It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Chit-Chat forum needs reform!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ack! I'm getting so annoyed with the general chit-chat forum! It used to be one of my favorites as it could be a great place to run into some unique, interesting, provocative, and insightful ideas from fellow members.

But anymore it seems like a safe haven to post the puerile, the sophomoric, and the ultimately useless threads that are turning ATS into a social networking meme extravaganza.

I swear, we need to add a forum called, "Ideas I had while on the can that would make a totally awesome thread!"..just because I'm getting frustrated finding threads without substance. I think we need a whole new category because some of BTS is getting just too BRATS for me! (Below Really Annoying Top Secret)

Yes, yes, I've been guilty of creating such threads in the past. We all have! It's just part of the bandwagon that we all get suckered into at one point or another.

BTS has its purposes. Not everything is a conspiracy, and not every member should be focused on doom and gloom all the time. I see BTS as a buffer that allows us to share ideas in other aspects of our lives. For example, we can share recipes and the latest health tips, have a discourse on religious issues, consult about imagery we saw in a dream, and discuss our relationships.

But do we really need threads that lead to almost no discussion in any direction whatsoever? such as "post a funny pic" or "just to relieve the tension" or "ask me anything and I will answer with a snappy response" kind of threads?

I think General Chit-Chat is just a little too general. Although there isn't a realistic measure of what makes a useful or useless thread (it's all opinion after all,) I think there should be some more definite parameters such as "off-topic, serious discussion" where people can discuss their ideas,outlooks, worldviews etc without having to dread an onslaught of joke memes and one-line joke replies.

and a counter forum for "off-topic, non-serious joke discussion" where one would expect to find the kind of threads for posting funny pics, posting funny posts, and just general off-topic bon mots

This is my proposal for General Chit-Chat reform

edit on 20-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Lighten up, it's "chit-chat", nothing serious, that's for all the other forums.

Maybe YOU should start more threads with something decent to say in that forum to dilute what irks you enough to start a rant.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

chit·chat (chtcht) n. 1. Casual conversation; small talk. 2. Gossip. intr.v. chit·chat·ted, chit·chat·ting, chit·chats

To engage in small talk or gossip.

It is what it is called it seems to me.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

reply to post by Char-Lee

Okay, but where is the line drawn?

I'm talking about threads like "What is your favorite color?" or "What size shoes do you wear?"...stuff that seemingly has no value for generating discussion.

On the other hand, general chit-chat could be useful for if someone wants to discuss something like "board games from the ancient to the present" or "collecting vinyl records" etc.

I think there are two disparate categories we're looking at here and they shouldn't just be lumped together...is all I'm trying to say

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by nerbot

reply to post by Char-Lee

Okay, but where is the line drawn?

I'm talking about threads like "What is your favorite color?" or "What size shoes do you wear?"...stuff that seemingly has no value for generating discussion.

On the other hand, general chit-chat could be useful for if someone wants to discuss something like "board games from the ancient to the present" or "collecting vinyl records" etc.

I think there are two disparate categories we're looking at here and they shouldn't just be lumped together...is all I'm trying to say

Well since the definition includes even gossip I would say...
If someone starts a thread that is not interesting doesn't it just go away really quick anyway? Maybe people are interested in the junk you mention and you are not, otherwise no response means it is gone right? So how can it clutter anything, it seems the forums are self cleaning really.

There are so many forums, but really if you added another what would it be, General Junk? Then what if someone finds that one to cluttered and don't like the content? see how it just doesn't make sense...the smart thing is not read what you are not interested in as it promotes it.
edit on 20-4-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I'm fed up with people who try to Police the threads.

It's not your job.

If you dont like a thread then go click on another one.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I am not sure I understand what you mean. What changes would you make?

This is a place to get to know each other, get your feet wet, and take a break from some very serious stuff. If every forum was 100% serious 100% of the time people would get burned out. This is a good place to get comfortable, get advice, and for a newbie, a great place to feel comfortable. I have gotten to know quite a few great people in this forum.

If you look at my profile, the majority of my posts are here!! Please dont take it away! I am not ready to hang with the big kids yet.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I'm fed up with people who try to Police the threads.

It's not your job.

If you dont like a thread then go click on another one.

You're policing my thread right now
All I'm saying is that I see two thread-types in this one forum. Am I not allowed to express my observation, opinion, and suggestion?

edit on 20-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I can understand where you are coming from this is not the venue for this. See the top of the page. It says:

"Rant: Let loose some steam and get it off your chest! This is the place to rant about anything that does not attack other members, the staff, or ATS itself."

May I recommend filing a Complaint?

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join