It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego: origin of voices in your head which can result in "shizophrenia".

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What is it when you hear voices in your head?

It is ego 'fighting' itself. It is something it can do. Did anyone identify the voices in ones head before? Ego is such a pain, such a [snip]. You'll see these voices are not yourself, but you might have figured this out already.

It's just ego turning on itself.

To lose ego is to lose shizophrenia with it. Such a diffusion of the soul. I am sorry for your suffering.

One should love it when ego is fighting itself. Now you know how you should feel when these voices occur. The problem most people have is that they don't know how to feel about it, and they often think themselves is the problem, but that is when ego still has a part of you. You identify yourself with it and that way it seems it is you who causes these voices.

On clearing confusion!

edit on 22-4-2013 by Kandinsky because: removed f-bomb

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I ask myself why I'm so hateful
Maybe it's part of my nature
People say I'm #ed it in my mind
Feels like there's nothing left inside

Walking now on different dirty street
But the same old feeling still exists
Hate is like a shade that won't never leave
Leave me alone I don't need sympathy

What goes around, comes around
You going down, down
Straight hate, straight hate

Criticize and call me negative
But you never face life or reality
I separate myself from the rest
What da # you expect?
You going down, down
Straight hate, straight #ing hate

Grow up in the ghettos made me real
To deal with my fears
Mutha#er you don't understand
Pain and hate

edit on 21-4-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

I tend to agree that some cases of schizophrenia are actually just simply cases of people losing control of their own mind. Allowing their ego to fight itself, etc. Being drugged can also increase these symptoms, depending on what it is.

I do know what you mean though, I think that it is part of life for everyone that they have to struggle with self-control of their own mind. Allowing imagination to override perceptions of reality, failing to achieve balance between the two aspects, is a real danger.
edit on 21-4-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Good post. I've had a lot of connection with schizophrenia in my life from family and work in mental health. There is always a weird ego thing involved. And also, crazy isn't an on/off switch, its a continuum. Most people have mild effects of some mental illness: depression, schizoid spectrum, anxiety, something. But they manage it.

For that spectrum, yeah, I think the Buddhist style meditations are really useful. Let your thoughts just float through you without attaching them to ego. Don't judge them, saying "this one is me because its awesome, this one isn't because its stupid", but just let them show themselves to you, and pass on. Its all about peace and self acceptance... the kind of self acceptance which lets you also accept others in the world around you too.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

There comes a point ego succeeded in making a person its host. People having ego is just people having ego..

People can transcend ego while it is possession of them BUT THEN WTF LET THEM BEHAVE.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Often schizophrenics hear voices from seemingly separate entities.

Ego generally implies a construct that is associated with one's own self-ness.

I'm not sure I see the connection. In fact I might almost say the opposite seems true. That is, the voices and thoughts are distinguished as completely external from the self, over time leading to the formation of multiple alter-ego constructs in mind.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
and you, thx for any kind of support Danbones.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by hermes31
Often schizophrenics hear voices from seemingly separate entities.

Ego generally implies a construct that is associated with one's own self-ness.

I'm not sure I see the connection. In fact I might almost say the opposite seems true. That is, the voices and thoughts are distinguished as completely external from the self, over time leading to the formation of multiple alter-ego constructs in mind.

No that's exactly the thing: I've worked a lot with a mentally ill individual who, when he is hungry for instance, will hear the voice of a little girl (he is male) who announces that she is hungry. The individual rejects the un-masculine little girl for her constant needs, which he is too tough for. However, the individual himself has some transgender traits - desire to wear jewelry, carry a purse, etc. But he ascribes male narratives to all of them, associating himself with male archetypes through he dress: soldier, preist, etc. So the individual is deeply annoyed by the (hallucinated) voices of that girl and other women - wanting things, crying, screaming, having female sexual desires. Traits he disassociates from his own self concept as a tough guy, a role he is constantly trying to prove through exaggerated bravado, loudness boldness and so on. This theme of the "woman out to get me" is really common in schizophrenics who self identify as manly men. What's happened is they have disassociated from an attribute of themselves - in this case their feminine side - to reinforce an ego concept of self that doesn't have those traits.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

It's all identification with ego. Ego can be whatever it wants. The moment one thinks it are his own thoughts... you see. Can be dangerous, since dangerous is ego.
edit on 22-4-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
wait schizophrenia is associated with too much talking to yourself in your mind. i do that 95% of the day.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAConsumer

Distinguish ego and yourself.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

What's to say the formation of idealised ego concept came before the disintegrated experiences and not after or during?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hermes31

i dont understand this.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Ego will do whatever it takes to confuse others about its issues to make it able for it to continiue as it wishes.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angle

Ego will do whatever it takes to confuse others about its issues to make it able for it to continiue as it wishes.

Where does ego come from? Where does it live?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I disagree. Strongly.

Most of the people I have known with schizophrenia (at the hospital my mom worked at, as well as certain relatives) had a problem with their ego; it was not strong enough.

The more strong your ego is, the more it is consistant and cohesive. Not enough ego results in that sort of inner conflict and fragmentation. It is like a classroom of children with no teacher to gather and organize them.

We are all made of different urges, drives, intents and motives, it is the ego that is the unifying and managing agent.

It can be too strong, micro managing and using violence against these parts, and limiting growth,
But too weak you get chaos.

People with anorexia claim they are too fat,
People with OCD claim they are unorganized and messy,
People with a lack of ego claim they are egotistical and in need of breaking their ego.

edit on 22-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

the last thing you said is what i did after college, now im a mess! but i did learn alot about pure peacefulness.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Auditory and visual hallucinations have nothing to do with ego or people would be able to be control it and psychologists would be able to cure it through ego strengtning interventions. People can be on the scizoaffective spectrum and maybe have fragile ego associated with this but schizophrenia is a serious brain disorder with a ton of info out there on chemical malfunctions within the brain. People can have schizophrenic experiences if on hallucinogenic drugs but its temporary and while ego may appear to go out the door while high it's only a part of the experience and not equivalent to people who can not escape it.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I disagree. Strongly.

Most of the people I have known with schizophrenia (at the hospital my mom worked at, as well as certain relatives) had a problem with their ego; it was not strong enough.

edit on 22-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

There's truth to what you're saying, but it depends on a different definition of ego. You're definition seems to be tied to self love, and self esteem, things which are clearly positive and healthy. My idea, and perhaps the OPs, is that ego is the idea which defines what are ARE and what we ARE NOT. So I think the OP is saying that when our idea of what we ARE NOT cuts us off from certain parts of our selves, we get really broken as people. Its better to just have self love for our own minds, and patience.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join