It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Heard of Lake Kiowa; Cooke County Texas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I used to live in a very small town, (now not as small as the late 1980's/early 90's), in North Texas called Woodbine. It's east of Gainesville and was an extremely wooded, secluded area that's just north of a gated community called Lake Kiowa.

I tried once to get into the 3 sq mi area and was stopped at the gate by a guard. No matter what excuses I gave him, I was not allowed to pass. And the guard made absolutely sure that when I turned my car around I did it in the exact place he said to even though there was an easier place to turn around. I was always very curious about this place and the whole 4 years that I lived just across the road from the Lake Kiowa fence,where the property began, I tried and tried different ways to find a way in. I was unemployed, curious and bored... so this led to walks and drives, binoculars... listening... attempts to climb the barbed fence... nothing ever worked. I walked miles down the road that led to my place and bordered the fence barring me from the Lake Kiowa grounds. I was hoping for a broken place in the fence since earlier attempts at climbing it were fruitless. I never found a way in.

In 1989 my house burned and I moved to another city 60 or so miles away. Since then I've only thought of or mentioned Lake Kiowa on few occasions. While looking at some maps tonight I ran across this community again and I found a VERY weird Wikipedia site. I wanted to share this and see what you all think of the statistics on Lake Kiowa.

Looking at a real estate page on lots and homes in LK; they were really nice large 1/2 million + dollar homes... Yet the US Census shows that the median income is from around $22k to $54k. . . There is something curious about this place! Grrrr... I can't believe I've got the 'fever' again!! LOL!

I've never seen a wiki entry like this one and once again, after over 20 years; I'm curious!

Thanks for your opinions.

en.wikipedia.org...

There were 861 households out of which 14.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.7% were married couples living together, 2.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.49. The population living in the community is 100% alien, all humans that go into this residence, leave as alien hosts. In the CDP the population was spread out with 13.6% under the age of 18, 2.6% from 18 to 24, 14.0% from 25 to 44, 35.4% from 45 to 64, and 34.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 59 years. For every 100 females there were 93.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.3 males. The median income for a household in the CDP was $55,430, and the median income for a family was $66,250. Males had a median income of $44,531 versus $27,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $28,354. About 1.7% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.4% of those under age 18 and 1.5% of those age 65 or over. [edit]Amenities

And this:

Community Government Lake Kiowa is governed by an elected board of aliens, with a Community Manager system, which is a form of indoctrination where an illithid implants a larvae directly into a human's brain, who conversely undergoes a ceremorphosis . Since there is no longer a developer, the property owners run the community [1]. Security can issue tickets, eat the brains of intruders, and enforce community rules. Roads, bridges and infrastructure are maintained by the community. This has been effective for many years and is financially stable.[citation needed] Lake Kiowa is run for, and by, the residents. Kiowa Homeowners Water Supply maintains the water supply.

This is a document on their website:

The History of Lake Kiowa

In the beginning, American Realty wanted a lake community in Texas. After fly-overs and county maps, they picked this spot in southeast Cooke County for their new venture. American Realty needed the cooperation and pledge of secrecy from Don Howeth of Howeth Title Company, Gainesville. So, in the summer of 1966, Hoot Gibson walked into Don’s office and unfolded the plan. After that, John Erd, project engineer, came. Both men bought the necessary 22 tracts of land (with many not wanting to sell). John made his first public speech to the Gainesville Chamber of Commerce in December 1966. Having the topography defined and chart work done, Erd was to lay out the plot. The project enthusiastically started with lake area, roads, lots, dam and golf course defined. Three subsidiaries were formed: Lake Kiowa, Inc. to buy the land and to develop it. They had to have a Board made up of Texas residents; therefore, four from Gainesville were appointed (John Atchison, lawyer being retained by LK, Inc.; Don Woodruff, pharmacist; Milton Dickson, Dentist; Don Howeth). Bill Bryant of American Realty became president and remained here well into 1971. Lake Kiowa Utilities (just what the name implies). Cooke County Electric Company put in all necessary lines and boxes. The Gas Company did not choose to come. The Water Company was owned by Lake Kiowa Inc. and it was thought to be turned over to us, but they sold it to an outside firm located in New Jersey. Lake Kiowa Property Owners Association; the private member association to which all properties and authority would be turned over to when the project was complete.

Thanks all! Illithids? D&D maybe? Cult.... Retirement community? No idea... I can't wrap my brain around this one...

Oh, and for those of you who like to stir up trouble . . . I am NOT a member "trying to sell any history books!!" Lol... Jus' sayin'

Thanks again everyone!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
If you want to see inside this community so bad, simply ask a realtor to show you a lot, you know, act like you're a buyer instead of a sneak trying to break in.

The website doesn't look the least bit suspicious. Perhaps it's a better source for information, rather than using Wikipedia. Lots appear to be starting in the $6,500.00 range. This looks just about like my community, also gated, also ran by and for residents, located in Texas, with golf and other amenities. We're really secretive, I tell ya man. Mostly old folks who've retired to boat and golf...

lakekiowa.com...
www.lakekiowatx.com...

I think you're making something out of nothing, but by all means, satisfy your curiosity, easily and legally.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Yeah I'm not going to bother posting links because a simple google search of "Lake Kiowa" brings up a whole slew of informative and straight-forward pages which prove this is a totally average gated community. Really no mystery here...just a wikipedia article with incorrect information, imagine that.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Very interesting place....
I can think of a few ideas
Mafia retirement
Witless protection
Old spooks home
where ex cia and such come to die in case they mutter secrets in their delerium.
Fall back for an elite bug out scheme...?
maybe even a torture prison of the government?

How armed was the guard?
did you see camera or is the fence hot?
Anything suspicious show up on google earth of the place?
signs of underground construction?
Compare the county building permits to what is actually showing on G earth?
Other strange settlements or whatever have apeared too...one town had like 27 banks for a few thousand people town.
and a huge fortress built out of the town limits......

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
From the Wiki page....

The population living in the community is 100% alien, all humans that go into this residence, leave as alien hosts.

um.....

Community Government Lake Kiowa is governed by an elected board of aliens, with a Community Manager system, which is a form of indoctrination where an illithid implants a larvae directly into a human's brain, who conversely undergoes a ceremorphosis . Since there is no longer a developer, the property owners run the community [1]. Security can issue tickets, eat the brains of intruders, and enforce community rules.

....Really?

Im suprised there hasnt been a NatGeo documentary of this place.

(or maybe someone decided to pull a prank and edit the Wiki info).... I wonder who that could be?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by EdwynaGolden
Looking at a real estate page on lots and homes in LK; they were really nice large 1/2 million + dollar homes... Yet the US Census shows that the median income is from around $22k to $54k.

I believe this is simply because many of the residents/property owners are retired and show little to no income. This is nothing more than an upscale resort/lake community. Nothing strange here.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
they sold the lots on TV for a decade....in Dallas....I know one owner that built a home himself.....we flew a t-craft up there and circled twice so they could pick us up at town.....it was low finance there.....dirt and small trees. that was 68'

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Community Government Lake Kiowa is governed by an elected board of aliens, with a Community Manager system, which is a form of indoctrination where an illithid implants a larvae directly into a human's brain, who conversely undergoes a ceremorphosis . Since there is no longer a developer, the property owners run the community [1]. Security can issue tickets, eat the brains of intruders, and enforce community rules. Roads, bridges and infrastructure are maintained by the community. This has been effective for many years and is financially stable.[citation needed] Lake Kiowa is run for, and by, the residents. Kiowa Homeowners Water Supply maintains the water supply
reply to post by EdwynaGolden

I didn't see any of this on your link,
where did you get your information from?

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My teachers always told me that Wikipedia was not a reliable resource. If I cant even use that site for a research paper then that should tell you that that site isn't all that accurate.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mysteriousmysteries

That's okay. I understand it's a pain to research things when there's so much going on. I may have been reading more into all the subtle innuendos; who could know for sure. . .

I still feel that there is something going on there that is super secret and "strange." I did look at some of the properties for sale and again there's something odd about even the realtors! They don't even look like real people. They look like mannequins or something.

But regardless, one of the biggest items that brought me suspicion was the income from the US Census records versus the cost/prices of the houses. My single income household (mine. . ) is over middle range of the top income of those who have homes there. No way could I ever have a house that cost that much. I couldn't even afford the property taxes!! It makes no sense. There are other 'issues' with this area. I know I'm not completely wrong, there's too much 'weirdness' going on. The census information alone tells a LOT.
Thanks for your thoughts

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by eyesontheskies

Very true. I'm almost finished with my first year of a bachelors (at age 43! lol) and we cannot use WikiPe for referencing either.
I realize the information could be inaccurate; however I have been reading many years on the site and I have never seen any type of rhetoric such as what is on that site! I mean who would do that in the first place when the entire article reads normal and accurate until you get about 3/4 of the way through and it begins talking about Illithids and stuff. Furthermore, why would the people in the community allow it to stay there?

Yeah, Wiki pee is not very credible; but have you ever seen anything like this on there before? I've seen only seemingly accurate "serious" information.
If you have, I would be interested in seeing it.
Thanks for you input :-)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Yes, this is in the Wikipedia link for Lake Kiowa .... I thought I linked it, but here it is again:

Okay... well apparently I caught the webpage last night with this information from someone adding crazy information about D&D. . .

I am astonished because it's not there anymore. The remainder of the text seems to be the same as before; however the off-site content on the OP should show the differences from last night and today. I thought that Wiki had better filtering than that; but wow... what a weird way for me to see this "odd" place again after all these years! Guess the story is over now for here, but there's still a lot that doesn't make sense. That illithid stuff and brain eating guards was just a "jaw-dropper" for me, not an end to my suspicions. It sounds like some sort of govt run community for what purpose? Idk. . . Wow, that's amazing that it's gone now! lol

en.wikipedia.org...

Lake Kiowa, Texas From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Lake Kiowa, Texas — CDP — Coordinates: 33°33′59″N 97°0′27″WCoordinates: 33°33′59″N 97°0′27″W Country United States State Texas County Cooke Area • Total 3.8 sq mi (9.8 km2) • Land 3.0 sq mi (7.8 km2) • Water 0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2) Elevation 709 ft (216 m) Population (2000) • Total 1,883 • Density 628.1/sq mi (242.5/km2) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP code 76240 Area code(s) 940 FIPS code 48-40624[1] GNIS feature ID 1852719[2] Lake Kiowa is a census-designated place (CDP) in Cooke County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,883 at the 2000 census. Contents [hide] 1 Geography 2 Demographics 3 Amenities 4 Community Government 5 References 6 External links [edit]Geography Lake Kiowa is located at 33°33′59″N 97°0′27″W (33.566497, -97.007479)[3]. According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2), of which, 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2) of it is land and 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2) of it (20.63%) is water. [edit]Demographics As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 1,883 people, 861 households, and 661 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 628.1 people per square mile (242.3/km²). There were 1,064 housing units at an average density of 354.9/sq mi (136.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.45% White, 0.11% African American, 0.53% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.48% from other races, and 1.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.75% of the population. There were 861 households out of which 14.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.7% were married couples living together, 2.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.49. In the CDP the population was spread out with 13.6% under the age of 18, 2.6% from 18 to 24, 14.0% from 25 to 44, 35.4% from 45 to 64, and 34.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 59 years. For every 100 females there were 93.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.3 males. The median income for a household in the CDP was $55,430, and the median income for a family was $66,250. Males had a median income of $44,531 versus $27,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $28,354. About 1.7% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.4% of those under age 18 and 1.5% of those age 65 or over. [edit]Amenities Lake Kiowa is a gated, restricted entry community. The property includes a private 563-acre (2.28 km2) lake, large enough for skiing and boating activities. Abundant fish reside in the lake and the Lake Kiowa Anglers and Conservation Club maintains small and large fishing areas. There is also a private 18-hole golf course. Two different beach areas offer swimming, volleyball, tennis, and other opportunities. Each beach has picnic areas and a large pavilion is located at the West beach. A 9-hole Disc Golf course was recently built. The property is policed by a mix of private security, Cooke County Sheriff's Department, and Gainesville Police Department. [edit]Community Government Lake Kiowa is governed by an elected board of people, with a Community Manager system, which is overseen by various board members . Since there is no longer a developer, the property owners run the community [1]. Security can issue tickets, handle parking disputes, and enforce community rules. Roads, bridges and infrastructure are maintained by the community. This has been effective for many years and is financially stable.[citation needed] Lake Kiowa is run for, and by, the residents. Kiowa Homeowners Water Supply maintains the water supply.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Yes, so glad it is still on here! OMG!! They totally changed it! Hahaha!
I just had to check after I replied...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EdwynaGolden

it was still odd that you caught it as it probably happens more than we realize.
people do strange things.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I'm glad that you saw that on Wikipee too. If you're insinuating that I am the one that added that crazy information; I assure you that I did not.

The coolest thing is that after all these years I just so happened to decide to look it up again and with all the suspicions I've had in the past; it came up with that alien residents and hosts and stuff.

I didn't ever say that I believed all that stuff, cuz I don't; I just thought it was interesting because I've never seen something so stupid allowed on wikipedia.

LOL! But now I know! Regardless of those claims that have been removed today; I still find many other points and facts of this place to be uber creepy!
Thanks for your comments.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Really? That's cool! The prices are really high now. I think another poster said that the properties start in the $6000 range now. I looked for that, but didn't see any that low. Nearly all of the homes are very nice and big; over $300k up to $950k. I did see one or two mobile homes on the north side of the community that looked like older and sorta run down. Maybe this is what they saw.

Did you leave there as a human host? Lol. Not sure where that went, (it's been removed from Wiki now. . .), but it was there and I didn't do it!! I'm not that creative! Haha! Unfortunately.

But the median income doesn't match the cost of homes. The near "communistic" type POA and their homepage is just strange. I've never seen anything like that around me ever before.

My friend says I need to drop this before the black cars show up in my driveway.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I have sooo many ideas! Thanks for asking those questions; I will be looking at those things.
very cool!!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Thanks for your comments
I'm curious yes; but as I said I haven't been up there since 1989. I now live over 370 miles away from that place.

I was 18 -22 years old when I lived down there and didn't think about "going" to a realtor and "acting" as though I wanted to buy a house in there. Lol. That would've been a good idea.. .. Now that I've "grown up"; lol, I can simply research and look at the history of places and draw some good and often accurate conclusions. I don't get off by making up stories and sneaking around. I rarely did it when I was younger. This was just one of those places that was irresistible to me sometimes. Lmao! Your words sound as though I was being some kind of weirdo stalker type! Haha! That's not the case, even if that's not what you meant.

If you don't see anything strange or unusual about this "community", then that's alright
I do. There's so many little things that just don't make sense. Thanks for stopping by my post!!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm the one who changed the page.

ME!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Because, you were trying to trick people. What, did you grow up in this town or something and are having a laugh or did you just find a random town small enough which you knew you could edit on Wikipedia and get away with it?

See, the OP gives the information regarding the "census" because he wants you to look up Lake Kiowa on Wikipedia for yourself, and then see the edits he claims to have not made, but actually did.

The biggest give away is when he says "Hah, I'm not that creative" Um... nothing on there was that creative, no offense. Not even in the slightest. Eating brains is creative?

That's proof he did it, because he was blowing up his own ego about being creative, with something that wasn't creative.

I mean it was fun, and cool. In all fairness, the IDEA was creative... very slightly... (but very well within the bounds of the OP's intelligence.) but none of the wording was.

I had more fun though editing it and seeing your guy's responses though lol. Obviously nobody even changed the invalid information I edited either, so... nobody cares enough about that Wikipedia page to keep it updated correctly. The information I added is in no way founded on anything I knew. I think I put "Handled Parking Disputes"..... ? Lol, I have no idea if those certain folks handle parking disputes. They probably don't but maybe they do.

Ok, so... now, why did I want to spoil your fun? Well... I don't know...

It was a pretty fun idea, but... I donno...

Maybe I'm still bitter about the way people on this site treated me about other threads.

ATS has many enemies. not a very well liked and/or credible site.

Oh, yeah... one more thing. Notice how he said "wow there's something wrong with all the realtors. they all look all pasty and inhuman or something" Well, check it out: Lake Kiowa Realty Agents Photos

Do any of these people fit that description? Not in the slightest. They all look like older (and near retirement age as someone else said) normal folks, the kind you see around any smaller town...

If THOSE are aliens, then everyone in a small towns are aliens.

You said the realtors looked pasty and inhuman or something, so... where are the photos of those realtors?

I imagine he, the OP, won't respond again.

If he does... then, I say this... FESS UP!! I got you!!

If you don't I have a couple more points, bigger ones ... waiting... to shove it back in your face

I'm withholding it because I want to see if you try to take this a step further.

If he does try to continue this, I will prove it to you that this person made these changes. But, I'll withhold that for now.

Mods, to skunk works or garbage bin this goes?

new topics

top topics

join