It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8th grader suspended and arrested over a t-shirt.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Originally posted by g146541

Ok I can admit the shirt was the catalyst but please use your head here.
We are not talking about a cool headed debate captain here.
We are talking about a hot headed little boy here, and I would bet not on any suppressing meds.

So, by that logic...if a teenage girl wore a Justin Bieber shirt to school and the teacher decided to point out that they feel that Beiber is a bad influence and a poor excuse for a musician, then that teenage girl should be not only suspended, but ARRESTED for the predictable response that she would most likely have to such a statement about something she cares deeply about and holds dear.

Would we then blame the teacher who instigated the argument by disrespecting something that the teenager loved or do we blame the teenager for not simply backing down?

Who was really "Disrupting the Educational Process" here?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos
reply to post by g146541

The parents shouldn't have to remove their child. The schools should not be restricting the rights of the students in any way, shape, or form.

It strikes me as social conditioning; This kid spoke his mind (via the shirt), look how much trouble there was, do you really want to open that can of worms? No? I didn't think so, now, turn your shirt inside out and get back to your desk.

Truthfully there are no rights in public schools, some even MAKE you wear a uniform.
Where is the constitutionality in that??
The reason is there is a contract when you attend "THEIR" school that you will do as they say when they say.
If you do not like it, don't attend their school.
In case you did not know, public schools are privately owned.
But schools know they can get away with this as 99 percent of "parents" cannot home school their kids as they are fighting the financial monster they have created.
Boat payment, 2 car payments, ATV payments, hot tub payment, house payment, cable, cell phone plan, Etc.
Parents just don't have time for their kids anymore because of their gadgets, that is the simple fact.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by musicjunkie

Yes, if the girl turned into a disruption then yes!
Are you by chance saying that JustinB is a good musician and such???
edit on 19-4-2013 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
quad post plz delete.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
quad post plz delete.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by musicjunkie

Are you by chance saying that JustinB is a good musician and such???

Not at all. I, in fact, think Beiber is a bad influence and a poor excuse for a musician (same as my hypothetical teacher, lol). But I also wouldn't confront a teenage fan of his with that opinion because that would be disrespectful and rude and would invite equal disrespect and rudeness to be directed at myself.

If I don't want to hear someones opinion of something, I won't discuss that topic with them. Not state my own opinion and then get upset when they give me theirs.

I would think that a teacher of kids in that age group would understand what talking to them is like.

*edit*

And unless the kid threatened the teacher or others, I still don't see what justifies an arrest...aside from a petty charge that it sounds like the teacher could be equally guilty of.
edit on 19-4-2013 by musicjunkie because: to add the stuff after where it says: *edit*

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
i find it to be quite disturbing how people are trying banish the 1st amendment too... that shirt only caused distraction in the classroom because people made a big fuss about him supporting his second admendment

im glad i got to graduate before all these liberals started getting more hot headed and more idiotic

i wish i could find out what charge he got

im suprised by this yet not suprised, i hear and read so many stories about people overreacting about things similar to this

edit on 20-4-2013 by stankybudz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
We the people need to take back our country. We the people need to take back our world. Simple as that.
Viva la revolution!
edit on 19-4-2013 by jjsr420 because: viva la revolution!

Start small. By people saying "we need to take back our country", they are creating a mountain too big to climb. Instead, people need to focus on taking back their communities and helping other people take back their own community.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Apparently "Gun Free Zones" (public schools) are "First Amendment Restricted Zones" as well.

Minors—in school—generally do not have the same first Amendment protections. That is a fact.

reply to post by ProfessorChaos

arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process

Ok, the disrupting the education process i can almost see, even if i might not agree with it being a charge, but a means for suspension, possibly (due to school code and the reduction of first amendment rights for kids in school). But the obstruction? He was NOT arrested for resisting arrest, but for obstruction. Obstruction of WHAT? This is ridiculous.

This is why we have problems with somany officers in schools, as this thread discussed. Instead of strict disciplary action, kids are getting CHARGED for a bunch of BS. This case is not so much about zero tolerance, I don't think, because the issue is now not about the image of the gun on the shirt per se, but the wearing of the shirt itself, the "confrontation," and the subsequent suspension and criminal charges.

Jared's attorney Ben White says that wasn't the police department's call to make.

"He was arrested, he was put into handcuffs, he was removed from the school and brought to the Logan City Police Department," White said. "Charges aren't officially filed or brought until the prosecuting attorney's signs off on them and they don't do that willy nilly. They do that after a thorough investigation."

That investigation is now under way, led by juvenile prosecuting attorney Sabrina Deskins.

I'm glad that the investigation is still ongoing, and that the family attorney is now involved.

Jared returned to class, fresh off of suspension, wearing the same exact shirt that initiated the "t-shirt control" controversy in the first place.

This kid gets props, although I wonder if his father had any part in his decision....I wasn't that ballsy until i was in high school, and the shirts I work i was simply made to turn inside out (one depicted a man's fellatio with a goat, the other, some quotations).

2nd updated article

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Truthfully there are no rights in public schools, some even MAKE you wear a uniform.

What's wrong with that?
Don't most adhere to a standard of dress in the workplace? Gets them used to it.
Do you know how much bullying is about brand clothing, and picking on poorer kids for their clothing? Uniforms eliminate these snap judgements.
Uniforms can also help students feel PART of something.
There are some good arguments for uniforms in schools, and the only con is lack of freedom of expression.

Kids aren't in school to express themselves...they can do that in all the other hours of the day and weekend.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Great, now he's gonna always have this on his record. Of course, they wipe your record which is nice when you turn 18. I hope these teachers\principal\whoever called the cops and got him suspended will get fired or severely punished, this is not appropro behavior.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join