It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Devolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I was on FB, and a friend posted something. I'm not going to go into all the gory details, but basically I kept my cool, using no cursing, and got my point across logically. Everyone else in the post seemed to only be able to use foul-language.

Has our society really devolved to the point that, when people can't articulate thier opinions without using foul language, name-calling and all that goes along with it?

I think our society as a whole is devolving. Anyone else seeing this trend?

I mean, I know there's people out there who can articulate beautifully without having all the useless clutter, but IMO that is like..... .1% of humanity. The rest are seemingly incapable of general articulation without the use of foul language, and name calling.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Perhaps it's tied to their age and our culture....or maybe their base level of intelligence.

I do know that sometimes there is nothing more fitting than a well-used expletive. Sometimes an F-bomb is the only thing that accurately portrays the situation or feeling being expressed.

It's all how you use it.

edit on 26-4-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
I was on FB, and a friend posted something. I'm not going to go into all the gory details, but basically I kept my cool, using no cursing, and got my point across logically. Everyone else in the post seemed to only be able to use foul-language.

Has our society really devolved to the point that, when people can't articulate thier opinions without using foul language, name-calling and all that goes along with it?

I mean, I know there's people out there who can articulate beautifully without having all the useless clutter, but IMO that is like..... .1% of humanity. The rest are seemingly incapable of general articulation without the use of foul language, and name calling.

I would call it "Facebook mentality"

You dont to be smart on a social networking site, its dog eat dog lol

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Our society is in the middle of a nutty transitional phase. I personally cant wait until its over.

Maybe we can get rid of some of these archaic social constructs that prevent us from evolving into something magnificent. Like, borders, language, system of law, war and the list goes on.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Greed is too powerful to let that happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420

When Big Media keeps telling people that Humans are only chimps, some of these humans will start acting like chimps.

Today Big Media say humans are viruses, humans are not so evolved, humans who think are ''conspiracy theorists'', etc. So many humans stat believing they're nothing more than viruses, stop evolving, and stop thinking. The result is devolution.

Devolution in social behaviour, and devolution in language.

Quack! Whoops, sorry.

edit on 26-4-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

When I was young I thought it was "Cool" to swear like that.... Yea.... Not so much now... I'd rather stump someone articulately have have the proverbial "Deer in the Headlights" look, when they can't make a rebutle.

Just young kids, who are yet to experiance the "real world" sooner or later they will look back and realize they sounded like children.

On another note.... I haven't stopped swearing... It's just proper placement for the occassion~

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Avoid " Facebook " at all costs ! It is a playground for the feckless and shallow minded person.

The sort of person who has to hold their phone in their hand all the time, just in case...

The sort of person who worships " Celebrity " culture and all the trashy gossip that goes with it.

The sort of person who is glued to manufactured " Reality " ( ? ). T.V.

Sorry, nothing personal, I just see the " Dumbing down " that people accept and go along with.

There is a real world out there.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Usually it's teenagers that use all the profanity. You can also always "report" something on FB. I've had to do that before.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I just find it funny that so very few people can effectivly articulate in a debate situation. The whole situation is over now, but it's so typicaly of how -most- humans think these days. The moment they realize they don't stand a chance in an intelligence-driven conversation/debate they start name-calling, and cursing. This situation even devolved further. I wont go into details, but basically when they couldn't out speak me they wanna suddenly fight.....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Mark Twain said it best waaaaay before FB.

“It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”

Good for you to keep it civil. You always know when someone is losing a argument when they start using name calling and foul language.

Though sometimes as a noncom I have used such to a person or group face to face. It can be used effectively to provide motivation. I just don't use it on the interwebs.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It's just wierd how we're progressing in so many areas, yet this is -not- one? What does that say for our society?

top topics

join