It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Roundup, An Herbicide, Could Be Linked To Parkinson's, Cancer And Other Health Issues, Stu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Monsanto Roundup, An Herbicide, Could Be Linked To Parkinson's, Cancer And Other Health Issues, Study Shows

www.huffingtonpost.com

Heavy use of the world's most popular herbicide, Roundup, could be linked to a range of health problems and diseases, including Parkinson's, infertility and cancers, according to a new study.

evidence indicates that residues of "glyphosate," the chief ingredient in Roundup weed killer, which is sprayed over millions of acres of crops, has been found in food.

"Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
And water:

In many cities, glyphosate is sprayed along the sidewalks and streets, as well as crevices in between pavement where weeds often grow. However, up to 24% of glyphosate applied to hard surfaces can be run off by water.[22] Glyphosate contamination of surface water is highly attributed to urban use.

en.wikipedia.org...

Meanwhile the wonderful regulator the EPA

The EPA is conducting a standard registration review of glyphosate and has set a deadline of 2015 for determining if glyphosate use should be limited. The study is among many comments submitted to the agency.

EPA says we'll see what's up around 2015 and decide.

But this Monsanto Roundup is in both food and water and dishes, I say dishes because many cook with Canola oil.

And now, finally.. The ball is on your court Famers.

I'm not even going to ask a futile question like "What are regulators and Govt. going to do about this?"

Pshh
No, my question much less futility, my question is what are farmers going to do about this?

The ball is now on their court

Here's a MAJOR opportunity for the entire GLOBE!

Dont' call your senators, don't call congress
They will just expand already corrupt regulatory bodies and say "we have a new 10billion dollar project and look into this."
Meanwhile Monsanto will buy them.

Instead of calling politicians, CALL THE FARMERS!!!!!
MASS CALL THEM!

Make a group in your community, go visit the farm, have everyone call them while they are driving their, have their families call there if they don't want to drive.

This is a serious opportunity for everyone!
Ball is in both OUR court and the farmers's court.

www.huffingtonpost.com
edit on 26-4-2013 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Convenient
So soon after that Monsanto protection act was passed

Great find keep it up

Snf
edit on 26-4-2013 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Not "could be linked to" more like "is a cause of".

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

And water:

In many cities, glyphosate is sprayed along the sidewalks and streets, as well as crevices in between pavement where weeds often grow. However, up to 24% of glyphosate applied to hard surfaces can be run off by water.[22] Glyphosate contamination of surface water is highly attributed to urban use.

en.wikipedia.org...

Meanwhile the wonderful regulator the EPA

The EPA is conducting a standard registration review of glyphosate and has set a deadline of 2015 for determining if glyphosate use should be limited. The study is among many comments submitted to the agency.

EPA says we'll see what's up around 2015 and decide.

But this Monsanto Roundup is in both food and water and dishes, I say dishes because many cook with Canola oil.

And now, finally.. The ball is on your court Famers.

I'm not even going to ask a futile question like "What are regulators and Govt. going to do about this?"

Pshh
No, my question much less futility, my question is what are farmers going to do about this?

The ball is now on their court

Here's a MAJOR opportunity for the entire GLOBE!

Dont' call your senators, don't call congress
They will just expand already corrupt regulatory bodies and say "we have a new 10billion dollar project and look into this."
Meanwhile Monsanto will buy them.

Instead of calling politicians, CALL THE FARMERS!!!!!
MASS CALL THEM!

Make a group in your community, go visit the farm, have everyone call them while they are driving their, have their families call there if they don't want to drive.

This is a serious opportunity for everyone!
Ball is in both OUR court and the farmers's court.

www.huffingtonpost.com
edit on 26-4-2013 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

Yes good idea contact the farmers. Have to keep in mind college students of Agriculture are given Monsanto education, scholarships as well as jobs, they may be not aware at all of the concerns. It should very well be brought up to them.
Monsanto's Behind-the-Scenes Influence on University Research

Overall I believe more danger will be found in studies the problem is the media twisting the details, both Alt and MSM, as goes will education as mentioned above.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Good logic on asking the farmers to help. To bad that agribusiness is killing off the small farmer.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well the number of people who have come into contact with Round-Up spray is probably more than 3/4 of the population just here in the United States alone! Considering the spray is carried in the air, used around residential homes, commercial land and on farms. Not to mention the fruits and vegetables that get over-spray from farmers spraying nearby weeds. Monsanto is slowly killing all of us.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If you were to ask most farmers about Round up or other Monsanto products, they would likely tell you it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. At least that is what the ones that i have asked said.

You tell them that GMO is destroying all our natural seed fields, they will likely say "So!?, I made $750,000 on a bumper crop with this stuff" "Works good for me..."

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I still do not understand the logic of using a "weed killer" at all. It is the fruit of some profoundly twisted mind. It is obvious that such materials will get back into the circulation of the biosphere...

Has Monsanto ever done anything good actually? Because whatever I read of them - the killer gene (for which third world farmers die), Agent Orange and weed killers...

Sounds like these good old boys are plain old "people killers", causing far more trouble than the likes of Kim Jong Un or those "evil Iranians".

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I watched a Monsanto documentary last year. If I remember correctly, if a farmer has ever used Round Up, they'll never be able to go back to non GMO seeds. The Round Up ruins the soil and if the seeds aren't "Roud Up ready", they simply will not grow.

Even if they tried, they would be sued for stealing Monsanto's patented technology(the remaining round up in the soil). I have heard of this happening. No farmer has the resources to fight them in court.

I talked to my farmer cousin about this. He thinks Monsanto is great. It has "revolutionized farming". Well, just because it makes things easier and more profitable does not make it right. Especially when the consumers have to pay the price.

Then, there is the whole honey bee die off issue. Pretty soon...nothing will be pollinated. Then what?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It's weird hearing all this, I get the impression the EU as a whole is quite anti Monsanto, we had a trial of a GM crop in the UK a few years back and it was found to have contaminated fields around the test site - which we'd been assured could never happen - don't think it ever really picked up momentum after that.

That said, Tesco is now allowing chickens to be fed on GM soya...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxSteiner

A lot of countries have banned GMO's all together. It kills me when companies make products GMO free to sell in countries where it's banned...yet still feed their crap products to the US.

It seems even countries who are far less advanced than the US know the dangers.

It really boggles my mind.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Too much water will kill a plant (most anyways).

Not enough of many chems (aka vitamins, drugs, etc) means potential blindness, cancer etc. Too much of any of those may result in cancer or -gasp- worse.

That Roundup might cause cancer, should be a '1st nature' realization about what this world is made of and what we are (chemistry).

My yard is filled with rows of pots. A little mulch (which is often junkmail portions) solves most weed problems.

A good friend has a 20x40' ground plot that he uses one full sheet of black agricultural plastic and has nearly zero weed problems.

Now when you're an ultrasuperjumbomega monocrop farm it might be a whole lot easier, more robotic, to skip that and spray herbicide in those monstrous irrigation robots. Of course poison FOR plants, even only certain ones, seems to me like a bad idea. Call me the crazy person, but the biology that chemical herbicides are built to affect are vastly different in 'nature' compared to pesticides that plants all already produce in some form for affecting insect biology.

Now of course this 3 edged knife cuts all ways: First, chemicals that impact the biology of those 2 kingdoms doesn't necessarily impact our mammalian biology in any ways like you might imagine. Second, any specific chem could impact all kingdoms, none at all, or some worse than with their intended macro targets.

Perhaps its best to be able to skip mass spraying anything that could have unintended consequences, but will global food demands be met without impacting the global ecnomy? And what if closer to all people eating such likely nasty chem treated foods had good diets to begin with, would such trace amounts and / or cellular mutations actually impact them when only from time to time? I answer no to both questions.

Square one: I study & practice plant & human biochemistry everyday, with a heavy cognitive anchoring weighted towards cancer research / understandings / solutions. Virtually every plant has in it chems that would both cause or cure some form or more of cancer in the right isolated concentrations & under the right set of variables. I'd be shocked if humans ever manage to find a plant that down the road wouldn't prove do to one or the other, and surprised if one were found that didn't ultimately have the potential for both. For a real opener look up the known carcinogens in coffee (which is cancer neutral in humans).

Maintain balance grasshopper. Don't drown in the water lilies.

SOLUTIONS: Grow more of your own food. Aspire and work to achieve more income to better diversify your food array and the quality of its various portions. Only drink RO water. Stop eating garbage. Stop drinking garbage water from garbage. Stop using antibiotic liquids soaps and then eating with your hands saturated in resulting residues. Expect to sweat during your lifetime, and often. It's as artificial as Monsanto to expect otherwise and your body will insist in the form things like cancer I bet. Eatc.
edit on 27-4-2013 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I like the newly padded out comment ignoranceisntbliss!

There does seem to be a bit of a disconnect in the world of farming at the moment, in Europe we're heading toward gigantic sealed hydro farms using selectively bred breeds of plant produced the old fashioned way rather than GM, because it's sealed you don;t have to worry about weeds or parasites and the yields produced are staggering - it almost seems redundant to use a propriety GM version of a plant.

A good example is Thanet Earth (terrible pun I know...):

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Yes, until I saw this video I hadn't realized just how sweet large scale hydro could be:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I use roundup and I have a tremmor in my toes when I quench them. This could be caused by glyposphagte or it could be that I have different genetics.

I guess the only way I can figure this out for myself is to drink one cup of roundup per day and see where my health leads me.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Very good OP. I read this a while back from a different source. I even found an antidote in something common, something you can consume at dinner time.
I really start writing some of these things down....I can't for the life of me remember what it was. That research took me many hours too.

Dandelion leaves to make you pee it out....Strange that the same thing you try to kill can cure you

Milk can cure some of the problems and stop absorption as long as the milk isn't contaminated.
edit on 27-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfHart
I use roundup and I have a tremmor in my toes when I quench them. This could be caused by glyposphagte or it could be that I have different genetics.

I guess the only way I can figure this out for myself is to drink one cup of roundup per day and see where my health leads me.

I live in the NW Phoenix suburbs (temporarily). They saturate the golf courses here with it. In the stone ground-cover along the walk paths are turquoise colored spots almost everywhere because they put food coloring in the Roundup so they can mark where they sprayed. Even for one tiny little weed)(!) that would be easier to just pull up. The local parks here are saturated with the poison. Even the children's playground, and around "Lake" Surprise where people catch fish to eat.

I spoke to the local HOA (I'm here to help my aging Mother after my Dad died) and told them Roundup was considered the "little sister" of Agent Orange. It really is! They laughed and said it was safe. So did the local park people. By federal law (maybe standards?) wherever Roundup is sprayed commercially warnings are supposed to be posted within 100 feet of where it's applied. And only sprayed by licensed and registered workers wearing chemical masks. It's not.

I replied to your post because what it reminds me of what I said to the HOA when they laughed at me, and the city of Surprise parks people, and whoever else tries to defend it's use is "OK, I'll buy you and your family the dinner of your choice anywhere you want. All you have to do is, each one of you, kids first, have to "drink a glass of the stuff before you eat". I haven't had any takers yet.

Look up Walworth Wisconsin home of the Kikoman soy sauce company. My family owned a farm since 1939 across the fields from it. (the factory was built in the late 70's) Walworth is a great small town with a town square and all that. And ALL the farmland grows soy now. No more rotating crops and wondering in the spring what would be planted this year. My close friend down the road wife died at 36 from cancer. His brother-in-law died from it when I was there. It's almost in epidemic proportions. Tumors, COPD, thyroid problems. I went back there a few years ago to fix up the property to sell. I couldn't believe what I walked in to.

Talk to any Viet Nam veteran with health "issues" from being exposed to Agent Orange. Even their kids suffer from the effects. There's more than just a few isolated cases. I researched it. Roundup IS the "little sister" of Agent Orange. And whenever someone tries to defend it, offer to buy them dinner. They might come back with "it's safe after it dries". Not true. The dust comes in the house on your shoes and everyone gets to share. I read that people that live on golf courses or work on them have an 30% average shorter life expectancy. NEVER bring your shoes from the course into the house. Leave them in the garage or trunk. COPD is at the top of the list of Roundup health problems.

And it DOES seep into the aquifers! So it sneaks into the tap and bathing water in houses. And poisons animals living, eating and drinking around the garbage. We got by for tens of thousands of years without it. Lets stop producing the stuff NOW!

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Interesting...

What some people may not realize is when you mess with the metabolizing of phosphates in plants, you may also be messing with this...

Heavy metal uptake by plants

New findings on phosphate uptake in plants

Living things have been adapting and evolving long before people started messing with them, that's why they've been around for millions of years. So after a few generations, plants that manage to survive weed killers will adapt and do things like using alternate (although perhaps much less efficient) chemistry in their metabolic processes. But that also means things will end up in plants in amounts not normal or even possible before. It also may end up being stored in parts of plants where it wouldn't normally end up, so it ends up in nectar and pollen. (What may the bees be telling us?)

So even if the weed killer is "safe enough", overuse may still have unintended effects on the environment.

Also some other things like "slow release" mechanisms for applying these herbicides may be ending up causing unintended consequences too. More stuff ending up in food plants we may not want, since we don't entirely know what they do when they end up in animal tissues.

A patent showing up in a Google search relating to metals getting into plants via phosphate related process. (Not specifically looking for it, but it described some interesting things that may fill in some details which lead me to mention the above.)

Related is that some stuff typically that is normally inert in the environment, also may become absorbable by biological tissues when exposed to certain chemicals and who knows what the consequences of that are? (Not that the chemistry is from something like Roundup itself, but secondary reactions due to such chemicals being heavily used out in open environments. Stuff that typical studies on chemicals may not show.)

Google search for "Biologically active aluminum"
(You'd have to scrape a lot of pans or purposely eat a lot of aluminum foil to get close to what other chemistry can cause to happen. This stuff is practically impossible absorb into tissue via most natural means.)

Not that I know a whole lot. It's like playing a game of connect the dots. More qualified people will have to put the pieces together to see if there's anything to what I'm a tad suspicious of. It's one of those things that definitely needs more research.

And it's not that companies like Monsanto are specifically out to poison us, it's just that overwhelming greed can put the blinders on. Putting profits above all else is what makes them evil. It's an issue of "not my problem", "the buck doesn't stop here", and other attitudes associated with short-term thinking. It wouldn't be a first time for that company though, look back at what went on with DDT. (It worked plenty good - probably one of the best things for mosquito abatement, but so many unintended and nearly disastrous consequences wreaked upon the environment.)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I have a problem. I am horribly allergic to roundup. I eat only organic so I am not sure if this is a rather new development or if I just became more aware of and sensitive to it. The FDA told me in a reply letter that it does not cause allergies.
I can not go near the gardening section of places like Wal-mart or Home Depot. I was in Wal-mart the other day and by the entrance they had a display of roundup and the moment I walked in the door my nose started pouring my eyes burned and I got extremely light headed.
Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do, it is everywhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join