It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where and What would you carve into rock to preserve a thought for Eternity??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I was thinking about how the earth sheds layers of rock like we shed skin and couldn't really come up with a good way to preserve knowledge for basically ever. Weather and everything else erodes everything over time so what and where would be your ideal place to carve something.

I started thinking MT Everest But then decided that wouldn't work because we need technology just to reach the top so it'd be useless to primitive civilizations in the making if they couldn't reach it to learn from it. Then I thought about caves but they can be unstable/deadly.

After some thought the best thing I came up with is to smelt gold or silver into Granite in a cave somewhere high up. That way the material would last forever and would be locked into the stone obviously by something/someone. As for what I'd smelt into it, I was thinking maybe the solar system as we know it..

Upon writing this I had another thought that maybe the biggest help could be to in lay magnets in a way that would demonstrate some science experiments/technology and would be easily interactive with anybody carrying something magnetic. That would be cool imagine being a primitive explorer and holing up in a cave to find some force or something that attracts your weapon or makes something you are carrying levitate in a magnetic field.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I would use a crayon and scratch "Soup is Good Food!" under the SF Bridge...

Don't know why but this makes me laugh.

I like yours better tho.

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I would use a crayon and scratch "Soup is Good Food!" under the SF Bridge...

Don't know why but this makes me laugh.

I like yours better tho.

Peace

Lol, maybe draw it like a cow in a boiling pot with a guy taking a bite out of said cow while giving a thumbs up

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

As for the how, you're going to need to keep anything you want to preserve away from oxygen and moisture. Easier said than done! Maybe some kind of vacuum time capsule that can withstand a beating from mother nature.

As for the what, great question! I have no clue what I would want to communicate to the ages, but have wondered along similar lines before..and made this visual essay as a result. And think of all the neat stuff we put in Voyager I.

edit on 20-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

Personally, I don't think there is anything which could actually last an eternity. Regardless though, I think that carving into the surface of the Moon would be a better choice than anywhere here on Earth.

Currently, I can't actually think of any serious answer, regarding what my message would be. I just keep envisioning the same image in my mind, which is simply a big 'SUCK IT' carved into the face of the Moon......
edit on 4/20/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If I had access to the equipment, I would laser inscribe my message onto the edge of diamonds.
As they do now for ID purposes. Here is an example.

I would probably store them in the most elevated place in the mid-continent of Australia? Somewhere high and dry, with little tectonic activity.

Messages?

"MOL=42"

"Sorry, we were preoccupied with pettiness and ego problems. Hope you got the mess cleaned up"

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Last night we watched Ep1Season 1 of Primeval Primeval on Wikipedia
In short, a time hole opened up, allowing dinosaurs to walk through, and people to go to "100's of millions of years ago" (the writer's vague grasp of geologic timescale is silly).

My question was if one went through the time hole (it is a doorway, operable backnforth, so it's not a 1-way trip, but the hole IS closing) without advanced planning &/or WITH advanced planning what could one leave or do there to leave a mark?

i didnt thunk about what Advanced Planning of the viait would allow for; my only fleeting thought was Well, if you have a gold watch on, that might make it to dawn of Inquiry of mankin. Or a laptop, which has weird (people who'd be unfamiliar with our tech) magnets & metals which don't come assembled insuch a way, naturally.

Obviously I wasnt intellectuallisng it, I was already debasing standards by viewing auch a cheesy amalgam of other shows & tv audience kowtowing, this Primeval show. The writing is trite at times. Like all tv. Digression done.

What to write in stone for future culivilation? Or how to make lasting mark, in any medium? I'venothing, and it's bothering me, as I'm a visual artist. If something strikes me, I'll be back.

Ok before I hit post I thought of a cache of materials, from & indigenous to each respective other continent & unique area, left in each highest spot on every continent. . Something like that. 6 or more unique mineral objects carved in unnatural shapes, from lands far from the continent it's on.

And a written note with URL of ATS.
edit on 20-4-2013 by kkrattiger because: Leaving typos, as they r funny. "Mankin"? Pls rad thru them, this screen is a big as 2 credit cards sided vertically, minus 1/5 of bottom of each. AKA SMALL!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Like what, the molar mass of diamond?
How bout a cryptic $ value inscription of $0. The ultimate value, in terms communicable, to a currency-based yet existentially preoccupied civilation. Which, lacking a mental model of anything else,I imagine another civilation on earth would be... (I like Southpark's skewer of Communism, where everyone trade service for other services... A breadmaker gets security from someone in exchange for bread. LIKE A BAKER, & A COP)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I would carve two short horizontal lines and two short vertical lines that overlap eachother.

Then I'd put a circle in the top left space and a cross in the middle one...

That or a big dick.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Oh no....MOL=42 means. 'the answer of the Meaning Of Life is ....42" courtesy Douglas Adams

And I would not use diamonds for their monetary value. Just for their hardness, compactness. Also a cut diamond is obviously not natural. I would use many, and put various messages on them. The previous 2 were just examples.
I guess, magnifying glass would be good to include too so they could read the messages immediately. Glass is pretty long lasting.

top topics

join