It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkey Nuts Withdrawn From Sale For Failing To Warn They May Contain Peanuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Monkey Nuts Withdrawn From Sale For Failing To Warn They May Contain Peanuts

www.telegraph.co.uk

Booths, the upmarket grocery chain, have withdrawn 350g bags of its own brand Wholehearted Roasted Monkey Nuts, which are peanuts still contained in their shells.
The Food Standards Agency said that although the packaging was transparent, allowing customers to see what was inside, the supermarket had failed to identify peanuts as an allergen on the labels.
It said without the correct warning on the label, people with an allergy to peanuts might not realise that monkey nuts were the same thing and unwittingly eat the product.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
You seriously can't make this stuff up, Nanny state gone too far?

What really got me was some of the comments below the article, people are actually defending the move with lame excuses that you don't really know if your food contains an allergen these days without labels..

That is true, but this is a bag of whole, unprocessed Monkey nuts! You can't mistake them for anything else!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
You have to protect the daft.

One person who is a vegan boasted about how Cod Liver oil kept her skin and nails looking good. She didn't believe it was made from Cod's liver.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Do you know what the warning label will say

This product may contain Peanuts

That is what they all say!

May? WTH. I bloody well hope it does otherwise what is it? Reconstituted plastic!

P

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The other day I was getting ready to drink a delicious glass of milk (with the mandatory cookies, of course) and while pouring it I read the label "Warning: Contains milk".

edit on 26-4-2013 by Casandra because: Changed words for picture for emphasis... and fun

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Christ!

I remember once getting some KP salted peanuts and it said on the back of the packet "May Contain Nuts". I knew then that this world has gone completely mad.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
Christ!

I remember once getting some KP salted peanuts and it said on the back of the packet "May Contain Nuts". I knew then that this world has gone completely mad.

I bought some beef burgers, turns out I was eating horse.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

That always made me laugh when down the pub and I'd buy a bag of dry roasted peanuts...

"May?" ..... Hmmmmm

It's like buying a pack of bacon and having a warning on it saying that it isn't kosher....

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

In stuff like burgers, I can understand the need for clear labeling as you really cannot tell what it is... That said, I reckon the horse is what made my Tesco burgers as tasty as they were

But in the case of a bag of nuts, it's pretty bloody obvious and it begs the question why would anyone who is allergic buy a bag of nuts and think it was something else if it lacked a label? It's daft!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The world has gone mad, but it's driven by the compensation culture.

Monkey Nuts could have other connotations.

edit on 26/4/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Oh poop - this thread is dead then now it's been dumped in the general chit-chat forum...

Would have thought it had some worthiness - ho-hum...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Ban bread, if it might have got bread in it!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A true win for primate eunuchs everywhere.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Does not the product describe its contents in its name?

Monkey...NUTS!

The whole damned country has gone nuts IMO.

I am really surprised we don't have signs up everywhere warning us that oxygen is fatal-as it is what causes the ageing of our cells.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Apparently not.....

It wouldn't surprise me if they had to put a label on them saying "Does not contain Monkey's"....

JAK

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

There you are, see? You have your answer as to why the warning is required.

"Your Honour, when I saw Monkey Nuts for sale I assumed it was a ancient, air-dried Chinese medicine to rejuvenate the older man, returning to him the virility of youth... Imagine then my surprise and disappointment when I opened the packet only to find..."

new topics

top topics

join