It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Historical & Cultural Relevance Of Avatar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Perhaps you have seen the film some may have seen it broken down to It's basic components by others but not like this please take time to watch learn and enjoy. among the subject matter is weaving of Native American and African symbolism in the movie,why it brought discomfort for so many people example cheering for the Navi is equivalent cheering for the Iraqi

Navi leaders behind the blue faces
About the lecturer in the vid.

Anthony T. Browder is an author, publisher, cultural historian, artist and an educational consultant. He has lectured extensively throughout the United States, Mexico, Africa, Japan, and Europe, on topics pertaining to African and African American History and Culture.
aalbc.com...

edit on 30-4-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Ouryey outubeyey inkley rokebey.

Took me to some crazy hip hop vid! Is it the video in the article you linked?

edit on 30-4-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think people waste too much time worrying about movies.
Every person can interpret any movie or book differently from the next person.

I don't think it's worth dwelling too much on a fictional story.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
There is a simple truth in the movie easy to see if you have half of a brain. Obviously, that was the intent, to shake the so-called conventional, "consensus reality" most people accept without question. No need to over-explain it. Either you get it or you don't. (Most movie goers don't as they have remnants of socially taught religions hanging around their minds impeding progress.)

The simple truth is that everything is connected, everything. Science is showing us that more and more every day. Eventually, the day will come when to deny that fact will be recognized as the automatic evil ventured from the mind of man as the first conscious thought in a futile attempt to dominate (everything).

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I refuse to acknowledge a film that refers to a rare element as 'Unobtainium', as having any cultural relevance.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains
Ouryey outubeyey inkley rokebey.

Took me to some crazy hip hop vid! Is it the video in the article you linked?

edit on 30-4-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

I donno... the vid and link is ok on this side of the world..

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
I refuse to acknowledge a film that refers to a rare element as 'Unobtainium', as having any cultural relevance.

That's because you didn't study your other periodic table that's what you get for slacking off in class..

But seriously though check out the vid.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me if they did weave Native American and African culture into the Avatar culture.

Wouldn't that make it seem more real? They wouldn't weave our modern culture into it would they ancient/old cultures are almost a different world as they are. Why not put some elements into a fictional culture?

I can't watch the video also so if I'm missing something enlighten me

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Its really just the same theme used in countless numbers of movies and stories.

A powerful group imposing its will on a smaller group for whatever reason and the smaller group figthing and winning in the end.

Star Wars used the exact same story, only the details have changed.

Disney uses this theme in almost every single one of its movies.
edit on 7-5-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparta
It doesn't surprise me if they did weave Native American and African culture into the Avatar culture.

Wouldn't that make it seem more real? They wouldn't weave our modern culture into it would they ancient/old cultures are almost a different world as they are. Why not put some elements into a fictional culture?

I can't watch the video also so if I'm missing something enlighten me

Sorry about that Sparta well you have gotten the gist of it anyway,but it got into the language and how it's being used example the Navi who took-up arms are labeled terrorist ,blue monkey,savages then there was a scene where the Lt colonel threatened to blast a hole so deep in the psyche of the Navi that non will come near that place for a thousand years, in reference to the destruction of their most holiest of places,but what's also interesting in that scene were a group of Black military types bellowing hooyaa!!,not seeing the the irony of what was done to their own ancestors by charter companies like the English Royal African Company, which held a monopoly on African slaving,The Dutch East India Company, Danish West India Company, Compagnie du Mississippi and so on,the same pattern of infiltration this time instead of missionaries we have teachers backed-up by mercenary armies,a similar situation exist in places like the middle east today where the war for oil is being waged companies like Halliburton are just raking in profits and national armies are being replaced by private armies like Black Water.
edit on 8-5-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join