr. Obama, we wouldn't want you to get injured shaking your ass!"

Would that have set off the same alarm bells?
It should...

But if not, that tells you that whatever is watching the feeds can make sense of context, and that's scary... even Google with it's billions invested haven't been able to crack that nut. Then again, we are talking about banks and the finance center of the world...

~Namaste

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

So it is entirely possible for one hacker to bring it all down is what I'm reading here. Nice way to make a few million in minutes I'd say.

Peace

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This revelation is not to shine light on hackers or a massive cyber attack. That twitter account was hacked to show the public the truth.

Your stock market is managed with a strict algorithm that can bankrupt the entire US economy in 15 minutes. This algorithm is tied directly into social/news/media networking, yes the above poster with the green lantern avatar is on the right path.

The hacker proved this to you by sending out a fake news tweet indicating the white house was nuked, immediately before people could even respond to this news the DOW took a major hit and recovered.

The algorithm can be set for maximum profit with the results of a broken american economy, but for the past 4-6 years this algorithm was set to maintain balance.

Fema intends a nuclear bomb drill May 2-12th in areas of the States, Portsmouth, Denver....and D.C.

This means, if the words " White house Nuked" were to spread over the internet, our economy crashes in 15 minutes, it could crash or just simply go lower, I won't know until it happens.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

So it is entirely possible for one hacker to bring it all down is what I'm reading here. Nice way to make a few million in minutes I'd say.

That's exactly what I'm saying. At least, it was that way. I sincerely hope some of that has changed and what I was told was that it had. Although he also qualified that as saying the New York exchanges most likely altered those things ...and they are among a great many exchanges of all different kinds around the world.

It's a real scary and/or REAL pathetic thing when world markets can rise or fall in a matter of a 60-120 seconds because these idiots built what amounts to a dumb version of a financial Skynet.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
There are automatic trading systems set up to buy and sell on certain "events" or "news" collected from several different sources. There is a "learning" program (a neural network bot) that is constantly refined to pick up on specific things that are considered important to trading. Once one of these events is triggered, it immediately buys or sells or both, and all of the other smaller systems that are tied to the bigger systems cascade, like a domino effect, and that's how you drop hundreds of points in minutes.

I may be underinformed here (and please correct me if I am), but why would such an important system rely on a single news source? Was this information retweeted by additional news outlets? Also, there's the disturbing trend of media striving to report first rather than factually, with a lot of speculation thrown in. So why would the markets rely on such dubiousness? I would think the programmers and developers of such algorithms are highly intelligent problem solvers, taking all instances into account. So to then have such a flimsy connection to market altering "news" just doesn't make sense. And why would anyone, especially a national or global entity, rely on Twitter? That's just silly.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
For those that are not aware, this happened as a result of algorithmic robotrading and nothing more. If an actual person would have been overseeing these trades they would have never happened because the information would have been verified. Just one more reason that robotrading should be more closely monitored and regulated.
edit on 5/2/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join