It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China launches new earth observation spy satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

China successfully sent high-definition earth observation satellite "Gaofen-1" into space at 12:13 p.m. Beijing time on Friday, announced the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND).

The mission was carried by a Long March-2D carrier rocket from northwest China's Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center. The rocket also carried three small satellites made by Ecuador, Argentina and Turkey as well as two satellite splitters from the Netherlands.

It is also the 19th launch of a Long March-2D, and the 175th of the Long March rocket series.

Developed by the China Academy of Space Technology, Gaofen-1 is the first of five or six satellites to be launched for the high-definition earth observation system (HDEOS) between 2011 and 2016.

4/28/2013
China launches new spy satellite
www.alalam.ir...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by grimghost

I appreciate you bringing this information to light...but your link is in Chinese...would you please provide a link in English...thank you!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Here is one site I found.
satellite.tmcnet.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
reply to post by caladonea

Here is one site I found.
satellite.tmcnet.com...

Thank you! That link really helps. I wanted to know their reasons for the satellite; and the article does give some; but I just have to wonder...are the reasons given...really all of the reasons?

I am just wondering; what hidden agendas might they have?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I wanted to know their reasons for the satellite; and the article does give some; but I just have to wonder...are the reasons given...really all of the reasons?

I am just wondering; what hidden agendas might they have?

The only real reason?

Spying....

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
All I want to know is:

"WTF, are they CRT monitors?"

I'm sure many countries have earth observation satellites. Congrats on China for joining the program.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Reasons? Uses?
Probable the same that every other nation's satellites, part for science, part for business and part military.
If it was a spy satellite it is unlikely that we'd know.
edit on 29/4/2013 by drakus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
All I want to know is:

"WTF, are they CRT monitors?"

I'm sure many countries have earth observation satellites. Congrats on China for joining the program.

Considering China already has over 100 satellites of one form or another in space then really doubt they are just "joining the program"
At the moment they are one of the few countries that have the capability to put payloads into earth orbit, not many countries can claim that.

new topics

top topics

join