It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next-Gen Li-Ion Battery Tech Can Recharge in Seconds - 2000x More Powerful, 1000x Faster Recharge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Developed by researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the new microbatteries out-power even the best supercapacitors and could drive new applications in radio communications and compact electronics.

University of Illinois’ battery, which has a higher power density than a supercapacitor, and yet comparable energy density to current nickel-zinc and lithium-ion batteries. According to the university’s press release, this new battery could allow for wireless devices to transmit their signals 30 times farther — or, perhaps more usefully, be equipped with a battery that’s 30 times smaller. If that wasn’t enough, this new battery is rechargeable – and can be charged 1,000 times faster than conventional li-ion batteries. In short, this is a dream battery.

With currently available power sources, users have had to choose between power and energy. For applications that need a lot of power, like broadcasting a radio signal over a long distance, capacitors can release energy very quickly but can only store a small amount. For applications that need a lot of energy, like playing a radio for a long time, fuel cells and batteries can hold a lot of energy but release it or recharge slowly.

“There’s a sacrifice,” said James Pikul, a graduate student and first author of the paper. “If you want high energy you can’t get high power; if you want high power it’s very difficult to get high energy. But for very interesting applications, especially modern applications, you really need both. That’s what our batteries are starting to do. We’re really pushing into an area in the energy storage design space that is not currently available with technologies today.”

These huge advances stem from a brand new cathode and anode structure, pioneered by the University of Illinois researchers. In essence, a standard li-ion battery normally has a solid, two-dimensional anode made of graphite and a cathode made of a lithium salt. The new Illinois battery, on the other hand, has a porous, three-dimensional anode and cathode. To create this new electrode structure, the researchers build up a structure of polystyrene (Styrofoam) on a glass substrate, electrodeposit nickel onto the polystyrene, and then electrodeposit nickel-tin onto the anode and manganese dioxide onto the cathode.

The end result is that these porous electrodes have a massive surface area, allowing for more chemical reactions to take place in a given space, ultimately providing a massive boost to discharge speed (power output) and charging

With so much power, the batteries could enable sensors or radio signals that broadcast 30 times farther, or devices 30 times smaller. The batteries are rechargeable and can charge 1,000 times faster than competing technologies – imagine juicing up a credit-card-thin phone in less than a second. In addition to consumer electronics, medical devices, lasers, sensors and other applications could see leaps forward in technology with such power sources available.

“Any kind of electronic device is limited by the size of the battery – until now,” King said. “Consider personal medical devices and implants, where the battery is an enormous brick, and it’s connected to itty-bitty electronics and tiny wires. Now the battery is also tiny.”

news.illinois.edu...
www.extremetech.com...
www.treehugger.com...
www.foxnews.com...

Seems as amazing news
I couldn´t imagine charging my cell or laptop in seconds, not consider all the possible uses in other areas
Amazing discovery, great job by the researchers

edit on 18-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
At last something good comes from Illinois.

I just don't think that the average folk will be able to afford it.

He'll I can't really afford lithium ion for my cordless tools.

I still have nicad.

Good read thanks.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This, if it works, could change the face of the car industry.

Imagine what it would do if electric cars became viable and affordable for the common person.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

Imagine what it would do if electric cars became viable and affordable for the common person.

And that's precisely why this will most likely never see the light of day.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

Do you seriously think they'd let that happen?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
At last something good comes from Illinois.

I just don't think that the average folk will be able to afford it.

He'll I can't really afford lithium ion for my cordless tools.

I still have nicad.

Good read thanks.

The first computer cost several million dollars, now you can buy one for $100. Just as information technology grows exponentially, the cost moves downward the same way.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

I agree,

I am glad that my grandchildren might be able to afford one of these batteries.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good catch OP

Now I will add this to the list of great inventions never to see the light of day!

This is exactly what happens every time! The paper is written, published and woof, nothing is ever heard of it again. The University gets an influx of much needed funds, the discoverers get a very hefty bonus. The patent is applied for and sold to big oil and sits on a shelf with all the other patents.

Every time! Damn it, when will the world change! We could have been living on Mars by now or have multiple space habitats. Hell, we should have had the first space station war of independence by now.

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Apple will buy it, we will see it in the iphone 7, lol
Would be nice actually.

This is will probably get bought by the government and used only by them.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Very cool tech! I like the fact that the battery does not use lithium as well. That stuff is not very wide spread and known deposits are located in politically charged areas such as Afghanistan, Bolivia and others. Fingers crossed.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Doubt that this battery will be released to the public but...just think, if used in the auto industry, the drop in emissions would clean the air and reduce the noise. As much as I enjoy the sound and feel of a Harley, I also prefer to run a scooter around town. An electric scooter the size of the 650cc Suzuki Burgman with all the power to go several hundred miles without a charge is pretty much the cats meow. Easy parking, plenty of space for shopping and the joy of being on a bike, now that's a winner. Not going to happen

You could even have a stylish e-car that preforms just as well as the gas models with all the clean benefits
However, the public will get the proverbial middle finger as this tech gets locked up.

edit on 4/18/2013 by pstrron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Never mind all the mundane uses this could be put to... what about powered servo suit technology? This would revolutionise that field completely. What about man portable lazer weaponry? There is a futurologists dream!

Heres the thing folks. We can worry about all the idiocy regarding the patents being bought, sold and buried, and we can worry about being priced out at the civilian level, but the POSSIBILITIES are absolutely staggering! Please excuse me while I boggle.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
well fingers crossed it comes to something

I dont buy into the conspiracy theorys about things being shelved, if apple or nokia had access to this, they would certainly use it, it would be a HUGE selling point

imagine a phone, same size as current, but its battery lasts for 30 days!

battery tech at this point is pretty pathetic, and its something we desperately desperately need to allow us to move on.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Sure is interesting. Combining this with other tech
it IS plausible to have, Cheap almost limitless
power.

Now, IF the inventions is burried. I dont wanna hear
another word about global warming. NOT ONE WORD.

top topics

join