It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it means to be created in the image of God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
God sure showed us his love when he decided to try and drown us all back in the day --- or like that one time when he sent us a nice bouquet of love in the form of fire and brimstone rained down from the heavens!

We were created in his image meaning, we must look just like the Gods did back when they created us... that is... half monkey and half God!

As far as being Godlike ourselves... Ha!
I still can't figure out how to walk on water yet!
I still can't figure out how to bend spoons with my mind or instantly turn water into wine.
I've yet to figure out how to blow up a mugger with my mind as he's running away with an old lady's purse.

As soon as some of these things start happening, that's when I start believing that we were created in *their* image!

Until then... we're still puny humans with far too much ego for our own good!

Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law answered Jesus. They said, "Teacher, we want to see you do a miracle as a sign (proof)." Jesus answered, "Evil and sinful people are the ones that want to see a miracle for a sign (proof). But no miracle will be given as a sign to those people..."

Faith comes first.
Then everything else will follow.

Nature is the very essence of God. Nature floods. Nature has tornadoes. Nature has volcanoes.
These are not designed to punish humans.
It is the way of the universe.
And how is dying necessarily 'bad?'
You obviously do not like it here very much. Wouldn't you rather return to the infinite source of Love?

::EDIT::
My last question was slightly hyperbolic. I love being alive here. I want to stay here as long as I can do to as much good as I can and experience all that I can experience. I'm not merely waiting to die. This life is the best gift God can give. It is only through this experience that we can fully understand and appreciate the experience of truly being with God.

cheers.
edit on 24-4-2013 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
Gen 1:26..."Let us make mankind in OUR image, according to OUR likeness...."Obviously a GROUP of beings at work here.
The religious argument for this phrase is that the plural "our" is referring to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit...

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
Gen 1:26..."Let us make mankind in OUR image, according to OUR likeness...."Obviously a GROUP of beings at work here.
The religious argument for this phrase is that the plural "our" is referring to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit...

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Right, which doesn't make any sense. How can OUR even refer to a son that has not been born?

Also early on in Genesis, regarding the Tower of Babylon: " Let US go down there and confound their tongues..."

And plenty of references to "us gods", "those gods" and "other gods"...

Very clearly, the bible makes constant reference to 'Lord God' and 'God'...one had a higher rank than the other.

The names of the gods were purposely left out when Romans rewrote the bible. Because of this, people have misinterpreted the bible to think there was only one 'god'.

The main 2 gods (Lord God and God, aka Lord Enlil and Enki according to the Sumerians) were at war with each other to see who would rule over the Earth mission.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funafuti
reply to post by eleven44

This is how I feel it to be:

Before time, there was a oneness. The oneness "said": "I am one, let me be many" and the oneness created the Universe. A prerequisite for the Universe to exist is duality. Without duality (yin & yang), there couldn't be any relations between anything - the oneness couldn't be many.

The oneness is pure consciousness. We are human. Humans are conscious. We created ourselves to witness ourself. We ARE God.

And I agree.
Duality is necessary for this reality to exist.

We are but a drop of the ocean. But the entire ocean is also contained within the drop.

The difference is our current limited perspective which comes from being contained within these physical forms held within Space/Time rather than Time/Space. We are currently separated consciously from All That Is. We have come here to learn many lessons. The greatest of which is love.

The Holographic Theory says that all the information of the entire universe is held within every atom/molecule of our body.

I think this is true. (I know this is true??)

The statement 'I AM' is the most powerful statement humans can make.
The name of god is also, 'I Am That I Am.'
So yes, 'I am God.' So are you.

Now lets learn how to co-create a peaceful world with that knowledge.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44
You obviously do not like it here very much. Wouldn't you rather return to the infinite source of Love?
Actually, I'd LOVE to live a couple hundred years if I could. I'm not afraid of death one bit - but it would surely suck if I died tomorrow because I have so much unfinished business to tend to as far as life itself goes.

I know deep in my soul that we will all end up on the other side... it's just a matter of whether we'll end up on the Positive or Negative side of the energy that's swimming around out there... I know for a fact that I'm gonna be swimming in the Positive flow of things --- "I've seen't it!" I feel it!

Don't get me wrong, I may have very little (I don't ever use this word) *hate* in me (I hate the word hate), but there are things that my soul absolutely despises --- like murderers, bigots or people with ill will in their blood who are too stupid and ignorant to realize that they're screwing up the planet... and extremists who only see things their way and their way only.

So I know I'm gonna see you and everybody else in that infinite realm of Love --- deep in my soul I know it! I have no worries about that!
edit on 4/24/2013 by the_philth because: Had to give eleven44 a star on his forehead!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Actually, I'd LOVE to live a couple hundred years if I could. I'm not afraid of death one bit - but it would surely suck if I died tomorrow because I have so much unfinished business to tend to as far as life itself goes.

I know deep in my soul that we will all end up on the other side... it's just a matter of whether we'll end up on the Positive or Negative side of the energy that's swimming around out there... I know for a fact that I'm gonna be swimming in the Positive flow of things --- "I've seen't it!" I feel it!

Don't get me wrong, I may have very little (I don't ever use this word) *hate* in me (I hate the word hate), but there are things that my soul absolutely despises --- like murderers, bigots or people with ill will in their blood who are too stupid and ignorant to realize that they're screwing up the planet... and extremists who only see things their way and their way only.

So I know I'm gonna see you and everybody else in that infinite realm of Love --- deep in my soul I know it! I have no worries about that!

Cheers to that.
There's many paths to the top of the mountain. ( I'm aware of how cliche that may sound...but it's the truth.)

I have a short temper for pretty much all the same categories of people that you mention. It's the one thing that truly makes me angry.
The only way I have found I can 'fight' it is by providing as much positive energy into the world while I am here.

See ya on the other side

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
never thought of the FACT being Christian is a pagan religion.
In order to be considered part of it you have to accept HUMAN sacrifice .(JESUS)
Or cores even that isn't good enough for your loving god after all he promised to destroy the world once again.
Well guess no human's no sin is his loving logic. OO but no worry's as long as you don't complain when he always you to be tortured starved and shot in his name your good.
Lol Your god may be real (I use to have faith in him .Thank god (pun intended ) I woke up .
No god who says bring your son to the mountain and sacrifice him to me is a god I would have faith in.
So go sacrifice your self he never gets enough of death for sure. Just like every other pagan god . Demanding more and more

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The drop-in-an-ocean-analogy is a very good way of thinking about our nature.

I also believe that we are here to learn about ourselves. The meaning of life is life itself, and our brain is the crown of evolution on Earth. We are aware that we think. Animals think, but they are not aware of it. I believe that the ultimate meaning of human life is to transcend duality and become united with All That Is again.

What drives us is the will to recreate (because we are the creators of ourself in order to recreate this ever-changing Universe). When I ask many people about the meaning of life, they answer "to procreate so that our genes can live on." Orgasms are nice. We want to have them. This is because we attain a fleeting state of unity with All That Is during sex, climaxing in the orgasm which is our reward for striving to unite with All That Is (and uniting with in even in the briefest of moments).

Although sex is very nice, having sex is not the true goal/will for humanity (even if it certainly feel like it at times). This is just one way of feeling unity with All That Is. If we bring in Chakras and the Kundalini to the discussion, it is interesting to think of that sexual unity - resulting in the forming of a "new" body that's made up by matter - takes place in the lowest two chakras. If one were instead to raise the Kundalini (the life-force) up along the spine to the highest chakra (which is basically the brain), we attain what is colloquially known as Enlightenment: a state when ultimate unity with All That Is is attained. This is the orgasm of orgasms and what everybody's intrinsically striving for. What could possibly be a stronger experience than this? To be able to say I Am That I am and be everything at the same time while being nothing.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Funafuti because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funafuti
The drop-in-an-ocean-analogy is a very good way of thinking about our nature.

I also believe that we are here to learn about ourselves. The meaning of life is life itself, and our brain is the crown of evolution on Earth. We are aware that we think. Animals think, but they are not aware of it. I believe that the ultimate meaning of human life is to transcend duality and become united with All That Is again.

What drives us is the will to recreate (because we are the creators of ourself in order to recreate this ever-changing Universe). When I ask many people about the meaning of life, they answer "to procreate so that our genes can live on." Orgasms are nice. We want to have them. This is because we attain a fleeting state of unity with All That Is during sex, climaxing in the orgasm which is our reward for striving to unite with All That Is (and uniting with in even in the briefest of moments).

Although sex is very nice, having sex is not the true goal/will for humanity (even if it certainly feel like it at times). This is just one way of feeling unity with All That Is. If we bring in Chakras and the Kundalini to the discussion, it is interesting to think of that sexual unity - resulting in the forming of a "new" body that's made up by matter - takes place in the lowest two chakras. If one were instead to raise the Kundalini (the life-force) up along the spine to the highest chakra (which is basically the brain), we attain what is colloquially known as Enlightenment: a state when ultimate unity with All That Is is attained. This is the orgasm of orgasms and what everybody's intrinsically striving for. What could possibly be a stronger experience than this? To be able to say I Am That I am and be everything at the same time while being nothing.
I'll drink to that!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightstar
never thought of the FACT being Christian is a pagan religion.
In order to be considered part of it you have to accept HUMAN sacrifice .(JESUS)
Or cores even that isn't good enough for your loving god after all he promised to destroy the world once again.
Well guess no human's no sin is his loving logic. OO but no worry's as long as you don't complain when he always you to be tortured starved and shot in his name your good.
Lol Your god may be real (I use to have faith in him .Thank god (pun intended ) I woke up .
No god who says bring your son to the mountain and sacrifice him to me is a god I would have faith in.
So go sacrifice your self he never gets enough of death for sure. Just like every other pagan god . Demanding more and more

Don't believe everything you think.
I very much recommend you read THIS article.

From the article itself:

Did the resurrection really happen? Was an individual named Jesus really raised from the dead over two thousand years ago? Theologians and atheists both agree that the validity of Christianity rests on this one point alone. Many atheists argue that if Christ wasn’t raised from the dead then there’s no need for Christianity or God because it’s all myth. On the other hand, since Christians believe that Christ was raised from the dead, we too can have eternal life if we believe in him. Both of these arguments are ridiculously short-sighted and they completely divert attention away from the reality and purpose of existence.

Much love.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
thats just something someone wrote down in a book. until it becomes a living experience for you it's fantasy

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Some choose not to believe that we are
'Made in the image of God'
because of the amount of war, suffering, greed, etc, present in the World,
and since God is supposedly only Love...
how are we Humans capable of 'bad'?

What those people are missing is that
'being created in the image of God' means
we are Creators ourselves.
We created those wars.
We created that pollution.
We created the homeless.
We created the corporations.
We even created our own personal drama and suffering.
See, we have focused our God given energy in negative directions.
The good news is...
We can also create the solutions.
We can create peace.
We can create community.
We can create any world that we can imagine.

At least...that's what I think.
It's time to go to lunch.
Hope all you guys are having a great day.

You have 'thought', completely correctly. *thumbs up* (Listen to that voice 'in there'!)

If you follow this line of thought backwards, repack what has been 'unpacked' so far...it all fits neatly back into the container...it removes all the ridiculously complicated questions resulting from the origami ideation created by complicating a very simple procedure (fundies of all denominations seem to revel in 'cutting to fit', and 'molding to agree' paperfolds, that create grotesque monster paper products)...and while the salient 'markers' are required to 'pack backwards', so much fluff has been added, made-up and altered...that the 'underpainting' is quiite hard to see (takes an 'infra-red' mind to visualise)...

Fundie (to legitimise the result of a paperfold) creates the archetype dichotomous rivalry...[sidenote: other posters are also completely correct in pointing out the 'creation-responsibility for creation' dynamic that exists in this system]...Fundies (in a well known responsibility-shifting psych trick) provide a culprit and 'ONE' way out of the dilemma created by the trick...neat huh!...unfortunately not...the creative process inherent in the trick means that loci of these creations exist in dimensions unrecognised (as such) propelling themselves, and others (into, and out of them) to relay the stories of 'I went to hell...' or, 'I went to heaven...'
...or the prophetic 'God (or Gods' angel) told me so' stories (revelation - sometimes that blinding light can be so obstructing...you just have to make the details up...) and then others can paperfold the paperfolding...

OP is entirely consistent with what happens.

A99

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

You almost got it, but missed the point, Men was not created in an Image of a God, men created a God in the image of man, now you see how all those things you post make more sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The good news is... We can also create the solutions.
We can create peace.
We can create community.
We can create any world that we can imagine.

How can we create peace without killing all of the warring people (Little Fat Boy in North Korea, all the lunatic Islamic terrorists, people in power using their military to force their will on other nations)?

How do we create community without killing all the drunks, druggies, whores, wife beaters, pedophiles, thieves, psychopaths; the greedy, the selfish, all gang members, violent people, stupid people, ambitious, aggressive, intolerant, prejudice...

You can imagine any kind of world you want, but what you imagine isn't realistic.
edit on 4/24/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

In the Old Testament the blood sacrifice of animals was the means by which God cleansed his chosen people of sin and was a shadow of that which was to come, the blood sacrifice of the Lamb of God, without spot or blemish (sin), Jesus Christ. It took the disobedience of one, Adam, for mankind to be in need of an atonement (payment) for sin. Because Adam was a man and not God, his disobedience brought mankind under the curse called sin.

The blood of the man, Jesus Christ (Jehovah, God's only begotten Son) was pure blood, born of a woman but conceived by the holy ghost (spirit) and it was by his blood sacrifice as payment for the sins of the world. Because Jesus was not conceived with the seed of man, his blood was pure. He redeemed man back to a right relationship with God because his blood was pure. Jesus Christ did not sin therefore by his obedience even unto death and the shedding of his blood, the payment for our sins was considered by God to be payed in full!

I know this is a quick answer for a complex question but, it is just that simple. God made it simple so even a little child could hear and believe. God said if we confess Jesus Christ as Lord believing in our hearts that God raised him from the dead, it says, thou shalt be saved. (PERIOD)

Jesus Christ chose to die for us. He laid down his life for us because he loved us even while mankind was yet sinners. We do not deserve to be saved yet, it is a free gift from God to sacrifice his only begotten son so that we could have eternal life through him. It is called Mercy and Grace!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

Your ignorance is shining brilliantly! You do not understand the circumstance regarding the flood during the time of Noah. The DNA of all humans at that time had been altered through the union of fallen beings. Their children were called the Nephelim (Children of fallen Angels and daughters of men) in Genesis 6. The whole of human kind had been corrupted through the alteration of the human DNA. The plan of Satan was to corrupt the human race by changing the DNA. If Satan could corrupt the whole human race the promise of God too crush the head of Satan through a Savior could be stopped. Noah and his family, their DNA had not been corrupted. The Bible says that Noah was perfect in his generation. The word perfect does not mean he was morally perfect. It means his DNA had not been corrupted. All humans had corrupted DNA and therefore had to be destroyed so that God could bring about the salvation of mankind. The wickedness of man was great in the earth at that time.

God destroyed the human race through the flood because of his love and mercy and grace for you and me!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cor Leonis

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the explanation. It is the explanation I have been given all my life. We were redeemed by means of his sacrifice. It still does not answer the question I originally asked, however, and one which I have pondered over for decades.

Why?....by what mechanism....was it necessary to have a blood sacrifice? Was it merely the rules of the game? Or was there some scientifically relevant reason behind the necessity that Jesus sacrifice his blood.

Why couldn't God simply forgive mankind for the error of their original parents.....simply forgive the debt so to speak. Why did his son have to shed his blood? What was the "science" behind the requirement that blood be poured out?

edit on 24-4-2013 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

What does it matter what the masses of people think about you or me? Without the spirit of God living on the inside people are dead while they live. I am not ashamed of Jesus Christ or God the Father. If so, he will be ashamed of me.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

It was by man that sin entered the world, legally it had to be a man to redeem man back to God. God is a just God. Man relinquished his dominion of the world to Satan by his disobedience. The dominion had to legally be bought back by the obedience of one. Since the life of man in the world is in the blood it took a perfect blood sacrifice for the debt to be payed for and dominion to fall back into the hands of mankind. Without faith in the blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins it is impossible to please God.

I don't know that much about science but I do know that the reason that mankind could live for so long as recorded in the book of Genesis is because the blood had a lot less contaminates in it. Their blood was much more pure than it is now, not only because of sin but also all the junk we put in our bodies now is a testament of why we die so early. Jesus Christ's blood was without sin/no contaminates. He could have lived FOREVER if he had not been crucified. Instead he chose to give up his life for us!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cor Leonis

So, you're saying, it's a LEGAL thing. God has Laws and that was one of them. "I can't forgive humanity for the sins of their original parents because it wouldn't be legal. For it to be legal, justice has to be exacted. I have to send my son to earth to suffer and sacrifice his blood. Once he does that and is resurrected, I can legally forgive man."

See my dilemma?

The real reason is hidden....it's a mystery to be delved into, imo.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join