It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you want to lose ego,..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

If you are the way you are on here, on the street, at work and in general society then how is it working for you?
You always come across really angry - I don't detect any peaceful understanding or compassion in you.

Seldom angry, always blunt. And my reaction comes across as rough because irrationality brings out the worst in me. I'm not a big fan of voluntary idiocy.

Your ego has no effect on my life.
How does it effect yours?

How does it affect my life, you mean? Well...I exist, don't I? I suppose that should be good for starters.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You CAN live without the ego. It is something the Buddhists define as "Nirvana", something I, through training have achieved.

Now, I understand this is not for everybody. For many it is an intimidating feeling, you do not lose yourself, however it does indeed feel like you are separated from it, at least in part.

You do not, need god to lose it, that is a personal belief and largely does not play a part in this, "discussion". As for the other religions mentioned, Buddhism and Taoism I believe it was.. Buddhists strive to be free of the ego and maintain the state through their structured belief system.

Obviously, you can live without your ego.

This did not need to descend into an argument.
edit on 20/4/2013 by LilFox because: formatting

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by olaru12

God isn't "natural" so I have no idea or need to even debate such a foolish notion.

Now supernatural is a different story...

AI....do you need a hug?

No thank you. So what are the laws of the supernatural? Or do we just make those up as we go along, too?

What do you care? You aren't interested in what I have to say or think. You have made that abundantly clear; you just want to be contentious and exercise your arrogant ego.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Angle is having is fingers in his ears going: 'Nananananaannanananana'

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Angle is having is fingers in his ears going: 'Nananananaannanananana'

...Batman!
edit on 20-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angle
Couldn't resist posting this.

I hope you like it:

My answer:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I think Ego is bad. Confidence in the truth is very good but confidence in untruth is bad. Ego seperates people while confidence helps to bond people together. This is a very complex subject because it deals a lot with underlying belief which differs between every person I know. Varying Motives are always involved in this.

Overactive ego yes. But an underactivated ego is not good either since it enslaves you to others. Even after an egodeath the ego is reborn bit a little different. The middle way is the answer with an openminded ego in a state of flux that can be what it wants to experiance differences. It is all about finding a symbiotic state.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The symbiotic state is after ego death.

I think the simplest way to describe it is that you simply remove the filter between perception and the brain. You still have the thoughts, however you are aware of the roots of them, they occur simultaneously with the active processing of the surrounds by your brain, ergo, you lose nothing, only gain.

You can't have half an ego, it isn't reborn.. you can't have half a filter. It is there, or it isn't.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

Okay, God does not suffer. What did that reply tell about me, please?

It tells me that you think you are GOD. ATS should be proud to have GOD as one of its members!!!

You do get that god is from one point of view just an awareness that is on another level. So it has a little more tricks up it sleeve that it can have fun with and dazzle us with. Should ants be impressed that you are human? Are we not all awareness on one level or another. But I like the feelings I get from the other side but it is playing a weird game of hide and seek where it shows me things but will not say it flat out

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox
You CAN live without the ego. It is something the Buddhists define as "Nirvana", something I, through training have achieved.

Now, I understand this is not for everybody. For many it is an intimidating feeling, you do not lose yourself, however it does indeed feel like you are separated from it, at least in part.

You do not, need god to lose it, that is a personal belief and largely does not play a part in this, "discussion". As for the other religions mentioned, Buddhism and Taoism I believe it was.. Buddhists strive to be free of the ego and maintain the state through their structured belief system.

Obviously, you can live without your ego.

This did not need to descend into an argument.

Not really from my point of view. I instead think they change their ego to have a viewpoint that is nondualistic in that means that everyone around you is yourself (or part of the bigger you that is everything that is) and that they should look into different views and see how they are. But there is still an ego that chooses to have this philosophy and follow it. The ego comes back transformed. It is more about the ego/unconscious mind/body becoming one whole and playing around with the strange information that you can find when the unconscious mind is allowed to surface what it perceives without ego blocking it.
edit on 20-4-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

I do understand what you mean, the only real differing point I guess is the perception of a want for this state. To me, to someone who does experience it.. the state I feel utterly natural, I do not have a want for this state, it just is.

I guess I could say as opposed to a state which is the opposite of dualism, this feels like the absence of dualism. It is not two sides of the same coin.
I have read many quotes about this experience, I wished to understand it from others' point of view. One that stood out stated that she felt as though everyone else died. She was part of an empty world, people lead around by their pasts and she felt utterly isolated. I see her experience as something describing the indescribable.

I do feel an intense peace and being at one with my environment, I see my "self" as my biologically unique features of my mind, the wiring if you will, which defines how I think, not what I think about.

All I can suggest is to experience it for yourself. Perhaps this may help.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

Thank you. I will look into when I am in a questioning mood to see if a piece of my puzzel does not fit as I want it to.

From my point of view that sense of oneness with everything is hard to have with everything around you even in the bliss but that might depend on the personality that you have created and the environment you are in.

From afar you can love everything as long as the everything does not have behaviour that gets on your nerves. Sometimes it is a persons fault that you get upset but sometimes it is the everything that is at fault.

Life on earth is for me so bittersweet and most of the time this place feels like such a waste of time even if it is not. Hopefully the Kundalini awakening speeds up since the more people wakes up the easier it becomes for the rest (If i understand what is going on correctly).

One more person seem to have gotten it. Another blessed one. Radio active. Hidden but still in plain sight. hihihihihi.

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive

edit on 20-4-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Ego is the tool of the selfishness in an individual. Selfishness is the opposite of selflessness. Selfishness is the root of all evil in the world, and is the parent of the many woes that have arisen throughout human history.

The problem is, why would somebody get rid of ego if there's no reason to? Selfishness is, first and foremost, self preservation in a material world. But if someone doesn't believe in God and higher principles of love and virtue, what would be the point of getting rid of selfishness and bringing about ego death?

Even Buddhists, who are, to some degree, non-theistic, have concepts of karma and rebirth. Even they believe in higher values which underline all human behavior.

So, how do you bring about total ego death? Simple. Trust, love, and follow the One who is the originator of selflessness. The One who made you through a selfless action. He didn't NEED to make you, or any of us, and yet He did. Why? Because He wanted to share the love, gifts, and wonders of Himself.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

I like talking to you
Open minds are nice.

Anyway, I have noticed a few unintended and unanticipated changes..

The filter which I mentioned is also comprised of certain preconceptions about people. Now, this isn't always a good thing, however it is a function of the mind which does set to protect us from threats. In pre-homo sapien times it likely served as an early warning system. Pattern recognition = association = threat.

I am now, not precisely without it, however it is not primary function anymore. The thoughts are still there but are that moment, that thought behind the "now", I have found myself caught unaware by certain things.. even a moment in a movie can really trigger some deep emotions. I can not define whether this is a good thing or not, I can only hope that true happiness lay in the truth I am now part of.

Things, people.. do get at my ego occasionally, riling emotions. However the difference now I am very aware of it and the awareness lets me simply dismiss the emotion and resume my happy calm.
I really hope people do awaken soon, I am doing my best to help enlighten those around me, however we are indoctrinated into a system which just not encourage such things. Most people can smell the vileness in the air, we know something is wrong.

But when I step back, clear my mind, it is like a golden river of light flowing through me, I feel totally at peace and can see the utmost of lucidity. In the time I have been like this, I have done my best to help others', and I am happy to say that I have changed lives. If we all die tomorrow, I can say I tried, I did my best.

Bittersweet to be sure, beauty marred by ugly, love marred by hate, you and me, us and them... dualistic elegance at its finest.

Thank you for having an open mind and sharing with me.

reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

As for FollowTheWhiteRabbit, one can have principles, one can believe in love and virtue, without following "god" or any religion or belief system at all. To infer, state or even entertain the notion of anything other than is pure arrogance and discrimination. A product of ego.

There is no problem, as you state. I released my ego to where it belongs because I wish to see the truth of everything and be free of the preconceptions and links that my mind created for one reason or another. I do not need religious doctrine to teach me how to be a decent person. The fact that you see a problem in someone achieving ego death, or as the Buddhists say, "Nirvana", is a reflection upon yourself and your own doubt in your beliefs. For if you had total faith, then you would indeed be following the bible and be happy for me, instead of believing your "god" lay claim to ego death. Let people be happy.

I reiterate, one does not have to be of a structured religion, to be a decent, loving person or achieve "Nirvana".

If anything, certain religions need to begin reviewing their doctrine, the entire history of the church is marred with prime examples of what not to do, some rather cruel and vile acts which offend common decency everywhere in the world.
Be careful riding on that high horse, you may just fall off.

Perhaps you need to read the bible and do away with your own ego.

Mark 12:31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

How do you bring about ego death? You see the ego for what it is.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleByLittle

Originally posted by rickymouse
I think Ego is bad. Confidence in the truth is very good but confidence in untruth is bad. Ego seperates people while confidence helps to bond people together. This is a very complex subject because it deals a lot with underlying belief which differs between every person I know. Varying Motives are always involved in this.

Overactive ego yes. But an underactivated ego is not good either since it enslaves you to others. Even after an egodeath the ego is reborn bit a little different. The middle way is the answer with an openminded ego in a state of flux that can be what it wants to experiance differences. It is all about finding a symbiotic state.

I think you may be thinking of Ego as confidence, they are not the same thing. If you are not confident, you are not achieving what you should. Certain people in society try to make others confidence weak, then they can control them. If you are confident, you can achieve success but usually it is a slow and steady growth. If you are overconfident, you rise quickly and come slamming back down when your supporters abandon you or someone within your ranks overthrows you because of your lack of awareness that comes with overconfidence.

An Overzealous Ego is when you get proud of your knowledge or achievements which makes you feel you are better than those who helped to create you. These people use Ad Hominum techniques to suppress those who challenge them. These people make lots of mistakes and take risk with other people's money to make themselves a few bucks. They usually do not tell the whole truth or do not investigate things more than they are required to so they cannot be held accountable. Laws protect these people, they were designed by them.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Your inner world is balanced evenly with the outer world. The inner world of subjective, egotistical, interpretive individuality is source of your awareness and the painter of your experience. The outer world that you'll never see the absolute form of, is what you are aware of. The pictures come in, and you make them human. There's nothing wrong with that. The fullness of a human experience can only be had by embracing every part of it, not by circumventing what exists as part of yourself.

There is no such thing as pure selflessness. Not in this universe. As an experiencer, your self will always be your reference. The balance occurs when the outside world is definitively decided to be equal to your inside world. But this doesn't make you selfless. It makes you more selfish, actually, but now everything becomes incorporated into your self, and as always, your own, now larger, well being is sought.

Basically, there is only you from your perspective. That's just the way it is. If you don't like it, you are only suffering the not liking of yourself.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Angle

Ego is a natural component of the human condition. Without ego, we do not exist as individuals. And considering our reality is characterized by individuality, I fail to see why we should lose our ego. Tame it, perhaps. Lose it? Hell no.

There are borders.

All the hardness is to tell the border of being self-protecting to being selfish

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You know, I'm still having no clue what ego and dualism means..

I just mean, erm..

Must have gotten rid of that a long time ago

edit on 21-4-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

You know, I'm still having no clue what ego and dualism means..

I just mean, erm..

Must have gotten rid of that a long time ago

edit on 21-4-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

Here is a video called what is NON duality - it may help you understand 'duality'.

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

The ego, in this context is the self opinion of the self. How we largely identify as an individual. eg: I am a white female, I am of X religion, I am of X status and class.. and so on.

The wikipedia article is a good start.

An excerpt from the wikipedia article:

The German/ Canadian spiritual teacher, motivational speaker, and writer Eckhart Tolle writes about the ego in his book A New Earth. "The extent of the ego's inability to recognize itself and see what it is doing is staggering and unbelievable. [...] To become free of the ego is not really a big job but a very small one. All you need to do is be aware of your thoughts and emotions – as they happen. This is not really a 'doing' but an alert 'seeing'. In that sense, it is true that there is nothing you can do to become free of the ego. When that shift happens, which is the shift from thinking to awareness, an intelligence far greater than the ego's cleverness begins to operate in your life. Emotions and even thoughts become depersonalized through awareness. Their impersonal nature is recognized. There is no longer a self in them. They are just human emotions, human thoughts. Your entire personal history, which is ultimately no more than a story, a bundle of thoughts and emotions, becomes of secondary importance and no longer occupies the forefront of your consciousness. It no longer forms the basis for your sense of identity. You are the light of Presence, the awareness that is prior to and deeper than any thoughts and emotions."

du·al·ism /ˈd(y)o͞oəˌlizəm/ Noun The division of something conceptually into two opposed or contrasted aspects, or the state of being so divided. A theory or system of thought that regards a domain of reality in terms of two independent principles, esp. mind and matter

People most often identify as one of a dualistic option, black/white, life/death/, left/right... and so on

After you understand what it is, you can understand what a change it is to lose it.. I often link to this and share the information.

edit on 21/4/2013 by LilFox because: Wiki info

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join