It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The back pocket/bottom line

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

Once you've had one come up to you begging, and then attempting to take from you with violence, you change your tune.

This has happened to me once. (I was in my car, and he motioned to roll the window down, I foolishly did so, and he then reached for my wallet). Lucky for me, I had the skills to neutralize the situation, but no telling what would have happened had this man picked a different target. So you'll have to forgive me if I assume any stranger approaching me for a handout, is anything BUT a threat to my personal safety, or the safety of anyone with me.

I did give him a penny, so he could reflect on whether it was worth it, while he grasped the arm I had twisted and dislocated.

And yes, I AM going to allow that one bad experience to taint my assessment, because my safety, and those of my loved ones, is more important than some stranger scrounging money for beer.

Now, there are some who I can tell, by looking, don't pose me much of a threat, don't look like boozers or druggies, etc., and I do try to give as I can, but if I feel ANY level of threat, I'm going to assume that posture.
edit on 25-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Dunno where you're from, but the facilities here in Dayton, OH are horrible. They're bed-bug ridden, drug infested places that promise help yet never give it. I've PERSONALLY watch many, many people get turned away from the Gettysburg Gateway for Men. The reasons: No ID, from another city/state, trying to get the staff who're selling drugs reported (myself), and even for refusing to do maintenances job.

So tell me, how are these facilities great? Cause i'd love to know where exactly you got your facts from?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

And yes, I AM going to allow that one bad experience to taint my assessment, because my safety, and those of my loved ones, is more important than some stranger scrounging money for beer.

How exactly do you know what the money was for? And you haven't responded to my question about 'great' facilities.

I personally apologize for that person's actions, however. They deserved said dislocated shoulder, and you DID the right thing.
edit on 25-4-2013 by jjsr420 because: added something.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I've had my fill of "helping" the homeless. I'm tired of them being ungrateful. One guy hangs out at the local gas station. One day i had no money on me, bought gas with my debit card. He asked for a few dollars, i had like 75 cents in change in the car, i offered it to him. He said "That won't do me a damn bit of good". I told him fine, have a good life. A couple times i offered some homeless people an extra sandwich i had just bought, and some slices of pizza from some take out, instead of money. Pretty much got the same response, they wanted money instead of some food. Can't buy their booze or drugs with food. Then most of the others around here are too busy talking to themselves or their imaginary friends.

So now i just look out for No.1.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It's exactly THAT kind of statement, and mentality that's bringing our world to s**t. Yea, those people were wrong for how they acted. But not EVERYONE is like that. I'd have accepted the food BEFORE the money, and thanked you for your help.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420

Originally posted by Elemetia
reply to post by Elemetia

I'm homeless -now-, in a city that's SUPER hard to find work in. I have -nothing- going for me. If someone gave me a chance to better my life, i'd jump on it. Heck, even if there was work here, I couldn't get it because I can't even get a bath. Nobody is gonna hire a stinky, dirty homeless guy. That doesn't mean I don't have Apps in everywhere though.

For being homeless, you're online a lot. Are you hanging out at the local library? Or do you have a laptop and using WiFi at a local shelter?

Here, they hang out at the local library, use the restrooms to bathe and wash clothes in, till the police run them out.

Just curious.
edit on 25-4-2013 by bg_socalif because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I use the local libraries. And unfortunatly, they don't allow us to wash up here.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420

It's exactly THAT kind of statement, and mentality that's bringing our world to s**t. Yea, those people were wrong for how they acted. But not EVERYONE is like that. I'd have accepted the food BEFORE the money, and thanked you for your help.

That would be nice of you, too bad the others didn't feel the same. Unfortunately in my experience way too many have acted like those i've mentioned and have ruined it for others who do show some gratitude.

Gotta look out for No.1, because no one else is going to.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I wish your experiences could have been different. Not all of us are like that. But what i'm saying about your 'looking out for no. 1' statement isn't just about homeless, it's about everyone. Everyone is so concerned with how much money they do/don't have that they can't see anything past that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join