It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first all-plastic 3D-printed gun will be available to download in ‘two weeks’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CommandoJoe

Joe,

While I do not know the exact statutes and etc in play, it is actually spelled out in the FAQ's on ATF's Own page that while it's perfectly legal to build a non serialized firearm it is not at all legal to transfer them. Further though the ATF has very specific guidelines on what makes you by their legal definition a manufacturer and the pursuant guidelines by which you must operate within.

These laws pretty plainly state that just putting a serial number on a firearm is not enough to comply with existing federal regulations, and there are NOT exemptions in place for home built or small batch firearms projects which means you must comply with the full suite of laws that any other manufacturer must comply with.

Now if you want to get into loopholes and grey areas in the whole homebuilt firearm game... there are things referred to as build parties that many different people throw all over the country. At many of these parties you can even participate in a group buy of all the parts you will need to build your new firearm, and by ordering as a group you generally save money over retail price on small orders. In addition to this at most build parties there are people with lots of expertise and experience that can help you through every step of the process of manufacturing your receiver or finishing an 80% complete receiver you've purchased elsewhere. At a couple build parties where there is access to high end cad/cam mills and the like you can show up with your money to pay for your materials and when it's your turn the machine owner will guide you through the process of securing your piece of metal in the Computer operated machine and then walk you over to the computer that controls it and have you hit enter to start the machine running the program that will end with a nearly complete receiver! Because you hit the Enter button on the computer to start the process it is completely legal and no one is breaking any laws.

Now what you should take away from this though is it's a VERY big deal in the eyes of the ATF that if you possess a homebuilt nonserialized firearm that you yourself did the work to make it! Otherwise people could just hire people to slap their kits together and circumvent the background check as well as make it very hard for ATF to track how many firearms were in civilian hands!

So in essence the laws are written to make it so that your avergae person is not supposed to really have the ability to do builds like this economically! However technology has caught up and eclipsed the bill to a point now where it is not only economical, but in some cases much cheaper to acquire firearms this way.

This is why you are seeing such a major propaganda push against 3d printers and etc... the 3d printers are in effect a strawman however. They are really much more concerned about affordable desktop CNC machines which have come down in price substantially and now make home manufacturing of firearms well within the abilities of much of the populace.

Because of this you are seeing the push to "revamp" the laws around home builds as well as calls to limit access to technical information of firearms and most importantly the recent executive action that when filed will give the attorney general and ATF the ability to completely cut off the flow of imported parts kits for things like AK variants which will create a situation where it will no longer be economically viable to build them from parts kits!

However you would have to be a fool to believe this has anything to do with public safety! What this really has to do with is:
1: Increasing the cost of firearms and ammunition to a point that drives many people out of the sport, especially people with lower incomes!
2. Dry up people's ability to acquire firearms that are not easily traceable... (reference ATF's Recent request for a massive database to track the american public and collate data from multiple sources... this proposal would not only create a de facto national firearms registration database but would also track the vast majority of all sales of gun parts ammunition and more)
3. Stifle innovation from the public at large and small to medium businesses in particular. These technologies have created a situation where for the first time in decades a garage manufacturing operation can compete with big names like colt and FN herstal on every level from pricing to quality to the ability to rapidly develop and field new products when a consumer niche is identified! In other words this is yet another example of thinly disguised corporate welfare!

In essence all of this hooplah is specifically designed to turn people against the things that at one time made this country great!

P.s: In business it is recognized that monopolies breed abuse! so how is allowing government a monopoly of force any different?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
and it is here

www.extremetech.com...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
why do people try everything in their power, to undermine their own constitution

yes you can bear arms....but where does it say you can freely send dangerous weapons to every tom dick and harry via a download online?

just calm down, and put your energies into something better

ahh well....for all the future victims of this bs... i tried to say something

peace

edit on 7-5-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I want to remind everyone that any gun that can't be detected by a metal detector is illegal.

Federal law for about 25 years now. Thanks Reagan!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
I want to remind everyone that any gun that can't be detected by a metal detector is illegal.

Federal law for about 25 years now. Thanks Reagan!

but dont they all have a metal pin.... the part that strikes the bullet

i guess it doesnt take much to make a non metal part.... also arent the bullets metal?

so thats the pin and the bullet that could be detected

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

It depends on the type of metal detector.

The gun that was shown in this thread had a metal rod in the handle to comply with federal law. However, the metal road is 'additional' and anyone who prints the gun may not adhere to this.

Source

Blueprints for "the Liberator" call for an additional that doesn't come from a 3D printer because a metal rod is needed to ensure that the firearms could be picked up by metal detectors in order to comply with the Undetected Firearms Act.

Additional source

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.

Fifteen of those are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law. The firing pin is also not made of plastic, though it is easily crafted from a metal nail.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ok...moving the post here...

Print your own Gun. Background check not required

from
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As fast as the government plots false flag schemes to get new gun laws to remove the guns from the people, technology is changing rapidly under their feet. So fast, that all gun laws are about to become irrelevant.

Print your own Gun.

www.cbsnews.com...

Using a 3D Printer it is now possible to print the 3D image of a gun, assemble it, and fire it, all without a visit to your local gun store.

No background checks. No waiting period. No serial number to track. No firing mark characteristics for forensics to trace back the bullet to the gun used. Simply melt the gun back into the original plastic, and the evidence of weapon vanishes.

A gun can be created in a few minutes, used, and then destroyed in less than a minute, leaving no evidence of there even being a gun in the first place.

news.bbcimg.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Instant gun.

Print it on your printer, the same way you print a photograph today.

You can print a picture, look at it, and then tear it up, or shred it.

Same with the gun.

Your neighbor annoys you? Just print a gun, run into his house, shoot him, and shred the gun.

Now I'm not suggesting anyone actually do this. But, you get the point.

The "paradigm" is shifting.

The idea that there is this thing called a gun, that is a solid and permanent physical object, that you can find, say hidden in the garbage, after the gun crime, is all history.

Nobody is going to buy a gun, if they can just print it for free at home.

As this 3D printing technology improves, people will be able to download the blueprints for the gun of choice from the internet, print it in the comfort of their own home, and avoid all background checks, and waiting periods.

That's a game changer.

No wonder they are trying to ban "black powder" i.e. "gunpowder". They know the game of the gun law is over.

Now they have to go after the "juice" that makes guns work instead.

I should mention too, that while this is "plastic" it works, and more importantly "metal 3D printers" are on the way.

Downloads for 3D-printed Liberator gun reach 100,000

www.bbc.co.uk...

things are moving quickly...

edit on 9-5-2013 by SQUEALER because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2013 by SQUEALER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

State Department takes down blueprints for 3D-printable handgun

The State Department on Thursday ordered the nonprofit Defense Distributed to remove blueprints for the world’s first 3D-printed gun from its website.

“All such data should be removed from public access, the letter says. That might be an impossible standard. But we’ll do our part to remove it from our servers,” Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson told Forbes.

The department’s Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance warned Wilson that posting the materials online could be a violation of export controls. The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) prohibits weapons manufactures from exporting technical data to foreign persons without authorization from the State Department.

link

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
AND...................It's gone

DEFCAD files are being removed from public access at the request of the US Department of Defense Trade Controls. Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.

defcad.org...

I know there were and are tons of places to get this now. I haven't done any further searches to see if other places that posted it have the same notice. The link I've posted has been up and down.

There's also Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer from fox as well.

Not really sure exactly what to think of the whole issue, but people do realize that with less than $10,000 worth of decent but used metal working equipment (a used lathe and a used C&C is probably all it would take to make a pretty damn decent weapon) right?

I'll leave to all the others to discuss 2nd Amendment implications of the take down, I'd just like to throw out the First Amendment consideration. This is a suppression of speech, in my opinion.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfHart
Great find OP.

Now that it is possible to "print" any type of firearm, the only thing that is missing..

Yet another example of people who think 3D printers are far more profound than they really are. It is NOT possible now to print any type of firearm, that's totally false and I don't see why people keep saying stuff like that. 3D printers are pretty limited with regards to firearms due to the material strength of the printed parts. You may be able to make a gun that pops off a few rounds before blowing your hand off, but you are not going to make any sort of accurate, reliable, or powerful gun with a 3D printer. That leaves zip guns as the only thing you can make with a 3D printer, which are a type of gun that you do not need a 3D printer to make.

Really the only acceptable firearm that could be made with a 3D printer is making the lower on the 3D printer and then buying the rest of the required parts over the counter, as they are not regulated at all like the lower is. Going this route, you are still going to be spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the other parts.

The idea that so many people apparently have, where you can just press a button and print out a gun that will be anywhere close to what you could buy over the counter, is flat out false. Either you make a janky cheap gun which is more dangerous to you than other, or you make only the lower and basically build a gun from scratch anyway, so the advantage of the 3D printer kind of disappears.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
why do people try everything in their power, to undermine their own constitution

yes you can bear arms....but where does it say you can freely send dangerous weapons to every tom dick and harry via a download online?

just calm down, and put your energies into something better

ahh well....for all the future victims of this bs... i tried to say something

peace

edit on 7-5-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

What on Earth are you talking about?

How could you possibly consider exercising the rights granted to us by the constitution, as undermining that constitution? That doesn't make any sense at all. Undermining the constitution would be what you are doing, trying to stifle people's desire and/or ability to exercise their rights under the guise of "protecting the children" (you say future victims, might as well make them children to get a few more crying points for you)

Please pay attention to the subject matter here, because you don't seem to understand what's going on.

Nobody is sending dangerous weapons anywhere. You cannot download a gun. They are transferring the information on how to build that gun. Transferring the information to build a gun is what an engineer does when he mails his CAD files to someone. Transferring the information to build a gun has been going on a long time, before 3D printers, and before the internet.

You are overestimating the usefulness of this technology, like nearly everyone else here is. Assuming you have the access to a 3d printer, and the knowledge to actually use it, it would be a nice thing to have. But what you are NOT going to do is simply press a button and have a useful functional firearm appear in front of you.

Even if you could simply press a button and have a quality functioning gun right in front of you, how is that any different than the current way things work? If I want a gun, I can simply go buy one from a private party. I give them cash, they give me the gun, no background checks, nobody knows I bought the gun. So how is someone printing a gun any worse than that? Both ways feature someone expending resources and effort in return for a gun that nobody knows they have.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SQUEALER

Your neighbor annoys you? Just print a gun, run into his house, shoot him, and shred the gun.

Now I'm not suggesting anyone actually do this. But, you get the point.

The "paradigm" is shifting.

The idea that there is this thing called a gun, that is a solid and permanent physical object, that you can find, say hidden in the garbage, after the gun crime, is all history.

Nobody is going to buy a gun, if they can just print it for free at home.

As this 3D printing technology improves, people will be able to download the blueprints for the gun of choice from the internet, print it in the comfort of their own home, and avoid all background checks, and waiting periods.

That's a game changer.

I am still in awe that so many people are so far off base with this whole 3D printed gun thing. Please, pretty please, just use your heads people. Think. Please, I beg you.

Your first example was utterly ridiculous. You really think the reason people don't kill everyone that annoys them is because they don't have the means to do so? Would you become a mass murderer and kill everyone that pissed you off if you had access to 3d printed guns? Do you really think the gun being a 3d printed model is going to have any effect on your ability to get away with the crime? It won't.

A gun has never been a permanent solid object in the way you describe it. A pistol could be destroyed and made useless to the police as evidence in a few minutes. Run a drill down the barrel, toss the firing pin, extractor, and ejector out your window. Those pieces are tiny parts, they would never be found. Now throw everything else in the river. The barrel's rifling would be destroyed, impossible to match to any bullets recovered. There would be no extractor, ejector, or firing pin to match to any shell casing. That gun is a ghost just like a plastic gun that was melted down or whatever.

You say nobody will buy a gun when you can print one. Complete utter BS once again. You don't seem to realize 3D printers are a looooooong way off from being able to print anything like a standard commercial firearm. The vast majority of people would still buy guns, because they would be far more powerful, durable, reliable, safe.. you get the idea. Before 3D printers it was pretty damn ease to make zip guns that are just as useful as 3d printed guns, yet people still purchased guns, and zip guns were only made in tiny numbers by a few people.

You then say as the tech improves people can simply print a gun with no background checks or anything. Ok.... so what? You know what's even easier than buying a 3d printer, figuring out how to use it, paying for the materials, then tracking down plans, then printing it out? Just buying one. Any adult in America who isn't a felon can legally purchase guns without a single bit of paperwork, background check, or even the names of the persons involved. So how are 3d printers going to make a drastic change when the thing you are so scared of happening, is already happening right now? And was happening before 3d printers were even imagined?

This is no more a game changer than being able to buy steel pipe at the store was a game changer for firearms manufacture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join