It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musical Onomatopoeia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Always liked this riff. Truly conjours images of a train heading away from Sanity Central.

Anyone think of any others?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Maybe it's because I'm a musician, but I just hear guitar. I don't understand what some people hear sometimes, then I remember most people don't play an instrument, so it's like magic to them.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Seriously?! You can't pick up on the cadence of that riff? What instrument do you play?

Music is much more than a bundle of notes. The inflection that a musician can impart on a piece is a true art.

Try listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons and not get a sense of what each piece is trying to communicate.

Listen to the Ozzy clip again and go beyond the instruments. Randy Rhodes was a clever guy (RIP). That riff starts off medium slow and picks up to a proper chugging humdinger. Jump on train and head straight to Crazyville!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

Guitar, bass, piano and percussion.

The only riff reminiscent of a train is the first part of the verse riff: CHUGchuggaCHUG. Wow, palm muting.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Your obviously accomplished, so you should understand the question I'm asking.

I can pick up on the imagery in there, as simple as palm muting is.

What I really want to know, are there any other pieces of music that have intentional, direct or allegorical messages.?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yeah... Sorry, this does not work for me either, I just never dug the Ozzy, more showman than musician in my eyes, sorry!

Imagery?
Let's see Jimi in action! "Machine Gun", this is the feeling of Vietnam in music. The pain and torment... The snare ratta-tatta-tatta-tat like a machine gun bursting out through the jungle, followed by a period of quiet. Genius.

edit on 20-4-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

Just wondering...Are you a musician? Play an instrument? Professional? Carry a Union Card? Study music? Have a degree in music?
How long? Which instruments? Non-porfessional? Amatuer? Never studied? No degree?

Then, you have an opinion as a listener, not based on anything within the study of music....just your ears.

If Im wrong...Ill apologize

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I play guitar, although extremely badly and piano, also extremely badly. I can play the notes, just not necesaarily in the right order. And you're right, this is absolutely from the perspective of the listener.

This thread is about Onomatopoeia. In other words, the music sounds like the words that go with it. I'll once again use the example of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Or maybe Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush (very eerie when played in the dark)

I apologise if I questioned anyone's musical ability. This is more about the connection between music and imagery.

I'll open this out wider and ask what music conjours strong images for you.

i.e. who can listen to the William Tell overture without getting a picture of the Lone Ranger?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

Sure. Here's a crazier train than any Ozzy ever dreamed of riding.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I ran across this thread while looking for an onomatopoeia for a harmonica. I agree with you, there is imagery in music. I've been playing flute, a little piano, and hand bells for a little more then 16yrs but my real passion is in art. I am frequently looking for imagery in music.
I would honestly think if someone is that much of a musician then they're more likely to understand the imagery in music because u have to create the right sound to fix the mood of the song.

I even know ppl who hear colors, like if they hears a trumpet play a b flat she sees blue.

new topics

top topics

join